Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2022, 12:25   #1

Boat: 1982 Morgan OI 416
Correct Anchor?

Hello all.

I just bought a 1982 Morgan out Island 416 from it's original owner (!). Its 41" of bristol condition boat and the has only seen mild weekend and short few day long sails along the New England coast.

The anchor situation on the boat has been sufficient for his sailing/ anchoring situation, which he did very little of. He typically took a mooring or a slip.

I, on the other hand have bigger plans and I'm looking to change the anchor options. This will be a live-aboard circumstance and my need will be both this New England area as well as south to Fl. (grandkids) and the Carib.

Currently there are 2 anchors aboard. A "plow anchor" and a "Danforth." I'm not certain at this moment their weights but I suspect they are (again) sufficient to his past needs for this boat.

I would like to add a Rocna or Mantis for storm related concerns and or use in the Hudson/ ICW (muddy bottoms).

I would like well informed conversation on this topic, OR please direct me to an already solid discussion please.

I know this topic is probably beat to death and yes I've done a search which has not necessarily provided clarity but it has offered loads of opinion.

Thank you in advance. ~Ed
S/V Selene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 13:17   #2

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Correct Anchor?

Based on your topic title we guess you want to know what is the "correct" anchor for your OI41 and your concern about storms.

There is no single "correct anchor". Different cruisers will have different opinions on anchor style and weight.

Mostly people agree that the new generation anchors work better than previous generations of anchors, so you are right in considering something other than your older plow or Danforth although each has its purpose and advocates. Many people are still relying and are happy with both types. However, to not be left out you will want to go with the latest trends and therefore you should select a new generation anchor. It will be very hard to sit at the dock in some marina and explain that you still use an old anchor when everyone else has a new one and they all claim it allows them to sleep better at night.

Manus and Rockna are "new generation" anchors, so your ideas in that regard are appropriate.

Now size: Recent trends are towards bigger anchors. My view is that one of the reasons that new generation anchors are considered so much better is that mostly people have moved up a couple of sizes from what used to be considered normal when they buy a new generation anchor. It is not surprising that a 73lb Rockna holds better than a 44lb CQR plow.

I however have had very good luck with my 44lb Bruce for the last 25 years (obviously not "new generation". Perhaps it has something to do with our anchoring technique.

Nevermind, your vessel will have plenty of buoyancy forward to carry a large anchor, and it won't affect your speed much, so you have a wide choice, subject to what will fit in your roller. You will also need to consider what size chain your windlass will accept. The anchor and chain should match.

I suggest that you review the guides here https://rocna.com/fitment-guide/
and here https://www.mantusmarine.com/

and remember, there is NO one correct anchor.
Old 12-06-2022, 16:31   #3

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

All the new gen anchors are fantastic. They hold better in more bottom types than older style anchors, making them more versatile and reliable all around.
The different brands are all 1% better or worse in different areas.
My favorite is spade, it resets better on changing tide or wind and sets very quickly and strong in most bottom types. However it relies on lead in the tip, so is more difficult to regalvanise
like everything boat related, there is always a tradeoff. The best anchor for you depends on what aspects are most important to you. But it's hard to go wrong with any of the new gen anchors
If you are wanting opinions though, my second favorite (and my pic for best roll bar anchor) is mantus.
Good luck in your decision
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 16:47   #4

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Even if you go to 1>2 new gen anchors at the bow I would still keep the Danforth for a stern/kedge usage.
Hopefully it's a real Danforth, not a copy.
A Fortress makes a decent kedge too.
Old 12-06-2022, 16:49   #5

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Not another anchor thread
Make it stop MAKE IT STOP
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2022, 13:39   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernleyE View Post
Hello all.

I just bought a 1982 Morgan out Island 416

I would like well informed conversation on this topic, OR please direct me to an already solid discussion please.

I know this topic is probably beat to death and yes I've done a search which has not necessarily provided clarity but it has offered loads of opinion.

Ed, congratulations on your new boat.

This issue hasn't been beaten to death. What it HAS been is a valid subject being discussed over a wide range of sub-topics: anchors themselves, anchor systems including different rodes, and choices skippers make in their gear which in turn depends on where they plan to sail, what the bottom material is or could be, and the wind speeds they may encounter.

You claim you've done searches. I suggest you haven't done nearly enough. I read this forum daily and have since I joined it years ago. Anchoring and anchors are a recurring subject, with, yes, many opinions, but often with more fact than BS included. Have you searched on, for example, "What's the best anchor?" Both seriously and with good humor, there are dozens of threads that start with this question. There are also highly respected independent anchor tests available.

The reason for Simi's post is that this question has been asked and answered so many times, that it simply means YOU haven't done your homework, and that your claim that you have is one that many will find disputable.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2022, 14:21   #7
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Hello all.

I just bought a 1982 Morgan out Island 416 from it's original owner (!). Its 41" of bristol condition boat and the has only seen mild weekend and short few day long sails along the New England coast.

The anchor situation on the boat has been sufficient for his sailing/ anchoring situation, which he did very little of. He typically took a mooring or a slip.

I, on the other hand have bigger plans and I'm looking to change the anchor options. This will be a live-aboard circumstance and my need will be both this New England area as well as south to Fl. (grandkids) and the Carib.

Currently there are 2 anchors aboard. A "plow anchor" and a "Danforth." I'm not certain at this moment their weights but I suspect they are (again) sufficient to his past needs for this boat.

I would like to add a Rocna or Mantis for storm related concerns and or use in the Hudson/ ICW (muddy bottoms).

I dont know the “best” or even the “right” answer.

But i can say that for my 41’ boat my 60# Manson Supreme has held fine for 5.5 years of travelng. That includes regular days, crrent switch locations, a few 180 degree sudden swing 60+ mph wind days. It has nl6 dragged once and only failed to set with first try 3 times.

I would say any similar new gen anchor of same same would be a fine choice for you.

Btw, sorry others could have posted the same in the same amount of time they trashed your question, but didn't
Old 13-06-2022, 14:38   #8

Boat: Boatless but working on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Not another anchor thread
Make it stop MAKE IT STOP
Anchors. The gift that keeps giving!
Alistair242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2022, 15:01   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post

Btw, sorry others could have posted the same in the same amount of time they trashed your question, but didn't

I agree with your recommendations.

Reason I said what I did was that he claimed he'd done his own search. If one goes to the forum topic that shows all the anchoring threads, even without searching, there ares three or four "answers" to his question on the first two pages alone, each of which have 8 or more pages of their own.

I just think a lot of us are tired of typing the same answers to the same questions, but many of us do and that's what keeps forums alive.

I just don't like having to do it for somebody who'd claimed to have done his homework and clearly hadn't.

My day to be honest, I'll put it away for a while.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2022, 15:04   #10

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
I've done a search which has not necessarily provided clarity but it has offered loads of opinion
You will have to inform yourself and decide for yourself.
I recommend you watch the videos of SV Panope, it'll give you a pretty broad overview of the complexities and his specific testing results.

Fair winds
Dirk

(Tartan 40, 25kg Rocna Vulcan)
krid2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2022, 15:20   #11

Boat: ChrisCraft,Connie,37ft

Bahamas = Bruce anchor every time except the turtle grass flats inside North Abacos. Just a big ball of grass like all the rest.
Old 13-06-2022, 16:58   #12
CLOD

Boat: none

[QUOTE=Stu Jackson;3638581

I just think a lot of us are tired of typing the same answers to the same questions, but many of us do and that's what keeps forums alive.

:[/QUOTE]

It is pretty easy to not type “the same answers”. Just don't type.
Old 13-06-2022, 19:07   #13

I second reviewing the SV Panope videos on YouTube and deciding for yourself. Finally, someone has done a fairly rigorous set of anchor tests in a variety of bottom types (over 130 videos!) instead of just claiming that their anchor is the best.

A surprise in these tests is the original Rocna did poorly (although the Rocna Vulcan ranked #1). You really can't go wrong with any of the top five.

And size still counts. Go for the biggest anchor you can reasonably fit as your primary anchor. I would go at least 60lbs for your boat. Some say that the "right" anchor for your boat is the one that makes people laugh at its size when they walk down the dock

Higher quality anchors means that it's rare to see someone using two anchors these days. And in a crowded anchorage there isn't swinging room for one boat to use two anchors while everyone else is using one. But keep the Danforth (or upgrade to a similar Fortress). It's ideal in soft mud. Also portable enough to row out in the dinghy as a kedge if you run aground.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2022, 19:14   #14

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Throw the Danforth in the trash and get a fortress.

And go buy a Rocna.

There that was easy. What size depends on your plans.

Did you check your chain?
Old 13-06-2022, 20:42   #15

Boat: Cape Dory 31

I have a Mantus and a Spade and I trust each with my life. I also have all the chain my vessel can reasonably accommodate. I seldom hear anyone complaining that their anchor is too heavy or that they have too much chain.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor