Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2018, 11:57   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Bow and Stern Anchors

Ok, do power boaters get taught to always put out both bow and stern anchors? I’ve been in the anchorage for days and am back in the corner on a 3:1 scope. This morning powerboats up 50’ starting showing up and put down bow and stern anchors and rafting up. Now of course only the 2 sailboats are swinging the same. With a just right wind and swing the 12’ run about dead in the center, where the deepest was is because it needs 2.5’, is going be toast when I crush it.

Now the rafted up big boats with the little anchors are starting to pull up and move around. I would consider it entertainment, but it seems very unpredictable.
Old 01-07-2018, 13:41   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Bow and Stern Anchors

Usually the powerboats that do that do so to be very close to shore, often backing to it, so they can jump off and not get to wet to go to beach.
If not, they are doing it so when the tide changes, they don’t swing and run aground.
Very often they get out of the boat and walk around drinking beer right at the boat and where I am from play Molly Hatchet, 38 Special real loud on their Stereo’s.

But fear not, cause they soon will be gone, and won’t return until next weekend.
I assume they are close to the beach?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 14:35   #3
CLOD

Re: Bow and Stern Anchors

They aren’t close to the beach, they are now just close to me. It’s the Big ones I’m worried about. The nice ones that would be comfortable at night. Everyone is here to watch the fireworks. The last time I got mixed into an anchorage like this for the fireworks thinking they would leave after they started blasting their music, so I started playing my air horn.

I have at least 40’ to the rafted together $1m boats and their fancy wood sterns are facing the pointy end of my bow sprit. I have feeling they will get worried before me.
Old 01-07-2018, 15:27   #4

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Sailorboy1, I doubt they are too worried. By now they have alcohol induced courage. 4th of July weekend has its special challenges.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 15:30   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Bow and Stern Anchors

Those fancy sterns are painted. They were lined up in Stewart Fl for the fake wood paint job when I was there, cost averaged about $20,000 per boat, unless you wanted the big fish airbrushed on, then it went way up.
Of course they all got the fish.
Big boys are all insured, they aren’t worried
Old 01-07-2018, 16:06   #6
CLOD

There’s now 3 45’+ chin cruisers rafted up on that little tiny anchor I watched them drop this morning nd they have gon ashore.
Old 01-07-2018, 20:15   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

When idiots congregate, there are always those that can make money from them

https://youtu.be/wH9zQI-g9yY
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:05   #8

A few weeks ago a very loud jet boat was playing around the bay where I am anchored, well you could hear it when it started having trouble. .alot of current here & it was a little breezy that day..I watched it flounder for a while. Then I see a pontoon boat pull up to it as they had drifted way out of the channel & managed to grab a marker..then pontoon leaves them,it's getting close to dark. So I go in my dink & chat with the pontoon on the way by..he didn't want to tow so I felt bad for them so I rescued them & towed them a few miles back in..they were so happy not to be out there all night! They didn't have but about $15 on them and they promise to bring me a 50 the next day and went on and on about it. They were so happy. They told me I was their Savior and they would take care of me. Next day came and went. Never heard from him again. They barely gave me enough money for fuel. Now when they flounder I kicked back prop my feet up. And admire the entertainment. It's a shame some prick had to stop me from rescuing a few others because I didn't want to get burned again. But I guess I didn't do it for the money anyway. But it definitely left a bad taste in my mouth
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:27   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
When idiots congregate, there are always those that can make money from them

https://youtu.be/wH9zQI-g9yY

Made for shallow water “docking” [emoji1303]
Old 02-07-2018, 09:34   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Bow and Stern Anchors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kita View Post
A few weeks ago a very loud jet boat was playing around the bay where I am anchored, well you could hear it when it started having trouble. .alot of current here & it was a little breezy that day..I watched it flounder for a while. Then I see a pontoon boat pull up to it as they had drifted way out of the channel & managed to grab a marker..then pontoon leaves them,it's getting close to dark. So I go in my dink & chat with the pontoon on the way by..he didn't want to tow so I felt bad for them so I rescued them & towed them a few miles back in..they were so happy not to be out there all night! They didn't have but about $15 on them and they promise to bring me a 50 the next day and went on and on about it. They were so happy. They told me I was their Savior and they would take care of me. Next day came and went. Never heard from him again. They barely gave me enough money for fuel. Now when they flounder I kicked back prop my feet up. And admire the entertainment. It's a shame some prick had to stop me from rescuing a few others because I didn't want to get burned again. But I guess I didn't do it for the money anyway. But it definitely left a bad taste in my mouth

You didn’t get burned.
I “rescued” a boat and crew that had floundered and rolled upside down right at the “cut” in Panama City Fl. FWC showed up to watch and Seatow showed up with their hand out, had a pump in their boat , but wanted more money than the pump cost to allow its use.
Anyway Bubba and his crew from Alabama didn’t have that kind of cash and their boat is being ruined, I towed them back, got their boat righted and showed them how to get it onto the trailer by disconnecting the trailer, leaving the plug out of the boat and winching the trailer under the boat, then using their truck to slowly pull the Boat out as the water drained. Spent my whole day.
He tried numerous times to give me what they had, a couple of hundred bucks, but I wasn’t doing this for the money.
See I know the difference between him and I was just luck, and I Hope if I mess up that bad someone will help me, and not expect to make money doing so.
You could tell this little boat was something they had saved up for, normally was a lake boat of course, but they saved their money for a beach vacation.
I told him to take the money to the hardware store and buy a case of WD-40 and what to do with it, I hope he did cause I’m sure the outboard could be saved.

I figure what goes around, comes around. Help someone and one day it will be come back.
Although I was amazed by the lack of help when we were In the keys, more than once I pulled a little sailboat out of the shallows with my dinghy. You could tell they had no idea what they were doing
Anyway when I did people in the mooring field would be motoring by in their dinghies, the whole time and not stop. Sure would have been easier with two dinghies.

A year or so earlier, I got stupid and ran my little CC aground in the bay, while I was on the phone with Seatow, another Bubba showed up in his pontoon boat, got out waded to mine, tied us up and drug me off. I thanked him of course, but didn’t offer money, and he didn’t expect it either. That is just how it’s done in the South, you help people, out of habit I guess, or upbringing if you will.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:54   #11

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Ok, do power boaters get taught to always put out both bow and stern anchors? I’ve been in the anchorage for days and am back in the corner on a 3:1 scope. This morning powerboats up 50’ starting showing up and put down bow and stern anchors and rafting up. Now of course only the 2 sailboats are swinging the same. With a just right wind and swing the 12’ run about dead in the center, where the deepest was is because it needs 2.5’, is going be toast when I crush it.

Now the rafted up big boats with the little anchors are starting to pull up and move around. I would consider it entertainment, but it seems very unpredictable.
That sounds like, do sail boaters always get taught they have the right of way come hell or high water. I doubt your question is boat type specific.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:45   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You didn’t get burned.
I “rescued” a boat and crew that had floundered and rolled upside down right at the “cut” in Panama City Fl. FWC showed up to watch and Seatow showed up with their hand out, had a pump in their boat , but wanted more money than the pump cost to allow its use.
Anyway Bubba and his crew from Alabama didn’t have that kind of cash and their boat is being ruined, I towed them back, got their boat righted and showed them how to get it onto the trailer by disconnecting the trailer, leaving the plug out of the boat and winching the trailer under the boat, then using their truck to slowly pull the Boat out as the water drained. Spent my whole day.
He tried numerous times to give me what they had, a couple of hundred bucks, but I wasn’t doing this for the money.
See I know the difference between him and I was just luck, and I Hope if I mess up that bad someone will help me, and not expect to make money doing so.
You could tell this little boat was something they had saved up for, normally was a lake boat of course, but they saved their money for a beach vacation.
I told him to take the money to the hardware store and buy a case of WD-40 and what to do with it, I hope he did cause I’m sure the outboard could be saved.

I figure what goes around, comes around. Help someone and one day it will be come back.
Although I was amazed by the lack of help when we were In the keys, more than once I pulled a little sailboat out of the shallows with my dinghy. You could tell they had no idea what they were doing
Anyway when I did people in the mooring field would be motoring by in their dinghies, the whole time and not stop. Sure would have been easier with two dinghies.

A year or so earlier, I got stupid and ran my little CC aground in the bay, while I was on the phone with Seatow, another Bubba showed up in his pontoon boat, got out waded to mine, tied us up and drug me off. I thanked him of course, but didn’t offer money, and he didn’t expect it either. That is just how it’s done in the South, you help people, out of habit I guess, or upbringing if you will.

We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:07   #13

Boat: Boatless

Where are you???

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:37   #14

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

The best way to raft in a protected anchorage is with boats pointing in opposite directions, each using their own bow anchor. When I was a fisherman, I rafted with as many as 6 other boats. Each setting their own anchor and facing opposite of the boat they tie to. A boat can leave the middle without too much disruption to the other boats.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 16:51   #15
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
That sounds like, do sail boaters always get taught they have the right of way come hell or high water. I doubt your question is boat type specific.
Must have missed than lesson.

Tags
anchor