Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2016, 04:27   #16

Boat: 1951 Alan Payne 28ft sloop
Re: Cost of re galvanizing

Just had an anchor re-galvanised in Sydney. Cost the same as a new anchor but it had been painted with epoxy and that apparently cost a bit to remove. It was putting rust marks over the foredeck as it is located in chocks so something had to be done. Happy with re-using an old anchor at the end of the day.

Know the galvaniser and put it in to be galvanised with a heap of other stuff.
Mossy Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 05:27   #17

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Make sure that the galvanizer has a tumbler. Had friends who a chain done in South Africa and the zinc 'welded' the chain into one mass. Two guys broke it apart with hammers. Doing this seemed to expose bare steel in places. I am going to try galvanizing paint, many coats, on an anchor this spring. About $20 and still cheap if I have to do it every couple of years.
Old 07-04-2016, 05:34   #18

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
Make sure that the galvanizer has a tumbler. Had friends who a chain done in South Africa and the zinc 'welded' the chain into one mass. Two guys broke it apart with hammers. Doing this seemed to expose bare steel in places. I am going to try galvanizing paint, many coats, on an anchor this spring. About $20 and still cheap if I have to do it every couple of years.
Hot dip galvanizing forms a metalurgical bond with pure zinc over a zinc iron alloy. No comparison to zinc paint.

I wouldn't bother with zinc paint if you plan to use your anchor. It will however be a cheap way to keep your anchor looking nice when stowed.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:12   #19

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
Can members provide their experiences with the cost of re galvanzing an anchor?

I was quoted $150 for a 36# anchor or 3 for $400. I have no idea if this is low, high or correct.
That's more than retail for my 33 lb. anchor. Have you considered replacing it instead?
Old 07-04-2016, 11:57   #20

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

I was charged $105 in November of 2012 to regalvanize 246lb of chain and anchors. I had no frozen links in the 5/16" BBB chain, and I was quite happy with the work. The minimum weight was 250 lb, and that was what I was charged for.

In August of 2015 I had 250 lb of chain and a small anchor regalvanized. I got to the minimum that time by adding a friend's chain to mine to make the minimum weight. The bill was $273.74. There were a couple of frozen links, but I could break them apart by hand.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 04:20   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Legacy, sedan, 42'

Every galvanizer I have worked with has a minimum charge, up to a specific weight. Of two I use now, one charges a price for up to 650 lbs and the second one has a price for all galvanizing up to 925 lbs. Bring in your 100 lb anchor and you are paying the same as I do for 9 of the same anchor. That is why I wait until we have a large number of Super MAX Anchors produced before we go to galvanizing. For owners of our anchor, if they can get their anchor and or chain to me, I will include in my regular galvanizing orders. This saves the individual anchor owner a lot on costs. I suggest you find a galvanizing shop and get a few buddies to go together to get it done. A good shop can get your chain done without any problems of locking links together.

Steve Bedford
Super MAX Anchors
Steve Bedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 06:30   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage

Brits might like to know that BE Wedge in Willenhall, West Midlands; has one of the last places capable of galvanizing chain properly. A couple of years ago I had 50m of 3/8" chain plus a 35lb CQR regalvanized for £160. Turn round in under a week.