Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2019, 16:25   #46

Boat: Catalina, 42 Mk2
Re: Chain Markers

Sprayed the chain red for 1/2 metre to indicate anchor on the water line so clear to move/wash anchor.
Every 5 metres has blue cable tie and every 10 metres has 1 yellow painted mark + 1 white cable tie. e.g.
10 metres 1 yellow mark + 1 cable tie
20 metres 2 yellow marks + 2 cable ties etc.
If I loose a cable tie I replace as required.

Cheers, Mark
Larks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 17:59   #47
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I’m still wondering what is wrong with just using in my case our Vesper to tell me how far I am from the anchor? Why bother marking it?
As soon as the anchor goes down we set the Vesper as it’s our anchor alarm, it seems to be extremely accurate, with wind and current shifts you can see it draws a perfect circle with the anchor on the middle, so you know it’s right.

Since I can’t really see the paint anymore, I used cheap lacquer paint, I’ve been using the Vesper to measure chain.

Several reasons.

1. I like a mark near the end of the chain so that I don't let it run tight against the bitter end. I like a mark telling me when the anchor is nearly up.
  2. Many boats--perhaps not yours-- attach the snubber well before the rode is straight. Thus, they need to measuring the rode that is out, not position. They also do this from the bow.
  3. You have no way of knowing how long it took the anchor to drag in, so your length measurement is, in some cases, a guess.
I suppose you can use GPS to double check... but as a primary method, I'm not interested. In fact, it seems like more work. Perhaps that is because I always anchor from the bow anyway, in spite of having helm windlass controls.
Old 21-03-2019, 18:45   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Chain Markers

I let out about 3 or 4 to one, lock it down with the chain stopper and pull on it in reverse, assuming it holds I then put on the snubber, which takes me to about 4 to 1, which unless I think a storm is coming, or I have mucho room I leave.
However I have a stupidly oversized anchor, a 40 kg Rocna on a 38’ Boat.

I have a half barrel of chain, which I think is 275’ of chain. I almost never have more than 100’ or so out, so it’s not an issue.

Attaching the snubber and then finding out the anchor didn’t set is a one time learning experience.

I have to anchor from the bow, the chain stopper won’t let chain out unless I’m there holding it open.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 19:13   #49
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
... Attaching the snubber and then finding out the anchor didn’t set is a one time learning experience....

Well... no.

Multihulls use bridles, so we use a snubber every time, and setting the anchor without it doesn't work well. You might feel it in without the bridle, but you don't power set without one and expect it to work well.

It's really not a big deal and it doesn't happen often.

---

But didn't you just make a good case for marking the chain? You had to measure scope... are you standing there with your Vesper, on the bow? Marking seems easier.
Old 25-03-2019, 07:40   #50

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

We use nylon spinnaker cloth, 2" by 1-2 feet, tied through a link, marked with permanent marker. Different colors denote 25', 50' and 100' intervals.

These can be seen day or night and at a distance, and underwater. They last varying length of time depending on the nature of the bottom, the one pictured is about three years old. Kind of ragged but still works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	082939-Chain Marker.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	188656  
Old 25-03-2019, 07:59   #51

Boat: 38' self built cutter (1990)

In 40 years of sailing: at the beginning I always used red fluo paint, but had to repaint every year. Gave a try to zip ties, but they came off too easily, and were difficult to see. Then, 8 years ago, I gave a try to the coloured plastic bits you mentioned - and was rather skeptical, imagining they would come off very quickly. After 8 years, they are all at their place, and we anchor off almost always, and move often. I imagine that it could also depend on the make of the chain, galva vs inox, calibrated/uncalibrated. I would try one color series, before buying more. As for the code, on my 10 mm calibrated galvanised chain I use red/yellow/green/blue at 10/20/30/40 mt, very easy to remember (red anchor is coming - the cooler the color, the deeper the water).
Visarend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 08:03   #52

Boat: Jeanneau SO 440

We use the plastic markers and have had good luck with them. I tried painting, but it wears off to quickly, and the zip ties break off, as others have noted. We use one color (red) and insert one plastic marker for each 10m of chain. I recently put together a YouTube video on the topic of marking your anchor rode, for more background on how we approach the topic. https://youtu.be/y9xbNVKI3oY
https://youtu.be/y9xbNVKI3oY
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-03-25 at 10.57.57 AM.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	372.3 KB
ID:	188661  
tgrimmett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 08:12   #53

Boat: Colegate 26

I think it was on YouTube channel Follow The Boat that they said they mark the chain at pre-calculated rode lengths rather than length of chain. So rather than a typical 25, 50, 75, 100, etc, they calculated 7:1 and marked at 49, 56, 63, 70, 77, 84, 91, 98, 105, etc.

