Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2011, 13:09   #16
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Chain Snubber

I have nothing against the rolling hitch (use it myself now and then) but the chain hook only gets undone when it's not correctly deployed.

- never let out so much snubber that it can reach the seabed
- give enough slack in the anchor chain like on the photo I posted here

the weight of the chain below the hook plus that of the loop hanging down from above the hook, will make sure it stays attached.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 06:44   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
... This indicates to me that anchor loads are a lot lower than the ABYC guidelines.
Evidently, true for Static Loading; but not at all true for Dynamic loading.
Anchor Loads Revealed - By Don Dodds
http://northpacificresearch.com/down...d_revealed.pdf

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 17:35   #18

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
Evidently, true for Static Loading; but not at all true for Dynamic loading.
Anchor Loads Revealed - By Don Dodds
I try to avoid anchoring in unsheltered areas with large seas. In any case, like I said I've never had the 3/8" nylon snubber break while anchoring in winds of up to around 100 mph a few times, and numerous gales, though mostly in relatively sheltered places. However, if I was expecting strong winds like that I would add chafing gear, more snubber, and possibly even upgrade to maybe 1/2", but anything over that is overkill and defeating the purpose on a boat in the 20,000 lb. range. For normal day-to-day use, 3/8" is plenty. You want the snubber to provide some elastic give to cushion the loads on everything.
Old 23-05-2011, 19:11   #19

Boat: Morgan Out Island 416

Agree with Nick's points above (don't let hook reach bottom, drop a big loop of chain). We use a 25 or so foot length of 1/2" three strand nylon, with a stainless cunningham hook (I think that's what its called) on the end. The hook goes right thru a link on our 5/16" high test chain, and I let out the snubber and chain together, tie off the snubber, then drop a big loop of chain. I use a piece of garden hose at the bow roller, and another piece of hose from the cleat behind the windlass for a short bit where the snubber would otherwise chafe against the hawse pipe built into the windlass (we have a Simpson Lawrence Sea Tiger manual windlass). In light conditions I let out enough snubber to go from the bow roller to the water or a little deeper, and I will let out snubber rode as the wind builds if necessary. I try generally to keep the length of rode shorter than the depth of water, but if the wind's blowing then of course that doesn't matter. We've had 25' out in 8' of water in a hard blow. The 1/2" line provides great shock loading.

Dave
SV Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 05:57   #20

I've used a rolling hitch in the past and had a few occassions where it has come undone since I use a bridle with two lines coming from the boat so that as the boat "hunts" back and forth a load is one line and then the other. I now use a Klemheist Knot to tie the bridle to the rode (chain/line)and have no issues with that. It can be tied easily on deck and passes over the bow roller of the sprit.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 11:41   #21

Boat: Taswell 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
my favourite design:

ciao!
Nick.

Nick why the lashing instead of splicing directly to the hook?
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 17:52   #22

Boat: Hans Christian 48T

Perhaps I should add that I very rarely (if I can help it) anchor with less than 25ft under my keel. I just don't like being close to anything. I put out a lot of chain so that the shear weight of the scope acts as a spring. This way the load on the cleat always increases gradually and there are no shock loads, which is why I keep the snubber short.

Nick above recommends rightly keeping it so it doesn't touch the bottom, I would not be able! I always let out a lot more chain once the snubber is taught and even so, I have had the hook coming undone, and yes, it looked just like your picture, Nick. I just don't know what kind of movement causes it to let go. In the mean time I will stick to the rolling hitch. I'm also interested in the question above, why the lashings?

Best

M
Old 25-05-2011, 05:32   #23

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

My snubbers. They aren't nearly so white anymore.

Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 05:57   #24

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Auspicious,

Where did you buy those SS hooks with the keepers pins on the ends? Never seen those before.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 08:19   #25

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Google Wichard chain hook
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 09:30   #26

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Auspicious,

Nice. Going to have to buy one of those Winchard chain grips

Chain Grip Hook

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Winchard chain grip.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	27779  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 09:31   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Morgan View Post
Perhaps I should add that I very rarely (if I can help it) anchor with less than 25ft under my keel. I just don't like being close to anything. I put out a lot of chain so that the shear weight of the scope acts as a spring. This way the load on the cleat always increases gradually and there are no shock loads, which is why I keep the snubber short.
You will get the shock loads when you run out of catenary. Unfortunately, that's also just when the s**t is hitting the f*n in the anchorage. Personally, I like to put out a snubber commensurate with the chances of a bar-tight chain -- if there is a risk, then I use my big snubber let all the way out (10 meters). That's when you really need the snubber altogether.

Concerning your anchoring depths: I just read something surprising about them. That the dynamic loads on your ground tackle are directly related to the depth, NOT to scope in any meaningful way. The shallower the water, the bigger the dynamic loads. So anchored out in deep water with lots of chain out is a good way to do it from that point of view.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 15:33   #28

Boat: Hans Christian 48T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
You will get the shock loads when you run out of catenary. Unfortunately, that's also just when the s**t is hitting the f*n in the anchorage. Personally, I like to put out a snubber commensurate with the chances of a bar-tight chain -- if there is a risk, then I use my big snubber let all the way out (10 meters). That's when you really need the snubber altogether.

Concerning your anchoring depths: I just read something surprising about them. That the dynamic loads on your ground tackle are directly related to the depth, NOT to scope in any meaningful way. The shallower the water, the bigger the dynamic loads. So anchored out in deep water with lots of chain out is a good way to do it from that point of view.
Indeed, the deeper you anchor the more weight of chain (catenary) that is acting as a spring. If you use at least 4 times chain to depth ratio it is unlikely you will be pulling straight from the anchor under normal conditions. If I expect a stiff breeze I let out more. If it looks like all the chain will go out I'd rather fight it at sea. My concern is protecting the bowsprit and rigging, as the chain comes down from it, transmitting loads directly to the top of the mast etc. Here is where the snubber comes into play, going from the cleat through a hawse pipe to the chain via a hook or rolling hitch. I'm still sold on the knot for the time being.
Old 25-05-2011, 16:00   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Auspicious,

Nice. Going to have to buy one of those Winchard chain grips
Unfortunately the design of the little 'keeper pin' is not very robust and they often bend and jam.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 16:08   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Do be aware that in hurricane conditions a nylon snubber can melt from the heat of internal friction, and chafing gear can trap the heat. Things have to get really bad before this is an issue, but I have a friend who lost his boat on the beach when his snubbers gave way. He inspected the line-ends afterwards and they had melted from the inside, not chafed from the outside. I don't know if he had chafing gear on the lines.

There are ways to mitigate this problem, for example with sections of low-stretch line between the cleats and the fairleads, perhaps down to the waterline, thus keeping the nylon snubber submerged and cooled. It seems to me that going with a thicker and longer snubber would also help in this regard.

I've just got the standard nylon snubbers, but then I don't do enough exposed anchoring to make this an issue. If I were seriously cruising I would look at my options.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote