Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2017, 14:08   #31

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Damaged windlass

There is a product in a spray can called "Freeze Off" or something like that. It's made by CRC and available at auto parts stores. It contains penetrating oil but also lowers the temperature of what you are spraying it on.

As many of us know, metal parts shrink slightly when cooled and expand when heated.

To use this product, you would spray it liberally on the shaft and nut, concentrating as much as possible on the shaft. You're going to spray a lot more than you would think, maybe a third of the can. This will shrink both the shaft and the nut. Hit it with a hammer a few times and then try your impact wrench on it.

If this doesn't break it loose, cool it some more and then heat the nut with a torch (if safe), trying to heat just the nut, not the shaft. This should expand the nut making it larger than the shaft. Try the hammer and impact wrench on it again.

If the combination of the shrinking and expanding, the shock from the hammer and the impact wrench doesn't do it, the next step would be a nut splitter. Of course if you have to resort to that, you'll need a new nut.

If you don't have access to an air or electric powered impact wrench, you can buy one that you hit with a hammer. A hand sledge works better than a typical carpenter's hammer.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:08   #32

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

For those who asked, here is a photo of the clutch nut on our windlass. The shaft is totally enclosed by the drum and not visible or accessible. You can see the rectangular slot for a flat metal bar. I have been informed that you turn the nut counterclockwise to loosen, which should slacken the clutch and allow the gypsy to to freely.

In addition to this nut being locked up, there is the corrosion issue of the stainless nut and the aluminum drum to deal with. Kroil, heat and a hammer.

Thanks!

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Windlass 2.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	422.5 KB
ID:	155400   Click image for larger version

Name:	Windlass 3.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	393.1 KB
ID:	155401  

steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 05:46   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Just for curiosity sake, can you still get that "nut" from Lofrans?

Me just being me I'd buy a spare nut and a really BIG pipe wrench.

The photo held a lot, I imagined the slot as vertical.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:28   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Just for curiosity sake, can you still get that "nut" from Lofrans?

Me just being me I'd buy a spare nut and a really BIG pipe wrench.

The photo held a lot, I imagined the slot as vertical.
Beats me, I'm not sure if I can get ANY parts for it. I know the internals have been trashed, so I may be looking at a new windlass. I hope not, as that opens up some cans of worms that I am not anxious to tackle.

I have an 18" pipe wrench and I think a length of pipe. Nothing like the 48" ones we had in the oil field.

I also have an Ingersoll-Rand air impact wrench rated for 700 foot-pounds in reverse, although our compressor is pretty small for it. I may toy with having someone in Corfu make me something that will fit over this nut and engage the slot. Still thinking on it while the Kroil works.

Steve
Old 05-09-2017, 07:48   #35

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 48

Heat the top nut as hot as you dare.

Remove lamp well away and spray WD40 or similar into the gap - be aware that it may light so have damp rags or fire extinguisher handy.

Rinse and repeat several times.

Insert the flat bar that you have at 90 to fore aft line of boat and attach a line to end.

Run this back to your biggest winch and crank on the pressure - not too much as to damage any thing.

Heat up nut again and tension up on the winch - slowly -

STOP and let it sit for a while at that loading.

Apply WD40 and increase pressure.

If you can extend the flat bar with some quality pipe so that it is about 1.5 metres long.

Take you time and do not rush.

HTH

Paula
paulajayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:40   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

One way or another resolution is coming. I can feel it!
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:26   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulajayne View Post
Heat the top nut as hot as you dare.

Remove lamp well away and spray WD40 or similar into the gap - be aware that it may light so have damp rags or fire extinguisher handy.

Rinse and repeat several times.

Insert the flat bar that you have at 90 to fore aft line of boat and attach a line to end.

Run this back to your biggest winch and crank on the pressure - not too much as to damage any thing.

Heat up nut again and tension up on the winch - slowly -

STOP and let it sit for a while at that loading.

Apply WD40 and increase pressure.

If you can extend the flat bar with some quality pipe so that it is about 1.5 metres long.

Take you time and do not rush.

HTH

Paula
Good suggestions. I had not thought of using a winch. I guess I just reached for a hammer out of habit...

Steve
Old 21-04-2018, 00:26   #38

Boat: Elan Impression 434
Damaged windlass

I just fully serviced my 10 year old vertical Lofrans x2. Thread with photos can be found on this forum. Getting it off/apart is the first part of your journey. Was a moderately serious workshop job. Once you get it off I suspect it’ll need many bearings and parts replacing. Would wrap your head round a replacement being easier and more comforting... but not cheaper.
Charliemciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 00:38   #39

Boat: Elan Impression 434

I will add that the Lofrans service kit for mine was fantastic - i spent another £100 in bearings. So £200 and many hours getting it apart,
cleaned, and back together. I ordered one addition part from the U.K. Lofrans reseller which was a few weeks. I never managed to separate the shaft from the shaft sleeve, but that was ok. It’s back together and I will do a lite service every year henceforth, major service probably every 5.
Charliemciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 10:57   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliemciver View Post
I will add that the Lofrans service kit for mine was fantastic - i spent another £100 in bearings. So £200 and many hours getting it apart,
cleaned, and back together. I ordered one addition part from the U.K. Lofrans reseller which was a few weeks. I never managed to separate the shaft from the shaft sleeve, but that was ok. It’s back together and I will do a lite service every year henceforth, major service probably every 5.
Thanks, Charlie. I finally did get my windlass disassembled and rebuilt. Almost everything I needed was available from industrial supply houses - seals, bearings, o-rings, etc. The only thing I had to purchase from Lofrans was the clutch springs, which were two stainless cupped washers.

This was a big job, and I was thrilled to get it finished!

Steve

Tags
wind, windlass