Those are all examples. I don't know what they ACTUALLY did. I think it's an interesting idea. But I'm not certain it's better.

We are marked at 25' increments and usually round up and attach the snubber at a couple links past the marker. We also haven't had to contend with a tight anchorage yet, and seems to me, more rode is usually better.

Ah, marking device. I think you can't go wrong with a bunch of multicolored wire ties (leave the tails on!) or paint. Just make sure you update/correct it when you see it starting to wear. Wire ties are better for this as you can more easily slap on another two or three when you notice they're coming off, whereas paint requires the links to be dry, clean, and have time for the new paint to dry. Not easily done while on the boat, but the wire ties can be applied while actively setting the anchor, or even after the anchor is set! Just dive the chain and apply under water.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 08:58   #54
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabioC View Post
I am in the process of marking my anchor chain. I am trying to select the "best" marker (I know there is no such a thing as a best marker, just trying to select one possible solution) and I have a specific question.

There are plastic chain markers on the market. Osculati makes one, but there are several vendors making similar products, you can find in many marine stores:

https://www.osculati.com/en/11004-m-...rainbow-marker

I cannot find a single review of any of these things... Has anybody tried them? Do they work well?

Thank you!
I use a short strip of SAIL REPAIR TAPE folded over onto itself and marked every 50 feet. The stuff is tough and lasts a long time.

I've added a small cable tie to aid in seeing them come aboard but they don't last as long and have to be replaced.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 09:00   #55
Jes

You can buy 10-colorset of 10 meters waxed polypropylene 1,5 mm for 12 dollars.

For the use of colors: you can use any convention (as mentioned earlier).

I am using https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_color_code
It's also helpfull to mark the mooring lines with the same waxed cord, so that you know in advance which line has which length.
Jes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 09:01   #56

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

We use different colors of paint to mark each segment and post a water resistant card with the information visible from the windlass.
Old 25-03-2019, 09:06   #57

Boat: Lagoon 450

I put in the plastic markers. Did red, yellow, green blue. Put them every 25 feet. Repeating the pattern for the 250 feet of chain. We anchor all most every day and they work great. None have fallen out.
I went through the same debate as you and am happy with the decision. Paint chips off into the locker and the flakes are a PiTa to clean. Zip ties fall off. Rope can jam and is tough to see. The flags also can jam.
Get the plastic chain markers. They work
Old 25-03-2019, 09:14   #58

Boat: Rawson 30PH

I have given up marking my anchor rode - nothing consistently worked (fell/ wore off). We installed a chain counter and love it. Works for both the chain and line portions of the rode. I can even automatically drop a predetermined length and stop a retrieval just short or docking the anchor. The remote control fob is also very useful (just remember the extra batteries;-)
Captain Puget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 10:56   #59

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
We use 1/4” polypropylene rope ‘woven’ through the links - about a meter long for each ‘mark’. If I was more creative, I suppose I could color code it but now all our marks are red. I only mark at fifty foot intervals and I’ve never had a problem keeping track of how much chain is deployed.

Exactly the same here except my poly strands are orange. And I don’t use the full rope just a few strands.

Doesn’t wear off. Doesn’t work it’s way out. Goes through the gypsy smoothly. Good visibility.
Old 25-03-2019, 11:40   #60

Boat: Olson 40

I find small colored markers, cable ties, etc., difficult to see (assuming they aren't broken off) as the rode is let out in the dark of night. But in general, even in the relative dark, I can see Long (4in) and Short (2in) stretches of Black Ink (or paint) in a "Morse Code" (I call it) system:

25' One short
50' Two short
75' Three short
100' One Long
125' One Long, One short
etc.

Example: Three Long and Two Short = 350 feet.
tdgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote