Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2017, 18:54   #61

Boat: Delta 36
Send a message via Skype™ to hthoni
Re: Clean boats x dirty boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
I doubt the owner of this boat cares much about the bottom growth. He doesn't seem to care much for the topsides.

That's sad. This is a gorgeous model, Fast 395, designed by German Frers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9538.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	156340
hthoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 19:01   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Any attempt to put a limit on the amount of acceptable bottom growth on boats in a club marina is bound to failure. Is someone going to be assigned to walk the docks once a week and measure each boat's growth? Is the Board of Directors going to establish and enforce a fine for boats with more than "X inches" of growth? Will they notify the owners before levying the fines or will they just let them accumulate by the day?

Will the Board of Directors expel members who don't comply with the new "bottom growth" rules? If the club members paid an initiation fee to join the club, will they refund that fee?

If a member refuses to comply with the new rules on bottom growth and refuses to pay the fine, will the Board of Directors cut the boat loose and tow it out of the marina? Is the Board of Directors ready and willing to defend a lawsuit from members who dislike this new rule?

For the most part in life, we don't get to decide what other people do or how they live their lives. An HOA or condo association is a bit of an exception but the difference is, the covenants are established before the homes or condos are sold and anyone buying into the neighborhood knows the rules in advance.

As I posted earlier, the OP has two choices: Put up with neighboring boats with bottom growth or move to another club or marina.

Actually we found an interesting solution. We are discussing about increasing the slip monthly fee, which will include a monthly scrub. You either pay it, or scrub it on your own.

If you don't scrub it, your monthly fee will come with the extra. That's perfect!!

If you don't pay it, you get kicked out of the club. Just like it happens today.

Isn't it beautiful?
Old 18-09-2017, 19:07   #63

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Great! So you just increased the fees for everyone at your club because you know nothing about barnacles. Sounds like the rest of your Board is ignorant too. Thanks for making boating more expensive. We needed that.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 19:07   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltasailor View Post
To me diving to clean a hull is NOT a practical solution. How much fouling is there during a six month spell in the water with a soft anti fouling paint. Not a lot in my experience.
Pull the boat every winter and splash a little paint each spring. Problem resolved!

Maybe in your area. Here with warm waters, they grow like monters!
Specially if the water is heavy on organic matter.

If we dont scrubb it for 60 days, it will get so fouled, we simply can't sail.
Old 18-09-2017, 19:14   #65

Clean boats x dirty boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Hey, what's this? A post with some applicable biology relating to the issue.

How quaint! Perhaps the OP should consider these factors.

Jim

Yes... the fact it can stay as plankton for longer, doesnt help me. But my research brought a different time for the plankton stage, just 2 weeks.

"Life cycle
Barnacles have two larval stages.

The first larval stage is called the nauplius. Cirripede nauplii have a characteristic dorsal spine and frontal horns (Russell-Hunter 1969). The nauplius spends its time as part of the plankton, floating wherever the wind, waves, currents, and tides may take it, while eating and molting. This lasts for about two weeks until the second stage is reached."
Old 18-09-2017, 19:20   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Great! So you just increased the fees for everyone at your club because you know nothing about barnacles. Sounds like the rest of your Board is ignorant too. Thanks for making boating more expensive. We needed that.

No! Not everyone, just for those who leave the boats in disgrace. If you already take care of your boat, you wouldnt be charged on the scrub fee.

At my club we have two types of members, military and non-military members, its a navy premise.

Do you know how much those military members pay for littering the piers with those boats??? Less than US$ 60 per month.

Thats why some of them leave their garbage floating there.

Its not just the barnacles, there heve been fires, loosen boats crashing on others on bad weather....

Let someone who cares about boating occupy the slip or buy the abandoned boat.
Old 18-09-2017, 19:22   #67

This thread came to an interesting discussion, it's not about biology anymore. Its a social discussion about individual rights agaisnt the common interest.
Old 18-09-2017, 19:27   #68

Ahhh, great! My tax dollars are supporting your ability to have a boat at a slip fee the rest of us will never see. If I paid $60 month for a slip I wouldnt be complaining about barnacles.

Is the marina going to scrape the pilings, docks and rocks as part of your scientific proposal? That may make your slip fee go up even more.

Old 18-09-2017, 19:32   #69

Quote:
Ahhh, great! My tax dollars are supporting your ability to have a boat at a slip fee the rest of us will never see. If I paid $60 month for a slip I wouldnt be complaining about barnacles.

Is the marina going to scrape the pilings, docks and rocks as part of your scientific proposal? That may make your slip fee go up even more.

First, this club is far away from you. You dont need to worry about your tax dollars.

I dont pay 60,00. Just the military members have this benefit. And thats why they dont bother about the monthly expense forever, never visiting their boats (some of them).

If we scrubb the hulls it would be good enough, we have a sand bottom. Just the hulls would make a big difference.
Old 18-09-2017, 19:34   #70

Quote:

How do you like this image?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9523.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	156345
Old 18-09-2017, 19:40   #71

You have a simple solution. Eliminate the reduced fees for military members. Problem solved and your "Club" can be filled with proper yachties.

I have no problem with that photo. Boats the world over come in many forms. I met some fisherman in Kapingamarangi who would consider that a castle. You may want to get out more.

Old 18-09-2017, 19:51   #72

Quote:
You have a simple solution. Eliminate the reduced fees for military members. Problem solved and your "Club" can be filled with proper yachties.

I have no problem with that photo. Boats the world over come in many forms. I meant some fisherman in Kapingamarangi who would consider that a castle. You may want to get out more.

First suggestion, impossible! And i think i need no reasoning why.
Agree?

Its not the form... it's just about to sink!
I'm sure Kapingaramangi fishermen would take good care and make this boat a castle.

A club filled up with floating trashes like that is an empty club, that cant afford good services, has no boating community, no families, no races, no kids sailing optimists... nothing good comes out of those reckless owners. They never go there!

We should promote, live your boat, or sell it! Let somebody else be at your slip.
Old 18-09-2017, 19:54   #73

And make sure you puff your chest out wearing you polo shirt when that soldier who just served in Afghanistan protecting your right to complain about barnacle mating habits has to move his boat from your Club. I hope you and the whole Board are forced to stand on the dock while they untie their lines. Shame on you.

Old 18-09-2017, 20:00   #74

Quote:
And make sure you puff your chest out wearing you polo shirt when that soldier who just served in Afghanistan protecting your right to complain about barnacle mating habits has to move his boat from your Club. I hope you and the whole Board are forced to stand on the dock while they untie their lines. Shame on you.

Don't mess up the discussion. I'm not American, our military have never been in Afghanistan, I'm not kicking militaries out of the club, you're the one who suggested to screw them with higher fees and this post is not about politics.

I just love boats and wish them the best, mine and my neighbors'.

And I believe reckless owners (military or not) should have their boats cleaned by the club.
Old 18-09-2017, 20:01   #75
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Is Brazil fighting in Afghanistan?
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat