Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2021, 17:43   #1

Boat: Columbia 28
Bow roller

Found an “almost” new horizontal windlass to be installed (DIY) on my Columbia 28.
? Is there a magic number as to how far outboard I need to put the “roller” of my bow roller. I’m using a 15 lb Danforth with 35 ft of chain and 100 ft of rode.
Thx
Hal Wenk
halwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 03:14   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: Bow roller

No magic number. It's nice if the roller puts things far enough out that you don't ding up the gelcoat every time you weigh anchor. It's also nice to put it close enough in that you can reach the bolts when you're sweating in the forepeak during installation.
Old 07-07-2021, 05:00   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

The distance from the windless to the roller is also important. Think about the anchor shaft coming up above the roller and then pivoting to the horizontal. That's a triangle that puts a mighty load on the windless. If the distance is short, then the triangle has a large angle at the windlass and a proportionally greater load on the windlass motor. If the distance is REALLY short, you risk the chain jumping the windlass because it's arriving at an angle.
Old 07-07-2021, 05:26   #4

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

The green frog is right on the money. Here is another suggestion or two.
Put a strong point on your stem just above the waterline. Attach a strong block.
Run your snubber from your chain or rope to the block then up to your deck.
This will help your boat ride up and over waves rather than dig her bow into green water. Takes a lot of strain off your roller unless the snubber breaks.
In Alaska, the fishermen use big floats to help support the weight of the chain.
From the floats, the chain and snubbers run almost parallel to the surface of the sea to the boat.
I was taught a simple formula for anchor size. One pound / ft waterline and 2 pounds per foot for storm anchor. My big storm anchors are huge Fortress.
Happy trails to you.
The manatee crew.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote