Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2020, 01:50   #61
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'
Re: Comparing design of Delta and Sarca Excel anchors

M, shipping is problem that has been going on for a long time. Thieves.
Chris
Old 26-02-2020, 02:09   #62
Marine Service Provider

Hope I didn't insult too much. If one of you out there works in that industry I'd love to talk. For all of us.
Chris
Old 26-02-2020, 02:18   #63

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcouz View Post
...no distributer in RSA - you guys are mostly in a better position having local supplier.
A business opportunity perhaps?

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Old 26-02-2020, 02:30   #64
Marine Service Provider

Simi, fill your tanks and come on up.
C
Old 26-02-2020, 09:34   #65

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundtackle View Post
So how is it different from a delta without sounding like you are at a boat show;
* Firstly - the the Excel doesn't have that multiple fluke bend shape that looks like, well like a plow. Delta couldn't have designed a better plow.
Back or crown end of the Excel is almost square, it drives the toe down when pressure is applied. Does not shed or throw like a plow, it goes underground. Talk with any farmer about plow angles and they will tell you a thing or two about plows that dive or don't. They stop horses or won't trench.
* The holes or apporatures serve a purpose. When an anchor dives there is moisture on the pressure side and those vents let wet pass thru. On the the way back up during retrieval its like getting your boot out of the mud, breaks the suction.
* The concave or as you say 70/30 is important. Rex tinkered for years with that, too much or little affects. That convex shape is what anchors drill ships and platforms with the like of Vryhof anchor systems use. These guys do math.
* Rex did the tests. Developed his own TATS equipment. I'm impressed.
* Anchor Right Australia has SHHP certification, I need that to sell to the feds and you folks too.
I'm not going to sell anything that doesn't qualify, check your marks on
equipment. If not stamped It's not certified and could be half the holding power of an Excel.
* The Excel has a ss toe that obviously doesn't rust and be sharped.
* Excel is simply strong by design. The high test shank or is slotted into the fluke so we don't get a weld deficiency. Kinda like a keel stepped mast.

There is a bunch of other things that perhaps are advanced;
The cutting edges are are also worthy of conversation. When compressed soil or seabed wraps around an edge that's square it causes turbulence or a cavity.
Soil shear is the reason why anchors fail. They need to get in quick and deep. Roll bars and swivels stop that. When they they shift it gets worse.
I can go on if ya like....
Chris
Wow, fascinating and impressive. The function of the holes makes a lot of sense, I wonder why other anchor manufacturers haven't incorporated such a small detail that can make a big difference.

And YES, if you got more Chris, please do bring it on. This is great stuff and I appreciate you sharing your expertise.
Old 26-02-2020, 10:01   #66
Marine Service Provider

G, ok then. Lets talk holes. This one of my favorites from Steve.

Chris
Old 26-02-2020, 12:53   #67

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundtackle View Post
G, ok then. Lets talk holes. This one of my favorites from Steve. Chris
Thanks Chris, this video was hilarious and enlightening. I loved Steve's multiple failures when experimenting with his Manson and self effacing comments.

This video made the effect of the holes crystal clear!
Old 26-02-2020, 22:37   #68
Marine Service Provider

SVG, if you like that now watch this.. it can get confusing.

Chris
Old 28-02-2020, 06:58   #69

Boat: PDQ, Capella 36 catamaran

Videos were nice and thanks but too bad you have such a poor website Ground Tackle.
Old 28-02-2020, 08:40   #70

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

I concur with RaymondRs assessment of the Delta in mud and mud over hard in that the holding is marginal. The Delta works great in gravel and cobble, maybe the best, but for soft bottoms, many others are superior. For several years, I’ve been using a Bruce. It had some difficulty setting in hard packed sand and other hard bottoms so an angle grinder was used to sharpen the leading edges, not razor sharp but more like a butter knife. Now it penetrates and sets quickly and has great holding power. A couple years ago a storm came up while anchored at a depth of about ten feet. In the morning I put on the mask and snorkel for an anchor check and discovered the top of the anchor about a foot under the coarse sand and gravel bottom. The easy sharpening modification made a significant improvement in the ability of the Bruce to set and hold. I’m satisfied with it and have no plans to change to one of the more commonly advertised designs.
Old 28-02-2020, 09:01   #71
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanacus View Post
Videos were nice and thanks but too bad you have such a poor website Ground Tackle.
Ouch. Would you like to give us a hand with that? It’s either you or my twin granddaughters, they are 3yrs and can dial us up and live chat.
Is there a particular problem that you see. Folks do use it
Chris.
Old 28-02-2020, 09:17   #72

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Mathis View Post
I concur with RaymondRs assessment of the Delta in mud and mud over hard in that the holding is marginal. The Delta works great in gravel and cobble, maybe the best, but for soft bottoms, many others are superior. For several years, I’ve been using a Bruce. It had some difficulty setting in hard packed sand and other hard bottoms so an angle grinder was used to sharpen the leading edges, not razor sharp but more like a butter knife. Now it penetrates and sets quickly and has great holding power. A couple years ago a storm came up while anchored at a depth of about ten feet. In the morning I put on the mask and snorkel for an anchor check and discovered the top of the anchor about a foot under the coarse sand and gravel bottom. The easy sharpening modification made a significant improvement in the ability of the Bruce to set and hold. I’m satisfied with it and have no plans to change to one of the more commonly advertised designs.
Sharpening the leading edges will significantly improve the performance of any anchor design. The only drawback is that there is an increased risk of bending the thinner edges if the anchor contacts debris such as rock. Nevertheless, I think a higher performing anchor is often worth the drawback.

In my opinion sharper leading edges are the major design advantage of Excel over the Delta.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, the problems with the Delta such as the limited fluke surface area and the convex shape (obviously the rear of the fluke is upswept and therefore concave) limits the fundamental grip that is available.

Sharpening the leading edges of the Delta will allow this design to penetrate weed and harder substrates better than an unsharpened anchor, but these changes cannot compensate for the fundamental design. For example, in softer substrates the convex fluke shape and limited surface area compared to modern designs such as the concave roll bar anchors limit the available grip.
Old 28-02-2020, 09:23   #73

Boat: PDQ, Capella 36 catamaran

click your site then "online shopping" ... then a wait, then "to view this content click reload" back to online shopping in a big circle. Just letting you know as a friendly gesture a better site might generate more sales? No big deal.
Old 28-02-2020, 09:34   #74

IMO there isn't a significant difference between the best plow and spade type anchors. Check the Sail mag anchor test report. They are the best all round anchors for most bottom conditions including weed and some loose rock. Hard clay is tough for any anchor. Flat rock is impossible!
I cruise in the Pacific NW and wouldn't trade my Rocna 15 for either the Excel or Delta.
I also have an old Northill that is great in rock and weed, however it has the fatal flaw of a fluke sticking up to foul the anchor line. Perfect as a stern anchor to hold position.
My original anchor is a Danforth (aka Fortress), great in sand and mud but not much else.
The Claw has a fatal flaw of picking up boulders and dragging them around the bay!
The older hinged plow types don't seem to set easily in my experience.
Old 28-02-2020, 09:49   #75
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanacus View Post
click your site then "online shopping" ... then a wait, then "to view this content click reload" back to online shopping in a big circle. Just letting you know as a friendly gesture a better site might generate more sales? No big deal.
Thanks Sparty, that exact issue happened to me yesterday and sent a tickler. Integration of UPS/Ecwid e-commerce and the site generator. Way beyond my grade 10 education.
I’ll get into it, how hard can it be?

You can modify a delta to hold double the existing design. Sharpening a claw does help.

N77, you would be surprised at the actual surface area of the Excel fluke. If you would measure yours against others it will be clear. It’s on my to do list as I think one of you on here asked me that exact question.
Chris
Closed Thread

Tags
anchor, arc, delta