Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2017, 20:03   #76

Boat: Delta 36
Send a message via Skype™ to hthoni
Re: Clean boats x dirty boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Is Brazil fighting in Afghanistan?

Of course not! We are fighting unemployment..
Divers included!!!!
hthoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 20:07   #77

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

If you love the boats and your neighbors what prevents you from jumping in the water with a scraper? Increasing the fees is not a sign of love.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 20:31   #78

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

I was mistaken about this being a US marina issue. All other points stand.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 00:00   #79
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Southern Cross 31

Instead of worrying about it, and trying to find ways of getting someone to do something to there boat that you want them to do, but they may not be able to afford to do it, why don't you offer to pay to have his boat slipped cleaned and anti fouled. He may be someone that can no longer afford to do it, and I am sure he would appreciate the gesture, and you would get the enjoyment of seeing a clean boat next to yours. You would also feel good that you had helped someone out.
atlantical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 00:37   #80

Boat: no boat any more

I propose to award the OP the Austrian citizenship! His frame of mind would fit right in here with the prevailing local mentality that it is much less interesting to live ones own life according to one's own tastes & have fun than to prevent others form doing this! The real purpose of life & the fun in it is coming from forcing others to live by one's own rules.
Welcome to our alpine republic of wingers, whiners, complainers & spoil-sports!
Old 19-09-2017, 02:01   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
If you love the boats and your neighbors what prevents you from jumping in the water with a scraper? Increasing the fees is not a sign of love.

There must be around 20 boats like that, it would be my main occupation. I would to quit my job.

And the divers would hate me, because thats their living, the market would be destroyed wirh service price going down.

Old 19-09-2017, 02:04   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantical View Post
Instead of worrying about it, and trying to find ways of getting someone to do something to there boat that you want them to do, but they may not be able to afford to do it, why don't you offer to pay to have his boat slipped cleaned and anti fouled. He may be someone that can no longer afford to do it, and I am sure he would appreciate the gesture, and you would get the enjoyment of seeing a clean boat next to yours. You would also feel good that you had helped someone out.

Ohhhhh im sure they can afford 80 dollars per month, thats what a scrub service costs down here.

Lots of people try to buy those boats, but they never accept offers. And the never vist their boats... why? Lets be pratical! Either you use it, or let someone use. The boat shouldnt be condemned to float like trash forever.
Old 19-09-2017, 02:28   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
I propose to award the OP the Austrian citizenship! His frame of mind would fit right in here with the prevailing local mentality that it is much less interesting to live ones own life according to one's own tastes & have fun than to prevent others form doing this! The real purpose of life & the fun in it is coming from forcing others to live by one's own rules.
Welcome to our alpine republic of wingers, whiners, complainers & spoil-sports!
you know what, I'm honored!

land of Gustav Klimt, Oskar Kokoschka, Adolf Loos, Richard Neutra, Otto Wagner, Herbert Von Karajan, Gustav Mahler, Mozart, Schoemberg, Schubert, Strauss, Rommi Schneider, Billy Wilder, Gerhard Berger, Niki Lauda, Arnold Schwarzenegger, and so many others...

yes, you guys had the little mad man, but you did have Oskar Schindler to compensate a bit.

jokes apart... Living in a community requires some rules.
try to do whatever you want in your apartment. you'll have problems with your neighbors.

let's not mix the fredoom of living on a boat, with the time you spent tied to a line at the pier.

And please, let's not forget Sigmund Freud, whose book "Civilization and its Discontents" deals so much about this thread. It describes the the conflict between humans primary instincts and civilizations contrary demand for conformity, and the balance between all that soup.
Old 19-09-2017, 02:54   #84

Boat: no boat any more

...yeah Klimt & Mozart, but what about the other cantankerous 8 millions...
in principle you are right, complaining about the fouling on the neighbour's boat seem to (not only) me to go too far though. (& I guess the surface-area of the fouled boats is a fraction only of the thickly overgrown surface of the marina's infrastructure, btw)
Old 19-09-2017, 03:12   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
...yeah Klimt & Mozart, but what about the other cantankerous 8 millions...

in principle you are right, complaining about the fouling on the neighbour's boat seem to (not only) me to go too far though. (& I guess the surface-area of the fouled boats is a fraction only of the thickly overgrown surface of the marina's infrastructure, btw)

I'll do some research... I'll try to dive and take pictures. It doesn't seem so. For some reason we don't have barnacles on the pier wood structure itself, the pillings are concrete surrounded by a PVC pipe, barnacles don't like it much either... I'll keep you informed.

Old 19-09-2017, 04:35   #86

Boat: '86 Catalina 25, swing keel

Spend more time sailing and let your paint do its job.
Captain Bucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 05:58   #87

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

It seems to me that all pollution concerns relating to pleasure boats are small potato's when viewed in the larger context of environmental degradation. Looking just at biocides and metals, the run off from a boat yard has to be worse than whatever can leach off of a boat in a slip. We could force all boats to be stored on the hard and the effect on local water quality would be undetectable. This is just politics. One storm drain outflow is worse than an entire marina of idle boats.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 06:33   #88

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by hthoni View Post
Actually we found an interesting solution. We are discussing about increasing the slip monthly fee, which will include a monthly scrub. You either pay it, or scrub it on your own.

If you don't scrub it, your monthly fee will come with the extra. That's perfect!!

If you don't pay it, you get kicked out of the club. Just like it happens today.

Isn't it beautiful?
OK, it's been a long time getting the whole story out there.

You are not just a member of the club, you are a member of the Board of Directors, probably the President and you have an agenda, having boat bottoms maintained on all the boats. Rather than joining a club that meets your standards, you have gotten yourself into a position where you can impose your standards on the club you are already in. HOAs are often like that, someone will run for office because they want the playground moved away from their street or think the cars should all be parked facing the same way.

You may get away with this, you may face serious resistance and legal challenges or you may be voted out of office at the next election and your policy will be rescinded.

Your ability to actually implement this policy should be somewhere in the By-Laws or other founding documents of the club. This is where a possible legal challenge would come from.

On the one hand, I agree with you that it's best to have nice looking, well maintained boats in the marina (club). On the other hand, I don't think it's fair to change the rules every time something like this comes up. Remember, at some point, someone may change the rules in a way that affects you negatively.

One more thing: You will require that each boat be "scrubbed" once a month. What qualifies as being "scrubbed"? Does the owner have to furnish a receipt from a club approved diver or can he/she use anyone or do it themselves? And what if the owner says he scrubbed it but you think it doesn't meet your standards? Who mediates this dispute?
Old 19-09-2017, 10:51   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
OK, it's been a long time getting the whole story out there.

You are not just a member of the club, you are a member of the Board of Directors, probably the President and you have an agenda, having boat bottoms maintained on all the boats. Rather than joining a club that meets your standards, you have gotten yourself into a position where you can impose your standards on the club you are already in. HOAs are often like that, someone will run for office because they want the playground moved away from their street or think the cars should all be parked facing the same way.

You may get away with this, you may face serious resistance and legal challenges or you may be voted out of office at the next election and your policy will be rescinded.

Your ability to actually implement this policy should be somewhere in the By-Laws or other founding documents of the club. This is where a possible legal challenge would come from.

On the one hand, I agree with you that it's best to have nice looking, well maintained boats in the marina (club). On the other hand, I don't think it's fair to change the rules every time something like this comes up. Remember, at some point, someone may change the rules in a way that affects you negatively.

One more thing: You will require that each boat be "scrubbed" once a month. What qualifies as being "scrubbed"? Does the owner have to furnish a receipt from a club approved diver or can he/she use anyone or do it themselves? And what if the owner says he scrubbed it but you think it doesn't meet your standards? Who mediates this dispute?

I'm just a club member.
Let's see how it goes... I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 19-09-2017, 14:06   #90

Boat: Camano Troll

Here are some suggestions for more rules to make this a better boat club:

Topsides; Everything from the waterline up must be washed monthly and waxed yearly. No fuel or water jugs ae permitted on deck.

Docking; All boats must be docked bow in (or out, your choice).

Fenders; All fenders must match in color and shape.

Dock boxes; All dock boxes must be the same size, color and shape and must be placed as directed by the club president.

Dress code; Consider a dress code for anyone on the premises.

You can make this club a real showplace with these rules.

Tags
boat