Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2006, 19:27   #46

My $0.02:

With all the things you have to worry about when anchoring, setting two plastic plates on a spreader doesn't seem like a monumental task.

Will it stop any vessel from hitting you? Of course not. Does everyone even know what it means? Nope. Is it a sure bet that in an investigation the anchor ball will make you regain damages to your boat? Maybe, maybe not.

But if I can do something that takes under one minute that improves safety, I'm all for it.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 19:59   #47

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart
My $0.02:

With all the things you have to worry about when anchoring, setting two plastic plates on a spreader doesn't seem like a monumental task.

Will it stop any vessel from hitting you? Of course not. Does everyone even know what it means? Nope. Is it a sure bet that in an investigation the anchor ball will make you regain damages to your boat? Maybe, maybe not.

But if I can do something that takes under one minute that improves safety, I'm all for it.
As long as it's not an M.T.D.S

Welcome to the fun rebel heart

Dave
Old 08-12-2006, 20:39   #48

Actually, we should all go purchase 3 balls. IIRC we are meant to display these when we are aground. Also, a davis radar reflector is not big enough at 11.5"dia. or so. The required size is .6m or about 23.5" I think. I raise a ball when anchored because I have one and it isn't hard to do. Can't say that somebody not raising one has ever endangered my life though. I try not to hit other boats, anchored or not. I did get lambasted by the captain of a charter boat once when I was in the process of trying to get my hook stuck in a weedy bottom with a strong current once and he saw my running lights still on and thought I would move out of his way (He was passing through a designated anchorage) I suppose that I should have killed the running lights and hit the anchor light the moment I threw the hook but I was a little busy!
yotphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 21:59   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotphix
Actually, we should all go purchase 3 balls. IIRC we are meant to display these when we are aground. Also, a davis radar reflector is not big enough at 11.5"dia. or so. The required size is .6m or about 23.5" I think. I raise a ball when anchored because I have one and it isn't hard to do. Can't say that somebody not raising one has ever endangered my life though. I try not to hit other boats, anchored or not. I did get lambasted by the captain of a charter boat once when I was in the process of trying to get my hook stuck in a weedy bottom with a strong current once and he saw my running lights still on and thought I would move out of his way (He was passing through a designated anchorage) I suppose that I should have killed the running lights and hit the anchor light the moment I threw the hook but I was a little busy!
I think the only thing more common in sailing than seawater is unsolicited advice. If I had a dime for every "captain" who felt the need to share his opinion with me, I could probably buy a battleship w/crew.

I had a guy yell at me one time, from a powerboat, that he had the right of way (I was under sail; no aux) because he was over taking me.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 00:11   #50

Yep that sure was a good bit of info he gave you. Did you call the people who wrote the colregs to tell them they had it wrong?
yotphix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor