Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2021, 15:23   #181
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: Bruce or CQR

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Good luck then.......

This lady is a beast on the piano.

Nice!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2021, 15:58   #182

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
See
Attachment 246084
We have something in common!
Very nice.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2021, 08:18   #183

So the verdict is stay with the CQR but replace the chain, remove the swivel, replace the worst shackle and paint the rust stain foredeck.

And now keep an eye out for newer CQR or maybe a Mantus M2 17lb
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0484[1].jpg
Views:	56
Size:	433.9 KB
ID:	246105   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0550[1].jpg
Views:	65
Size:	436.2 KB
ID:	246106  

Name:	IMG_0553[1].jpg
Views:	58
Size:	433.2 KB
ID:	246107   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0547[1].jpg
Views:	54
Size:	418.8 KB
ID:	246108  

Name:	IMG_0548[2].jpg
Views:	49
Size:	421.5 KB
ID:	246109  
Old 29-09-2021, 08:24   #184
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
So the verdict is stay with the CQR but replace the chain, remove the swivel, replace the worst shackle and paint the rust stain foredeck.

And now keep an eye out for newer CQR or maybe a Mantus M2 17lb
Q I didn't see in the thread what size your CQR is.
Just curious. As I use a 35 which actually weighs 41 .
Old 29-09-2021, 08:30   #185
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Bruce or CQR

Quote:

This lady is a beast on the piano.

I second that.. her hands fascinated me, so expressive on the keys, making them seem the instrument...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2021, 08:33   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Q I didn't see in the thread what size your CQR is.
Just curious. As I use a 35 which actually weighs 41 .
Mine is a 20 lb'er......
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0511[1].jpg
Views:	53
Size:	451.5 KB
ID:	246110   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0515[1].jpg
Views:	60
Size:	446.1 KB
ID:	246111  

Name:	IMG_0553[1].jpg
Views:	53
Size:	433.2 KB
ID:	246112  
Old 29-09-2021, 08:38   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I second that.. her hands fascinated me, so expressive on the keys, making them seem the instrument...
Yeah, she must have been playing since she was a child. My sister played the earlier part but not the later section. She would be practicing while I was doing homework as a kid and the music just stays with you

I definitely remember the right hand thumb and little finger movement from my sister's playing

He is another video of her where you may be a able to see her hands better.......she's older here

Old 29-09-2021, 08:42   #188

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
So after another night in a narrow spot with maybe 50 yards of space before the depth went to 2' ( I draw 4') with winds near 20 knots most of the night, I was thinking maybe I should replace my rusty chain and possibly use the one off Bruce anchor that came with the boat (along with the CQR on the bow).

The CQR has held in 20 - 30 knots with onshore winds and 2'-3' waves so it has been a good anchor..

The chain attached to the Bruce is heavier and maybe 40' and has never been used nor has the rope rode.

This last time I was in protected waters and went in close to get out of the waves but the wind was still shooting thru there and I was in so close I had very little space as the boat turned circles with the tide.

It gives you things to consider at 11, 12, 1 am, 2am, and 3am as you continue to wakeup with the rope rode stretching and moving on the bow.

Hmm, CQR vs Bruce.

It's hard question. I think I can give some advice, since I've dragged both types of anchors on multiple occasions.

CQR is the whimsical choice, perhaps, because not only does it provide excellent dragging performance, but it entertains by skipping along the seabed instead of setting. Sea Panope's and Noelex's excellent videos which show directly how this happens. So you get double fun for your money with the CQR -- fun while setting it, then fun again when it blows up in the middle of the night. I'd say that's value for money.

The Bruce just doesn't set at all in many bottom types, so provides quite an interesting drag experience. In certain types of bottom you just slowly drag across the anchorage even in mild conditions. So you get a kind of slow motion tour, get to practice your transits, meet your neighbors (sometimes too closely).

So it's hard to say which one to choose. They are both actually outstanding draggers. Why some people buy modern anchors like Spade, Mantus, etc. I have no idea -- I mean, what do they DO at anchor? Just sleep? How boring that must be.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2021, 09:02   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Hmm, CQR vs Bruce.

It's hard question. I think I can give some advice, since I've dragged both types of anchors on multiple occasions.

CQR is the whimsical choice, perhaps, because not only does it provide excellent dragging performance, but it entertains by skipping along the seabed instead of setting. Sea Panope's and Noelex's excellent videos which show directly how this happens. So you get double fun for your money with the CQR -- fun while setting it, then fun again when it blows up in the middle of the night. I'd say that's value for money.

The Bruce just doesn't set at all in many bottom types, so provides quite an interesting drag experience. In certain types of bottom you just slowly drag across the anchorage even in mild conditions. So you get a kind of slow motion tour, get to practice your transits, meet your neighbors (sometimes too closely).

So it's hard to say which one to choose. They are both actually outstanding draggers. Why some people buy modern anchors like Spade, Mantus, etc. I have no idea -- I mean, what do they DO at anchor? Just sleep? How boring that must be.
Well thanks.

In my part of the world though, the CQR performs very well which is why I have decided to stay with it as I have for the last 10 years with it dragging only twice in that period at almost the exact same location one of which had breaking waves coming in and I had from 1'-3' of water under the keel. The rode was also on the leeward side of the keel (after tide and wind rotations) and the boat was being forced stern to waves and wind

As luck would have it the current took me to deeper water. At which time I moved the boat in pitch black dark I had been up since 3 am trying to swing the boat with the tiller because I didn't want to use the engine and just decided to wait it out .......but the anchor finally started to drag.

I moved to between the fish trap pilings and anchored in 25' and sleep 4 hours......as the wind and waves slowly laid down...... At this anchorage when I reset I have about 70 yards to the shore with an onshore 15-20 knot wind totally exposed

I had been anchored just behind Fisherman's Island (the Atlantic is to the left) then moved to the right and anchored between fish trap piling on either side about 120 yard apart
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FI.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	246116   Click image for larger version

Name:	FT.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	246117  

Old 29-09-2021, 09:10   #190
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hmm, CQR vs Bruce.

Perhaps you should revisit Steve's latest CQR video where he evaluates a genuine CQR it actually preforms quite well in most substrates. And seems to have minimal drag in reset on the veer testing .
https://youtu.be/jKHzvfO1UfY
Old 29-09-2021, 09:15   #191

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Well thanks.

In my part of the world though, the CQR performs very well which is why I have decided to stay with it as I have for the last 10 years with it dragging only twice in that period at almost the exact same location one of which had breaking waves coming in and I had from 1'-3' of water under the keel. The rode was also on the leeward side of the keel (after tide and wind rotations) and the boat was being forced stern to waves and wind

As luck would have it the current took me to deeper water. At which time I moved the boat in pitch black dark I had been up since 3 am trying to swing the boat with the tiller because I didn't want to use the engine and just decided to wait it out .......but the anchor finally started to drag.

I moved to between the fish trap pilings and anchored in 25' and sleep 4 hours......as the wind and waves slowly laid down...... At this anchorage when I reset I have about 70 yards to the shore with an onshore 15-20 knot wind totally exposed

I had been anchored just behind Fisherman's Island (the Atlantic is to the left) then moved to the right and anchored between fish trap piling on either side about 120 yard apart

I'm glad you've had good luck with it. Of course, joking aside, CQR's CAN be gotten to hold, if the bottom is really good and the weather not too bad. Sometimes anyway.

I spent 10 years with one of those infernal things and had many hair-raising nights with it. I didn't know any better -- it was supposed to be state of the art back then (80's-'90's) so thought that dragging just came with the territory. Hardly slept at anchor unless it was very calm and very good holding.

What a revelation when we bought one of the first Spades to come out in the late 90's. Night and day. I now have maybe 15 years on various Spades and never dragged one once, even in all kinds of hairy weather. My latest one held us in a storm on less than 2:1 scope in Greenland.

I suggest you might actually want to try one of these, or anything else more modern. The technology has improved a lot.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2021, 09:23   #192
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Bruce or CQR

Quote:
Hmm, CQR vs Bruce.

Gotta wonder at your technique.. and I've anchored along the S Coast from the IOW West.. France, Channel Isles, Nth Spain, Portugal and around the Med with Bruces and CQR's.. okay sometimes they don't grab at first drop but one half expects that considering the many types of bottoms there are.. but a quick look at the chart and peep over the side gives one an idea..
Alcudia for example is rife with grass but there are bald spots if you look for them.. drop the hook into one of those and your good, miss and hit the grass.. Your gonna drag.
Not having a dig, just wondering how experiences can be so different apart from the size factor... Me small..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2021, 09:33   #193
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Mine is a 20 lb'er......
Ok I bet your dragging issues have something to do with what 99% of dragging ( regardless of anchor) is directly related that your vessel is at the upper limit of the anchor.

As my not dragging ever is likely related to my 29 ft sailboat using a 35 pounder .
Rated for 35 to about 50 on the top end.

DH I bet your not dragging with a Spade anchor is directly related to the anchor being slightly oversized and the old CQR being slightly undersized for the vessel you were on at the time
Old 29-09-2021, 10:10   #194

Quote:
I'm glad you've had good luck with it. Of course, joking aside, CQR's CAN be gotten to hold, if the bottom is really good and the weather not too bad. Sometimes anyway.

I spent 10 years with one of those infernal things and had many hair-raising nights with it. I didn't know any better -- it was supposed to be state of the art back then (80's-'90's) so thought that dragging just came with the territory. Hardly slept at anchor unless it was very calm and very good holding.

What a revelation when we bought one of the first Spades to come out in the late 90's. Night and day. I now have maybe 15 years on various Spades and never dragged one once, even in all kinds of hairy weather. My latest one held us in a storm on less than 2:1 scope in Greenland.

I suggest you might actually want to try one of these, or anything else more modern. The technology has improved a lot.
I was thinking I'd keep an eye open for a Mantus M2 17 lb'er.

The Excel seems to be mainly sold in Europe
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Anchors.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	400.6 KB
ID:	246118  
Old 29-09-2021, 10:16   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Ok I bet your dragging issues have something to do with what 99% of dragging ( regardless of anchor) is directly related that your vessel is at the upper limit of the anchor.

As my not dragging ever is likely related to my 29 ft sailboat using a 35 pounder .
Rated for 35 to about 50 on the top end.

DH I bet your not dragging with a Spade anchor is directly related to the anchor being slightly oversized and the old CQR being slightly undersized for the vessel you were on at the time
I wouldn't say I've had a dragging issue since it only happened twice in 10 years, at about the same spot, in very bad conditions compounded by the rode being on the leeward side of keel and stern to waves and wind.

Boat displacement is 6000-6700lbs; 8' beam.

Tags
cqr