Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2021, 14:19   #1

Deep water anchoring

Are there any tips on anchoring in relatively deep water, 30-40 meters?
Westerly31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 14:33   #2

Boat: Colegate 26
Re: Deep water anchoring

That has the potential to be a heck of a lot of weight to lift when it's time to retrieve the anchor. Are you using a powered windlass or manual? I'd be sure to give either one periodic rests as to not burn out.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 14:38   #3

We haven't done it often, but when we anchored in 30m we put out all 60m of chain, then 20m of rope. (20mm nylon)

We made sure the rope was well clear of the bottom, to avoid abrasion.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 14:48   #4

Tip#1:

Move to shallower waters to deploy an anchor.

Tip#2:

Reread and follow tip #1:

Tip #3:

Utilize a short length of chain rode linked to a lot of rope rode so as to be able to not carry or deploy too much weight of chain rode albeit retain a reasonable degree of scope depending on weather and current conditions.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 15:07   #5

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Tip#1:

Move to shallower waters to deploy an anchor.

Tip#2:

Reread and follow tip #1:
I haven't done a lot of deep anchoring, but my experience is exactly the opposite of this. It is very probable that moving to shallow water is a very bad idea, the shallow areas surrounding a deep anchorage can have a much poorer seabed for anchor holding, and will also often be on a slope, and may also require a shore-tie ... when there is a nice flat bottom with good holding and room to swing just a hundred metres away in the deep water.

I made this mistake once because with no windlass the thought of hauling up all chain from 30m in the morning made me seek out a shallower spot. I ended up dragging my anchor into the deep water anyway when the wind picked up overnight. It would have been much better to drop the anchor in the the deep water to start with ... despite the undesired extra workout in the morning.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 15:19   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

The ability to anchor in deep water opens up a lot of potential anchoring spots and cruising grounds. It is a worthwhile goal to aim for when equipping a cruising boat.

A powerful anchor windlass is important. This also has benefits in shallower anchorages. As scope can be reduced somewhat as the depth increases, a large amount of chain is less necessary than may be first imagined, but if anchoring in 30m+ 100m (or more) is nice to have.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 15:21   #7

I have a power windlass. As I understand, it is better to have reasonable long chain and really long rope.
The plan is to anchor in Saquenay fiord where deep water anchorages are very possible.
Westerly31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 15:54   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerly31 View Post
I have a power windlass.
Unfortunately, some sailboats are fitted with relatively small anchor windlasses.

If you are anchored in 30m+ of water, unless you have less than 30m+ of chain the windlass will be required to at least reliably lift the weight of 30m+ chain plus the anchor. Despite the windlass specifications some sailboat windlasses exhibit obvious displeasure when this is tested in real life.

Try gradually increasing the anchoring depth until you find the limit.
Old 01-06-2021, 15:56   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
I haven't done a lot of deep anchoring, but my experience is exactly the opposite of this. It is very probable that moving to shallow water is a very bad idea, the shallow areas surrounding a deep anchorage can have a much poorer seabed for anchor holding, and will also often be on a slope, and may also require a shore-tie ... when there is a nice flat bottom with good holding and room to swing just a hundred metres away in the deep water.

I made this mistake once because with no windlass the thought of hauling up all chain from 30m in the morning made me seek out a shallower spot. I ended up dragging my anchor into the deep water anyway when the wind picked up overnight. It would have been much better to drop the anchor in the the deep water to start with ... despite the undesired extra workout in the morning.
Agreed deploying on to a steep slope is ill advised. Anchors like **** slide and roll down hill and proper choice of substrate is equally important as the anchor has to dig in to be of any benefit. Steep gradients often have unstable or shallow substrates and thus make for poor holding.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 15:57   #10

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerly31 View Post
I have a power windlass. As I understand, it is better to have reasonable long chain and really long rope.
The plan is to anchor in Saquenay fiord where deep water anchorages are very possible.
Well at least you won't have coral issues. Is it possible to anchor very close to shore with a stern line taken to a convenient tree or rock.
Old 01-06-2021, 16:03   #11

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Most of my anchoring is in Alaska and rarely less than 25 fathoms. I use all chain, a 4:1 scope, and a 200# anchor. If I anchor in swells or storm I go to 7:1, use a 6' danforth, and a bridle to distribute the load. Rarely 2 anchors. I have a 240v Ac windless.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 16:04   #12

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
We haven't done it often, but when we anchored in 30m we put out all 60m of chain, then 20m of rope. (20mm nylon)

We made sure the rope was well clear of the bottom, to avoid abrasion.

How is it handling that chain to rope transition with 30m of chain dangling down?
Old 01-06-2021, 16:29   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
Most of my anchoring is in Alaska and rarely less than 25 fathoms. I use all chain, a 4:1 scope, and a 200# anchor. If I anchor in swells or storm I go to 7:1, use a 6' danforth, and a bridle to distribute the load. Rarely 2 anchors. I have a 240v Ac windless.
This is great to hear.

Large boats such as your 83 foot vessel think nothing of anchoring in 25+ fathoms (46+m).

While this is probably not practical for most 31 foot boats it is pity that so many cruising yachts have equipment (and perceptions) that limit their anchoring depths so severely. It eleminates many otherwise excellent anchorages.
Old 01-06-2021, 16:34   #14

Boat: 1984 Passport 42 pilothouse cutter

I can't find it now. There was a good article about deep water anchoring. I thought it was in a Morgan's loud book. Had a lot about the benefits, setting up for 100ft+ anchorages.

A lot of perks for staying out of marinas and moorings. They had several rodes set up so it was easy to add to the main rode depending on the depth. It was very interesting.

I have been thinking about using Amstel / dyneema for a long rode. Super strong and you can get in 1200 ft spools, which gives you enough for 200 ft. You would need to treat it like chain and use a snubber. Flexible so it packs in a small space. 3/8" runs through my windless but I never tested at load

A few pages with tips. There were also a couple forum threads about deep water anchoring.

https://marinegyaan.com/what-is-deep-water-anchoring/

https://www.sportfishingmag.com/how-...in-deep-water/
alaskanviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 16:42   #15

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30

I have anchored several times in deep (over 30m) water. I carried 80m of 12mm chain, with rope backup, connected to a 45lb CQR or in areas with lots of weed or rocks a 100lb fisherman. This was possible because I had a hydraulic windlass powered by a pump on the engine. I don’t believe a typical yacht type 12vt windlass could have coped with this setup.
I agree with the poster who said that anchoring in shallow areas with steep drop offs is not a good idea unless you are close to shore and can also tie to a tree.
Fiordland in NZ is a classic example of deep anchorages unless you anchor at the head of the fiord where a river comes in and deposits mud in its delta. The Magellen Strait is another example.
nuku34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, water