Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2024, 14:55   #1

Question Catamaran Sailboat Storage

Hello everyone,

I’m new to this website and it was my dream of owning a catamaran sailboat got me here. I was wondering if you, folks, would be so kind as to give your thoughts on the storage of a catamaran sailboat (say, like the Gemini 105mc). I plan to have it in Florida, while I live on the other side of the country. Would I be able to store it full time at a personal dock? I would plan to get a parcel on some sailboat accessible canal. What I mean by storing it full time really implies three questions.

1. Can I leave it there during the hurricane season? I heard attaching it to trees in a spider-web fashion across the canal (pending your neighbors’ concurrence and to your property works? Or is dry storage much much better?

2. What do you do for sun protection? I heard that covering it with tarps is detrimental because of moisture entrapment. I tried to think of a solution to suspend the tarps above the boat but the standing rigging doesn’t make it easy. Will the tarps survive a hurricane (of course, heavy duty and securely attached)?

3. Is it safe to leave your boat like that at an empty parcel with a dock? I know that depends on many variables, but if anyone has similar experience, I would appreciate any thoughts. What if the parcel had a garage on it?

I would greatly appreciate any and all your help! Is there a Gemini 105 channel here or elsewhere that I could explore?

Thanks!
RNM7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, dock, gemini 105, hurricane, sailboat, storage, Tarps