Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2012, 11:43   #31

Re: Delta Anchor Bent

Come on guys, it's obvious from the picture of the anchor on the bow what the problem was/is... It's way too shiny...It's obviously intended to look good on the bow, not work well underwater, where it's not visible, haha..but seriously.......

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 12:34   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Been there, done that. I own a bent 25kg Delta anchor. It's in my lazarette, and I guess I should get on with it and either sell it, give it away, or dump it overboard.

It didn't get bent on the seabed however -- rather, in an unpleasant encounter with a pile in Poole Harbour . . .
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 17:18   #33

Boat: a sailing boat

But anchors do just bend now and then. I have seen many bent and of all makes. A rock, a tight cable, a single wave that lifts the bow and that's that - Delta, Rocna or titanium CQR ;-).

If yours is bent - just replace it and that's that.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 17:39   #34

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Weeell, I found they did not hold well anyway. I graduated from a Delta 50# which was totally unreliable to an 88# only to find our boat slipping in 20K wind. Bottom was most likely ell grass, scope over 5. OH and of course, the only times I have ever had an anchor slip occured between 1-4AM.

Now my 80# Supreme.... well that sucker holds and I am not trying to get another "my anchor is better than yours" thread started.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 18:20   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I have a very small aperture through the bowsprit to accept the anchor shank. Can't get most anchors through there, the shanks are too tall.

But the Spade has a three piece triangular shank that has is fairly low, if wide. I have seen other boats of similar sprit design that ended up with a Spade for the same reason.

But.........the upshot is that the Spade shank is relatively reinforced in the sideways direction. Never saw them make a point of it, but now that you bring up the bending thing............
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 19:07   #36
cruiser

If our Lewmar 75 pound CQR ever needs replacement, I plan on buying a 99 pound Ultra Anchor which has a lifetime warranty.

It seems to me that your 44 pound Delta might be a little undersized for your boat.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 19:58   #37

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

The problem with S/S anchors is S/S is much softer. It shouldn't be that hard to bend the achor back to the original state. It will bend again, but it won't rust as quickly as galvinized. If you are able secure the anchor, then using a 10 ft pipe on the attach point, you should be able to bend it back into shape without much problem. There are always give and takes to everything. Giving 3-4 times the price of a galvinized anchor for a S/S one and then finding out it isn't as good , except it looks pretty, is a bummer.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 20:02   #38

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Didn't you know that, that S/S anchor was not ment to be used. It's kind of like having a trophy wife. They are great to look at but hell to live with.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, delta