Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2011, 17:30   #31

Boat: PETERSON 44
Agree what I found was the added weight changed the way I anchored. The flaw in the chain lead became a real issue the method and approach are different. My windless still has power enough . It is a consideration when sizing up. I didn't account for it until I realized the added heft really tipped the scale and things needed modification. I should add that I single hand and that amplifies issues. Mere off topic thought
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 18:41   #32

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
Re: Bruce Anchor for Eastern Caribbean ?

by the way, if you like the rocna type but dont want a rocna for whatever reason then a manson is quite similar.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 19:42   #33

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31 - Cielo Azul

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
The weight and handling is always an issue until you give up the thought you can handle it with muscles. In our case, a 176lb Bruce simply means that you're not even gonna think about that. Still, handling this has never been easier in all the years I'm out with boats... I dare to state it's easier than the 7lb hooker in my dinghy. But the design of chain locker, windlass, rollers etc. better be good so that it just always works push-button easy.

ciao!
Nick.
And if the windlass breaks?
Tom
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 19:56   #34
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
Tom
Every boat has plenty winches and rope. Remember that smaller anchors are never safer, not even when the bigger anchor can only be handled with a windlass/winch.

I once lifted 60' of 3/8" chain + anchor (the 176lb one) with a halyard using a Lewmar 44 winch... no problem.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 05:07   #35

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
Tom
Cruising is all about using your intelligence to overcome problems and continue on or even continue living. If you cannot do that then find some other activity, most probably on land, to engage in where the government or a committee will save your butt.
- - As sv/ Jedi basically said, no big deal - you use line and winch to recover the anchor. I use my Lewmar electric halyard winch and a spare length of line with a chain hook. If the anchor is really stuck then I use an Anderson primary manual winch.
Attached Images

osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:47   #36

Boat: PAE, Mason, 44 - Music

The original bruce is an great anchor, but you have to have it properly sized. It always sets, it always resets after a wind change and if properly sized it really digs down deep in a blow. I think most folks that complain about them had under sized bruce's. Your bruce sounds small for the boat. I also carry a very large CQR for the really soft bottoms where a plow will dig in deep. I seldom use the CQR.
In the easter carib i've never had a bruce, we always had CQRs and they worked very well in the coral sand. Just have to make sure you are in the sand and not on a grass patch!
ardoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 15:13   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Every boat has plenty winches and rope.
For some reason I thought you were a motor vessel.
Tom
Old 05-08-2011, 16:21   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardoin View Post
. I also carry a very large CQR for the really soft bottoms where a plow will dig in deep.
In really soft bottoms the plow anchor is going to live up to it's name...I think Danforth type would make a better choice, IMHO.
Tom
Old 18-09-2011, 15:01   #39

Boat: 1988 Heritage East Sundeck 36'

Used a CQR from Florida to Luperon, Dominican Republic until I experienced dragging in Luperon Bay. Switched to a bruce & have done fine since in this muddy bottom. Used the CQR all the way to Trinidad previously with good results. Had a new delta once but someone stole it after Ivan in Grenada so never got to employee it.
moonchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 15:32   #40

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

My suggestion would be instead of worrying too much, use the anchor you've got but be vigilant until you feel secure. We use a 20kg Bruce on a 12 ton cutter and have done so for many years without problems in all kinds of bottom conditions.
If you use a sensible anchoring technique ( scope, setting the anchor etc) you should have little to worry about. I have seen many people ignore all the basic rules of anchoring but then blame the anchor when they drag!!
There is also the possibility of running weight about half way down your chain to take the snatch out and make the drag on the anchor more horizontal.

Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 16:22   #41

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

You will find all the basic bottom conditions in the eastern Caribbean from rocks to sand to hard pack to grass to mud. So plan your anchoring accordingly. I believe in having more than one type anchor available first to be able to match the anchor to the sea bottom and secondly to have a spare ready to go should it be necessary to jettison (cut loose) the primary anchor.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, Caribbean, eastern caribbean