Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2015, 08:22   #16

Re: Changing the anchor light

When coming back from town, The normal mast type anchor light is almost undefinable against a background of stars or city lights. It is especially a bad way to see a boat on a foggy night. I ran spreader lights that were quite bright shining down on the cabin top. Of course I also had a very modern power supply that allowed me to draw the amperage to run those lights. Mac
Hard Rock Candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:52   #17

Quick easy fix to get through go to home Depoe and buy one of their yard solar lights ranges from $3 to $5.00 or go whole hog and buy one in a casing runs approx. $39.99 for two in a box. Some are brighter than others check there alum rating. I have 10 of the $20 variety on each side of my boat, they last about 8 hours after dark. I feel it wards off drunk pirates leaving the bars late at night in Key West. If your going for a long time fix a good fixture is in the West Marine catalog for approx. $199.00. Changing the bulb to LED will not work unless you use a resister to lower the volts. LED lights vary but most draw about .06 volts and using a 12.0 volt system will burn the bulb out. If you purchase a fixture from West Marine they are wired to handle the 12 V reduced to what they need and most have a sensor for light and it comes on automatically and shuts when the sun comes up. Mine also has a SOS signal or a strobe for emergencies. Set it and leave it.
jamestholtzinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:01   #18

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkintheplank View Post
Apparently the FWC officer thought I needed an anchor light when he wrote me up for not having proper navigational lighting. I'm kinda stuck right now with one hand out of service from surgery. Makes it a little challenging to climb the ladder. Thats why I was looking for someone that might know the bulb base style so I could limit the trips to the top. For now I'm trying to squeak by using a yard light on the main halyard. Just not very bright.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
As others have said, put it at deck level. Problem solved
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 14:07   #19

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkintheplank View Post
Apparently the FWC officer thought I needed an anchor light when he wrote me up for not having proper navigational lighting. I'm kinda stuck right now with one hand out of service from surgery. Makes it a little challenging to climb the ladder. Thats why I was looking for someone that might know the bulb base style so I could limit the trips to the top. For now I'm trying to squeak by using a yard light on the main halyard. Just not very bright.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
As Benz replied, if your on a mooring how do you get 'written' up for not having an anchor light? Are all the other boats on moorings have anchor lights on?

I'd find this odd as most boats still have manual switch on at dark anchor lights, which means the lights are on 24 hrs when left.

I find it a bit odd, like someone else on another thread got pinged for not having a bell on his boat. And yet boats under 12 m by law in most places don't need a bell at all?
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 15:47   #20

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamestholtzinge View Post
... Changing the bulb to LED will not work unless you use a resister to lower the volts. LED lights vary but most draw about .06 volts and using a 12.0 volt system will burn the bulb out. If you purchase a fixture from West Marine they are wired to handle the 12 V reduced to what they need and most have a sensor for light and it comes on automatically and shuts when the sun comes up. Mine also has a SOS signal or a strobe for emergencies. Set it and leave it.
Not true. Drop in LED replacement bulbs are cheap, dead simple to install and work great. They have built in voltage converters and are specifically designed as anchor lights.

Easy to find at any Chandler

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 08-03-2015, 16:27   #21

Boat: Camano Troll

Well the responses are all over the place as are the possible solutions but I would say that even though the price will be higher, an LED fixture, designed as an anchor light, with a built in dusk to dawn feature will be the most reliable solution in the long run.

Install it and turn the switch on and you're done.
Old 08-03-2015, 16:35   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamestholtzinge View Post
.......Changing the bulb to LED will not work unless you use a resister to lower the volts. LED lights vary but most draw about .06 volts and using a 12.0 volt system will burn the bulb out..
Individual LEDs need a means of controlling the current (not voltage)through the LED or they will burn out. Anything you buy mounted in a socket will already have some form of current limiting built in. A dropping resistor is the least sophisticated of several methods of limiting the current to one or more LEDs.
Old 08-03-2015, 16:36   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

The FWC is either abusing his authority or there's something about you're location that's unique. COLREGS requires NO lights on boats moored in designated areas; if you're on a legally placed mooring, it IS in a designated area. If you have the energy to do so, complain to the FWC's boss and to the Coast Guard--they must not be allowed to continue abusing with impunity.
Back to the topic, whatever light option you choose, consider having it lower down and more accessible.
Ben
zartmancruising dot com
Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 16:40   #24

Hi, instead of putting the light sensor at the top of the mast, put one in the wiring where you can reach it at cabin level. just make sure the light sensor can see the sky clearly with no obstructions.
Ard Righ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 05:52   #25

Boat: ODAY 28

if you go with a led light on your mast I would suggest get a led light assy. instead of just replacing bulb....
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:03   #26

The light sensor does not need to see the sky, only to see if it's light or dark. Under an overhang looking horizontally will work just fine and the overhang will protect it from sun and rain.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:42   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
COLREGS requires NO lights on boats moored in designated areas
The lighting requirements of the Colregs were written before low power consumption LEDs and solar panels were available. They are a minimum requirement, not best practice.

Having a light on a moored boat is sensible. I wish more people would do it. Boats entering the anchorage after dark will thank you for your consideration. It will reduce the chance of collision, theft and make your boat easier to find. A small solar panel will replace the self discharge of your batteries and keep up with the power requirements of the light.

The Feb 2015 issue of Practical Boat Owner has a simple DIY circuit to convert an anchor light to automatic.

The other option are to fit a slightly larger solar panel and leave the light on all the time, or some solar regulators have a load output that can be programmed to turn a light off and on.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:28   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
.........Having a light on a moored boat is sensible. I wish more people would do it. Boats entering the anchorage after dark will thank you for your consideration. It will reduce the chance of collision, theft and make your boat easier to find...................
I agree. Rather than try to decide if I should turn my anchor light on, I make it a practice no matter where I'm anchored (but not at a dock or marina). I figure the light is protecting my boat and my family.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:49   #29

Boat: 2001 Bavaria 37

I replaced my anchor light with one by Dr LED. They make replacement all-around anchor lights to fit most standard bayonet bases. Which one fit your boat? I've no clue- but swapping mine out was as easy as changing bulbs. But ditto on the suggestions for commonly found solar/LED fixtures.
Jim Krause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:02   #30
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"COLREGS requires NO lights on boats moored in designated areas"
So what? You guys should try reading the US Coast Pilot books. In some areas there are "special anchorages" versus "designated anchorages" and, under federal and local law, vessels may be required to keep a radio watch as well as show an anchoring light--depending on which anchorage type they are in. And that probably can include mooring fields, if the person in charge so dictates.

Not that FWC can't be wrong, but COLREGS are not the be-all and end-all of regulations on boaters here in the US.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor