Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2020, 11:12   #46

Boat: Nordic Tug 37
Re: Comparing design of Delta and Sarca Excel anchors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
I spent some money on Por15 paint and did a careful application in a borrowed shed. It was a waste of time if you anchor a lot, like we do.
It's far better to get the Spade regalvanized. The galvanizing shop melted the lead out and replaced for us. We did have a friend who had their Spade done at at shady regalvanizing. The shop removed the 'caked in mud' in the anchor with a torch. When they got it back they had really hard time getting it to set. They finally realized what had happened and melted a bunch of fishing weights back in - all was good.

Even new galvanizing will not last that long on the tip, as it is pretty sharp and gets a lot of wear. Not a problem.

Below is a picture of the Por15 painted anchor.
Thanks Paul,

I'm not reading your post with any enthusiasm (as I just spent a chunk of dough on 2 cans of POR-15 paint...) but I do appreciate the constructive feedback.

-evan
Old 24-02-2020, 05:11   #47

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV__Grace View Post
Ilenart, measurements of the various Excel sizes are at the bottom of the page here-
SARCA Excel Anchor - Anchor Right Australia

I used these measurements when evaluating the Exel for my bowsprit.
thanks SV I did see those measurements but unfortunately it does not include the measurement I need “height of the shank where it sits on the roller”. in other words, what is the greatest width of the shank measured from top to bottom. On my delta anchor this measurement is 110mm, which leaves 200m from the top of the shank to the pulpit. This photo highlights the issue.

Ilenart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	89AA2359-E652-4CC3-B9A3-ED5E9B436124.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	438.9 KB
ID:	209355  
Old 24-02-2020, 07:00   #48

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilenart View Post
thanks SV I did see those measurements but unfortunately it does not include the measurement I need “height of the shank where it sits on the roller”. in other words, what is the greatest width of the shank measured from top to bottom. On my delta anchor this measurement is 110mm, which leaves 200m from the top of the shank to the pulpit. This photo highlights the issue. Ilenart
Ah, I see why that would be important to you. For my #8 that measurement is 125 mm, so the #6 will be smaller.

If anchorrite isn't getting back to you, consider contacting the folks at groundtackle- here's a copy/paste from their website-

Please email us at sales@groundtackle.com

Nick at 250-516-9589
Chris at 250-516-7888
John at 604 724-1442
One of us will get back to you promptly.

It's not a big company and those numbers are probably cell phones. When I called with my question Nick picked right up and spent half an hour on the phone with me.

Let us know what happens!
Old 24-02-2020, 08:11   #49
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

ilenert, that’s a nice boat. Exactly what is she and date of birth? I might have a pic with her sister sporting an Excel.
C
Old 24-02-2020, 08:58   #50

Boat: Grand Banks 32

Another vote for Sarca Excel #5. Bought one for our GB 32 before trucking the boat from San Francisco to Anacortes for 2 months in 2018. Use it occasionally in SF Bay and used it very frequently in the San Juans and Gulf Islands. Sets the first time, every time!. Dragged once off Russell Island (off Saltspring Is) for about 50 ft, the reset itself. I later learned I had tried to anchor on a thin layer of sand over solid rock!. Can't blame the anchor for that. Held all night in a weird anchorage with the swells crosswise to the wind. A very rolly night and didn't get much sleep, but the anchor never budged. I always set an anchor watch app anyhow, but I definitely sleep better with this anchor than with any other I have ever had. And it fits fine in the GB stock anchor roller. Previous anchor was a Lewmar Delta, which I have less experience with. It never dragged the few times I used it, but sometimes had to reset it 2 or 3 times.
Oldersalt
"Everything on your boat is broken. you just don't know it yet."
Old 24-02-2020, 09:25   #51
Marine Service Provider

OS44, I remember chatting with you and your mighty GB. Russel is terrible to get hooked in. Beautiful place and worthy. They should put in cans and be done with it.
I have a buddy with high ground on Saltspring. He has telescope and we watch the hilarity from the comfort of a chesterfield with our brandies in hand.
Happy to hear you made it north.
Cheers, Chris
Old 24-02-2020, 14:31   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundtackle View Post
ilenert, that’s a nice boat. Exactly what is she and date of birth? I might have a pic with her sister sporting an Excel.
C
Hallberg-Rassy 40 built in 2004
Old 24-02-2020, 14:53   #53

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilenart View Post
thanks SV I did see those measurements but unfortunately it does not include the measurement I need “height of the shank where it sits on the roller”. in other words, what is the greatest width of the shank measured from top to bottom. On my delta anchor this measurement is 110mm, which leaves 200m from the top of the shank to the pulpit. This photo highlights the issue.

Ilenart
Hi Ilenart, you needed that size for an Excel#6? My neighbour has an Excel on his boat, and that size I think, can check on Thursday.

And in line with the original post......
My boat had a Delta for many years with previous owner(?s) as its main anchor. Got very rusty, was sandblasted, epoxy painted properly I believe. Despite the aesthetic update, it was relegated to a second anchor position, when a new Rocna arrived and accepted the new reign. According to the tales, that was much better.
When I purchased the boat the Delta was very rusty again, by just being on the bow for 2 years, and I gave it away and it now it is used on a Durbeck. I replaced that Delta with an Excel, and after one failing (dragging in very difficult circumstances) of the Rocna, promoted the Excel to the prime spot. I now have the best of both worlds: concave and convex, and use the Excel 99% of the time, well let's make that 100%.
Old 25-02-2020, 08:47   #54
Marine Service Provider

Hank, thanks very much for that offer to help.

ilenart, that is a nice boat and would take it anywhere. I did a delivery San Fransico - Seattle late in the fall on a 46'. Just myself and dear old dad for crew. 40knt + on the nose off Oregon coast for a few days. Engine just ticking over with little sail doing 5 ish to keep her steerable and not airborne. It was so tight down below, no creaking or groaning. Worked on many and really appreciate the entire build quality.
You could go for the #5 Excel. I blast around in the PNW on an old converted 12t 2 tonner with the #5. Shes, deep, fat, huge fractional rig and windage junk on the trunk. The #5 is too big 90% of the time but feel its correct for that other 10%. 275' g43 5'16". A bigger anchor on her would definitely affect her performance. Not so much as speed but more keeping that bow lifting as she's wet enough already.
I believe bigger is not better, better is better.
Saying that... if you can handle that little extra weight then why not.
The pics ive seen online show the toes pretty well touching the hull chafe guard when anchor nests. In my opinion it's not a bad thing even if the anchor cocks a little to port when windlass is snugged. Locked in hard and that's the only way they should stow, no movement. As long as it launches without a sledgehammer.
To bad HR didn't push that roller just a touch farther fwd. Swans, Najads and others are like that too.
Even a template won't confirm in your situation, you need the real thing. I know where most of our anchors live and sometimes reach out to them and ask if they would like to lend one for an afternoon. Usually more than happy to and gets the more serious cruisers or sistership owners together.
Chris
Old 25-02-2020, 10:51   #55

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Quote:
I’ll attempt to explain some of the subtle differences and answer SV_Grace’s questions, unfortunately not until I get behind a laptop. Fat fingers, poor eyesight and a mobile should not be used in unison.
Steve was prompted to test the Delta and it’s #70 of the series. He also dropped an Aluminum Excel during that test for comparison. He also repeated another Excel vid and believe it’s the latest.
Thanks again Steve from all of us that want to know what’s going on down there.
Chris
Hey Chris, are your fat fingers behind your laptop yet? I'd love your feedback about the differences between the Delta and Excel and the function of the design features of the Excel.
Old 25-02-2020, 11:12   #56
Marine Service Provider

Yes I know... I was offering my .02 with a Lofrans instead.
I'm also thinking about what I'm going to say. It doesn't really matter, you kids don't read my ramblings anyway. Do you?

I think I've got a signature to use if i can figure out how to turn it on. What do you think?

"I like the cut of your gibberish" unknown musician CBC radio
Old 25-02-2020, 14:28   #57

Quote:
Hank, thanks very much for that offer to help.

ilenart, that is a nice boat and would take it anywhere. I did a delivery San Fransico - Seattle late in the fall on a 46'. Just myself and dear old dad for crew. 40knt + on the nose off Oregon coast for a few days. Engine just ticking over with little sail doing 5 ish to keep her steerable and not airborne. It was so tight down below, no creaking or groaning. Worked on many and really appreciate the entire build quality.
You could go for the #5 Excel. I blast around in the PNW on an old converted 12t 2 tonner with the #5. Shes, deep, fat, huge fractional rig and windage junk on the trunk. The #5 is too big 90% of the time but feel its correct for that other 10%. 275' g43 5'16". A bigger anchor on her would definitely affect her performance. Not so much as speed but more keeping that bow lifting as she's wet enough already.
I believe bigger is not better, better is better.
Saying that... if you can handle that little extra weight then why not.
The pics ive seen online show the toes pretty well touching the hull chafe guard when anchor nests. In my opinion it's not a bad thing even if the anchor cocks a little to port when windlass is snugged. Locked in hard and that's the only way they should stow, no movement. As long as it launches without a sledgehammer.
To bad HR didn't push that roller just a touch farther fwd. Swans, Najads and others are like that too.
Even a template won't confirm in your situation, you need the real thing. I know where most of our anchors live and sometimes reach out to them and ask if they would like to lend one for an afternoon. Usually more than happy to and gets the more serious cruisers or sistership owners together.
Chris
thanks Chris, appreciate the advice.

Ilenart
Old 26-02-2020, 01:30   #58
Marine Service Provider

Ok Grace, thanks very much for this opportunity. I'm ready to write a novel.. Both she and the aaarrrby the pirate dog are asleep.
I work in this industry with miles under me. I don't or am very careful to endorse anyone or any product as it bites hard.
I need to be smarter than all of you so keep current on all things. I watched the the anchor wars online. We have a boat in mex that's dragged to the beach and I know what I'm doing. Professional skipper blah blah, I'm also a metal fabricator.
When my partner Nick showed me his Excel that he had sent from Aus at great expense i was was impressed. It was different and we played with it. It does work.
So how is it different from a delta without sounding like you are at a boat show;
* Firstly - the the Excel doesn't have that multiple fluke bend shape that looks like, well like a plow. Delta couldn't have designed a better plow.
Back or crown end of the Excel is almost square, it drives the toe down when pressure is applied. Does not shed or throw like a plow, it goes underground. Talk with any farmer about plow angles and they will tell you a thing or two about plows that dive or don't. They stop horses or won't trench.
* The holes or apporatures serve a purpose. When an anchor dives there is moisture on the pressure side and those vents let wet pass thru. On the the way back up during retrieval its like getting your boot out of the mud, breaks the suction.
* The concave or as you say 70/30 is important. Rex tinkered for years with that, too much or little affects. That convex shape is what anchors drill ships and platforms with the like of Vryhof anchor systems use. These guys do math.
* Rex did the tests. Developed his own TATS equipment. I'm impressed.
* Anchor Right Australia has SHHP certification, I need that to sell to the feds and you folks too.
I'm not going to sell anything that doesn't qualify, check your marks on
equipment. If not stamped It's not certified and could be half the holding power of an Excel.
* The Excel has a ss toe that obviously doesn't rust and be sharped.
* Excel is simply strong by design. The high test shank or is slotted into the fluke so we don't get a weld deficiency. Kinda like a keel stepped mast.

There is a bunch of other things that perhaps are advanced;
The cutting edges are are also worthy of conversation. When compressed soil or seabed wraps around an edge that's square it causes turbulence or a cavity.
Soil shear is the reason why anchors fail. They need to get in quick and deep. Roll bars and swivels stop that. When they they shift it gets worse.
I can go on if ya like....
Chris
Old 26-02-2020, 01:43   #59

Location: Live aboard in Simonstown (Cape Town) - now Grenada having crossed the Atlantic.
Boat: 1986 Bruce Roberts 45 raised saloon

Well I'm sold!

I just purchased an Excel #7 as primary anchor for my 17,000kg Roberts45 after speaking to Rex at Anchorright directly, he was very responsive and helpful.

Now all I have to do is pay for freight and duties from Aus to RSA, OUCH!
Old 26-02-2020, 01:45   #60

Location: Live aboard in Simonstown (Cape Town) - now Grenada having crossed the Atlantic.
Boat: 1986 Bruce Roberts 45 raised saloon

...no distributer in RSA - you guys are mostly in a better position having local supplier.
Closed Thread

Tags
anchor, arc, delta