Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2016, 08:35   #1

Completing a Windlass Installation

Trying to figure a good way- best way to complete a chain locker -anchor chain-windlass installation started by the former owner. They installed the windlass as a surface mount aft of the chain locker. The chain locker is of medium size and depth, sloping toward the bow, but has an unreinforced cover. The bow roller is of course forward of the chain locker and windlass. The chain snorkel on the windlass does not have a cap/cover and the drop into the chain locker has not been drilled out yet. Should I reinforce the locker cover with stainless or UMHW, drop anchor into forward portion of locker instead of where windlass is mounted? Any suggestions would be appreciated. This is on a Hunter Legend 37 1988. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4608.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	411.7 KB
ID:	125999   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4614.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	422.9 KB
ID:	126000  

CleanLivingTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 00:37   #2

Boat: no boat any more
Re: Completing a Windlass Installation

as far as I can see this will not work satifactorily (quite probably not at all): you will need a minimum of 25cm (10") of chain hanging free under the windlass - the anchorlocker looks very shallow & it's rear wall seems to slope, so the chain will pile up quickly & jam. It might work with less chain & stainless chain, but the locker might be unsuitable even for that.
windlass looks like a Lofrans so a chainpipecover can surely be purchased (this will not have any influence of the workings though, only less water will enter the chainlocker)
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 09:23   #3

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

That just won't work.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 14:10   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

That has got to be one of the dumbest anchor road lockers in extant. All the weight super far forward, high in the hull and no depth so the chain will not self stow. A great design for the strong back crowd as you are committed to hand hauling the anchor rode. Why do the boat manufacturers saddle us with such idiocy??

If you want to reinforce cover, do it with epoxy stringers, curved wood, foam, or 1/2 paper tubes as a form to lay up the epoxy and glass. Drilling a hole for the chain will result in the chain piling up and jamming in the windlass if you don't constantly clear the chain in the locker. Basically, you are screwed without a total rebuild of chain locker.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 14:27   #5

I have to agree, you need depth as chain has a tendency to stack up very well and then jam. Also, If I'm seeing it properly the hawse cover will be rubbing on the chain as it leads to the roller?? Is there room under that chain locker for chain? maybe you could make a pipe to let it go down there and then keep a backup nylon rode in the higher locker?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 14:56   #6
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

What I find strange is there seems to be an endless line furler mounted in the chain locker. I could see the chain shifting in the locker and jamming either the furler or catching on the furling line, a real safety hazard?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 00:38   #7

Boat: no boat any more

don't solely blame the yards! customers want a big roomy forecabin, go to marinas for the nights & anchoring is done with "mixed tackle": 50' of 5/16" chain plus 5/8" rope - & this will fit nicely into such an "anchorlocker"
only chance imho is stainless chain, & not too much of it...
(or the chainsaw...)
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 04:31   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, CleanLiving.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
installation, wind, windlass