Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2023, 11:50   #1

Boat: Hunter Passage CC 42
Chain Stripper

I imagine the first thing that may rise (in the mind) with my subject line! Sorry to disappoint.

My 1993 hunter passage 42 has an outrageous anchor windlass design whose main problem is the very shallow drop when hauling in the chain. With nothing to pull it down, the chain then winds around the gypsy. Sometimes a chisel is required to undo the mess.

I solved part of the problem by replacing the motor. It runs slower, and reverses (so it's now more suitable for single- handing). However, the chain stripper, which appears to be cast metal, is broken. I asked hunter (unresponsive), searched the internet, and now I'm here...

What I need is a rough drawing of the original design. From this, I can have a few fabricated.

If you have one, please send a picture, as I might be able to approximate.

Broken stripper photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/DekcgdtBvkEYKZWG8
Thanks for your help!
K1MGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2023, 12:10   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Chain Stripper

What brand and model windlass?

Do you have the manual? With an exploded parts diagram?

-Chris
Old 25-07-2023, 12:37   #3

Boat: Hunter Passage CC 42

It's made by Maxwell. Vetus-Maxwell thinks it's a model 800, but they are not sure. The closest they can come to the design is this:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...1&d=1690313745

Which is not consistent with the remaining parts I have.

Unfortunately there's no manual / IPB with the boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7-25-2023 15-34-57.png
Views:	71
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	278691  
K1MGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2023, 03:42   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Perhaps yours is an older version of their 800? (No other identifying numbers anywhere? Like on the gypsy? Or on the motor?) Is it vertical or horizontal? And/or maybe parts -- like the stripper -- have slightly morphed over the years?

If the bolt dimensions are the same, and if the height of their new stripper mates up properly, maybe it'd be worth a try?

Or maybe worth taking a look at other, maybe older, Maxwell models that might be similar? (Maybe they have older manuals on their site?)

No manuals with boat is common. FWIW, it's not horribly difficult to scrape electronic copies of stuff from the 'net, store in a common folder or in a cloud for periodic reference...

-Chris
Old 26-07-2023, 04:07   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1MGY View Post
My 1993 hunter passage 42 has an outrageous anchor windlass design whose main problem is the very shallow drop “fall” when hauling in the chain. With nothing to pull it down*, the chain then winds around the gypsy.
IMO: That’s not a windlass problem - it’s a boat design problem.
As you note, your anchor locker isn't deep enough, for the amount of rode, you carry [stow].

The 'fall' is the vertical distance between the top of the anchor locker, and the top of the anchor rode [pile], when the entire rode is completely stored inside.
* The windlass does not stow the rode, inside the anchor locker; gravity stows the rode.

A Vertical windlass requires a Minimum fall of 406mm (18"), in order for gravity to pull the rode down into the locker.
A Horizontal windlass requires a Minimum fall of 304mm (12"), in order for gravity to pull the rode down into the locker

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote