Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2013, 08:41   #1

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Chain stripper for horizontal windlass

Gotten frustrated with my Maxwell HWC2200 windlass choking on my 5/16" HT chain rode! Yes, it will pull the gonads out of a bull with ease. But doing so, it hates relinquishing the chain to the halsepipe. And yes, I have Maxwell's chain stripper mounted into their halsepipe.

I have ripped the halsepipe from the deck a couple of times now because of the stripper. Has anybody else experienced such problems??

I don't know if I will have time this week to make up a decent stripper, one built with the steel and later with a better material. And I am going to try this without using a halsepipe by just having the chain drop though the hole in the deck.

Ideas??? Suggestions???

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 09:25   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Chain stripper for horizontal windlass

I assume you have already addressed the obvious, that is you have the exact chain for the gypsy on your windlass. I am shopping for new chain for my windlass and have purchased several 2' lengths of various types of chain to test. Even a very slight difference in the links can make a big difference in how the chain holds, jumps or jams in the gypsy.

The other obvious, is the chain castling in the rode locker? That will jam mine every time if I don't knock down the pile. Plan on deepening my locker at some point to stop that problem.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 09:41   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I assume you have already addressed the obvious, that is you have the exact chain for the gypsy on your windlass. I am shopping for new chain for my windlass and have purchased several 2' lengths of various types of chain to test. Even a very slight difference in the links can make a big difference in how the chain holds, jumps or jams in the gypsy.

The other obvious, is the chain castling in the rode locker? That will jam mine every time if I don't knock down the pile. Plan on deepening my locker at some point to stop that problem.

Yeah, have the right gypsy for 5/16" G4. Chain is few years old, supposed to be made by ACCO if I remember correctly. There is no jumping either letting the chain out or retrieving it. The stuff just sometimes hangs onto the gypsy such that a stripper is needed.

My opinions--- Maxwell makes a great windlass! Maxwell makes a sucky chain stripper.

TEEPEEing!!! Yes, that can also happen. I avoid that problem by having Wifey guide the chain into the chain locker thereby preventing the teepee problems.
Old 25-08-2013, 10:09   #4

It does sound like your chain doesnt fit your wildcat well. They used to say to test a picee of chain with your wildcat... regardless of chain spec. Other than that.... is the wildcat bronze or chromed? If bronze and rough ..possible to polish it in areas where the chain might be hanging up?
I having trouble understanding how you rip a hawse pipe out pulling chain in.... you mean when lowering the anchor somehow...? Is it the right stripper/hawse for the specific model windlass? Is there camber to your deck causing the stripper to not be located right?.. or too far from the groove in the wiildcat? Thinking out loud here.... :>)

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 13:50   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
It does sound like your chain doesnt fit your wildcat well. They used to say to test a picee of chain with your wildcat... regardless of chain spec. Other than that.... is the wildcat bronze or chromed? If bronze and rough ..possible to polish it in areas where the chain might be hanging up?
I having trouble understanding how you rip a hawse pipe out pulling chain in.... you mean when lowering the anchor somehow...? Is it the right stripper/hawse for the specific model windlass? Is there camber to your deck causing the stripper to not be located right?.. or too far from the groove in the wiildcat? Thinking out loud here.... :>)
The chain fits OK although it does not always drop freely from the SS gypsy while retrieving the anchor.

I pull the hawsepipe this afternoon along with the stripper which I will reinstall before next week's holiday. What I noticed was the gypsy was almost choke filled with seaweed. Maybe somehow that caused this latest stripper problem.

And you asked how pulling/retrieving the chain could rip out the hawsepipe??? Very simple, if the chain fails to be removed via the stripper, it loops the gypsy and when it builds, goodby hawsepipe.

Now all these things happen QUICKLY! My Maxwell retrieves chain at a rapid rate.
Old 25-08-2013, 15:19   #6

Boat: Pearson 33

Does it do this loaded or unloaded?
dugout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 16:59   #7

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
My Muir cougar will do the same if I use it to pull the boat to the anchor, if I power to the anchor it'll pull the slack chain with no problem. I did install a new chainpipe with a pic & it works very well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2814150016.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	66003
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 17:10   #8

Can you post a few pictures of what you have?

Also, if your chain has been stretched at all, that can change the dimensions of the links enough to cause trouble. A link gauge may not be a bad investment if you have reason to suspect that possibility.
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 17:11   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugout View Post
Does it do this loaded or unloaded?
Geez, the chain is always loaded whether the windlass is lowering or retrieving my 80# anchor. My problem could be a fluke after finding so much weed wrapped around the the gypsy. Its just that this has happened once before. That was why I posted to learn if others have ran into such problems.

Wifey is now getting gun shy about anchoring. First, a couple of weeks ago my MS 89# slipped. Yesterday getting the anchor up in 20-25K wind ran into another awe shucks. The anchor was pulled from the sea bed although not raised when the stripper/hawsepipe combo suddenly launched themselves onto the deck. Then I was screwed, I could not raise the remaining chain along with the anchor without the stripper. The chain just wrapped itself around the gypsy.

Consider the problem. Anchor no longer set but just dragging along the bottom and cannot be retrieved. I dragged the anchor while I powered to a mooring that Wifey could not reach in a crowed mooring/anchorage area. Fortunately she was able to secure the mooring pick up 3/8" three strand to hold my 40', completely enclosed power boat in the 20-25K constant wind. By powering the boat forward and then rushing from the helm to the bow several times, I finally passed a line through the mooring's eye to keep the boat in place.

Next I was able to free the jammed chain and work the windlass slowly while Wifey pull the chain from the windlass by hand until the anchor was stored.

A bad situation that I want to avoid in the future. Heck, if I put her though that again, she will insist that I use rental moorings priced nearly at $45-50/night.
Old 25-08-2013, 17:16   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
My Muir cougar will do the same if I use it to pull the boat to the anchor, if I power to the anchor it'll pull the slack chain with no problem. I did install a new chainpipe with a pic & it works very well.

Attachment 66003
Your chainpipe (hawsepipe) & stripper look identical to that which I have from Maxwell.

I try to power to the anchor while retrieving the chain. That is not always possible though with wind blowing teh bow all over the place.
Old 25-08-2013, 17:18   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiJim View Post
Can you post a few pictures of what you have?

Also, if your chain has been stretched at all, that can change the dimensions of the links enough to cause trouble. A link gauge may not be a bad investment if you have reason to suspect that possibility.
My chain has stretched many times. 5/16 G4 isn't going to change dimensions at all.

Don't have any pictures at least tonight and none of the event itself.
Old 25-08-2013, 20:16   #12

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post

Your chainpipe (hawsepipe) & stripper look identical to that which I have from Maxwell.

I try to power to the anchor while retrieving the chain. That is not always possible though with wind blowing teh bow all over the place.
I believe it is from Maxwell, I have twin power & just use the transmissions to steer to where the anchor is buried. After trashing the bow roller twice & a Imtra chainpipe twice I've learned to not get in a rush trying to retrieve the anchor & my chain is new Acco that was originally bought 13 years ago & not used till I bought the last 250' a couple of years ago. The wheel is in fine shape & the chain isn't stretched, in a hard pull with out a stripper on the pipe it will wrap around the wheel. I've redone my pulpit, went to a heavy duty roller assy. & went to the sturdier Maxwell pipe, but the most important thing is learning not to use the windlass to pull the anchor out of the bottom but to use the current & the boat to free it.

Name:	image-1284046271.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	66004

Name:	image-632396270.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	66005
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 04:58   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
My Muir cougar will do the same if I use it to pull the boat to the anchor, if I power to the anchor it'll pull the slack chain with no problem. Attachment 66003
...and to my point, there is loaded,(weight of chain and anchor) and there is LOADED, (weight of Boat being pulled with the Windlass to the anchor).
Old 26-08-2013, 07:32   #14

I try to avoid pulling the boat with the windlass. Sometimes it does get snugged when the wind takes charge. Twin screws help a great deal to minimize the windlass's load.

Next time on anchor, I will take greater care in the retrieval process. I am taking the hawsepipe & stripper home to fit it with SS threaded rod stock so it can be better fastened to the deck. I had screws holding it so bolting it should make it more secure.

My ACCO chain is only 7 years old and not used very much at all during those years. I could not reliably anchor at all until last season when I purchased the Manson Supreme anchor. Bruce 44 impossible in ell grass, Delta 55 plowed and my upgraded Delta 88 did the same thing.
Old 26-08-2013, 08:04   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
I try to avoid pulling the boat with the windlass. Sometimes it does get snugged when the wind takes charge. Twin screws help a great deal to minimize the windlass's load.
A deck mounted chain stopper will take a lot of stress off the windlass when wind and current aren't cooperating. Sort of a one way gate, chain comes in but won't go out.

This is what one type looks like;

good luck

Tags
wind, windlass