Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2024, 13:53   #16

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30
Re: Cordless Pressure Washer for Anchor Wash?

I have seen many pressure washer pumps frozen from corrosion after sitting. I use this after every use of my pressure washer at home.

It might be just kerosene with a die in it, but it works.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Powercar...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2024, 14:56   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Ryobi makes two 18 volt pressure washers. The first one they came out with was rated at 320 psi. I got excited and bought one, big mistake. If you go for a wireless washer get the 600 psi one.

I like the idea of taking water from the toilet supply pump. It won’t have the pressure but it’ll move a much bigger volume of water.
Old 10-08-2024, 15:01   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Gilham View Post
You neeeeed a self-filling bucket! Makes it so easy to pull water up to deck...

Davis Instruments used to sell these, but not anymore... make your own! Cut bottom out of any plastic bucket, but leave a 1 inch shelf all the way around. Find 1/8 inch flat-sheet rubber, cut larger than the hole, and install to shelf with two pop-rivets about two inches apart, to make a hinged edge. Throw bucket into water, flap will open and bucket sinks, then when you pull bucket up with rope attached to bail handle, flap closes and bucket comes up full.

The sailor who was washed down his anchor chain more than 100 times with a bucket knows how to throw the bucket so that it sinks.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2024, 15:03   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Ryobi makes two 18 volt pressure washers. The first one they came out with was rated at 320 psi. I got excited and bought one, big mistake. If you go for a wireless washer get the 600 psi one.

I like the idea of taking water from the toilet supply pump. It won’t have the pressure but it’ll move a much bigger volume of water.

We don't care that much about pressure for this use case, I think. I well pressurized garden hose would be fine for this.

Our previous boat had a built-in anchor wash, and I don't think the pressure was more than 4 bar. Bit more than a fresh water pump.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2024, 17:25   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
We don't care that much about pressure for this use case, I think. I well pressurized garden hose would be fine for this.

Our previous boat had a built-in anchor wash, and I don't think the pressure was more than 4 bar. Bit more than a fresh water pump.
I think you’re right, you want more volume of water and don’t need high pressure. The toilet supply pump should work well for your application.
Old 16-08-2024, 07:27   #21

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

As seen in a recent Practical Sailor post, I added stick on wheel weights to one side of the lip of my anchor bucket this year. It was easy and made the "fill the bucket toss" more consistently successful. I like the idea and ease of adding the battery operated washer, not sure if I want to deal with one more thing on the boat, but maybe. If I am just moving to another anchorage, sometimes I just leave that sticky mud on the anchor. It's a real attention getter.

Web Chiles' response to me in 1979 at a presentation in San Diego when I asked him for a manual bilge pump recommendation; he had just crossed the Pacific in his open boat "Chidiock Tichborne":

"There is no pump better than a frantic man with a bucket."

Recently he stated in an email: "The last months of the five month passage on my first circumnavigation south and east from San Diego to Auckland I bailed seven tons of water from EGREGIOUS every twenty-four hours with a bucket."

Keep doing your pushups Web!
ChrisPuget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2024, 08:57   #22

The cordless P washer sounds like a great idea assuming you have room, budget, and power for it.

However. For decades I have very successfully used this method:
As soon a the chain starts bringing up any mud, stop raising it. Grab the chain between the windlass and the roller, pull up a couple of feet, and if not too heavy, shake it up and down a few times. If too heavy just drop it and repeat a couple of times. This shakes off over 90% of the mud from the chain, and when the anchor is within sight still underwater. Stop and do the same, best to shake up a down a few time. This gets almost all the mud off of anchor and chain. It just take a few seconds. I don’t understand why Eg. On YouTube see experienced cruisers dragging up mud and muck all over the deck. Another thing I always do is keep a mop handy. Plunge the mop in the water to get it wet, wring it and place it spayed out on deck just down stream of where the remaining muddy water wants to flow down your deck. This will catch it. Repeat if necessary. Again this takes seconds to do. The combination almost completely contains/ stops muddy messes while raising anchor. It’s free and takes up the space of a mop, that you have on board anyway. I a very average sized and strength person in my sixties and have had no probem in doing this with 3/8 BBB chain and a 60# anchor. It works! But yeah, why not have a portable pressure washer aboard for a variety of jobs. And there is the occasional time when the muck is soooo tenacious that more mechanical means is necessary.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2024, 10:21   #23

Boat: Gulf 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCoastJoe View Post
I have seen many pressure washer pumps frozen from corrosion after sitting. I use this after every use of my pressure washer at home.

It might be just kerosene with a die in it, but it works.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Powercar...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
100% for this, even if just fresh water, use it every time. Prevents freezing over winter too. If using in salt I would flush with fresh then use this.
Old 16-08-2024, 11:53   #24

Boat: Baba 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
A light bulb just went off in my head -- I installed a fresh water toilet in my after heads last year, and like it so much that I might install another one of the same in my forwards heads this year. These can run on fresh or sea water selectively if you provide a pressurized seawater source. This might be desirable sometime when fresh water is short. The very same pump could supply both toilets AND a washdown pump, and if I replace the forward toilet I'll have a free through-hull for the intake and even a free anti-siphon loop.

Hmmmm.
If you still have the seawater inlet through hull fitting from your conversion, use that for your wash down system source (water pump required). That’s what I did.
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2024, 12:12   #25

I've been researching the same subject and came across this portable washer. Pressure is more on par with built in washdown systems, but on the upside there is no additional Li batteries involved, no install necessary, and it is advertised to pull water from the sea.
https://www.amazon.com/SEAFLO-41-Por...dp/B07DLBDV9V/
Anyone has real experience with this?
Jackdaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor