Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2010, 21:46   #1

Boat: Hans Christian 38T "Penelope"
Delta Fast Set or CQR ?

Im kind of stuck on this one. I have a 45# CQR on Penelope. I have been doing alot of reading and research. With all the info I have gathered it seems there are those that swear by the CQR and then there are those that think the CQR is not so good. I have never had any trouble setting my CQR I start out with a short scope and it seems to hook up pretty quick. I think the short scope helps keep the anchor shank from laying on the bottom while setting. Then I let out the amount of scope I want after that. I have been considering replacing the CQR with a 45#Delta. It just seems the delta is a better design and will set faster and hold better. I also have 300ft 3/8ths BBB in front of the Anchor and 100ft of 5/8ths nylon. Any Thoughts. ( I thought about a Manson Supreme I dont think I can get it under my Bowsprit plus its pretty new and I really dont see a good reason for the roll bar other than to add support to the back of the Anchor it looks kind of flimsy. It looks like it digs right in though.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Happy New Year.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	12401  
Penelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 23:42   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
The one observation a survey picked up when we bought our Moody was the chain was rusty and due replacement after 20 years. We took the opportunity to replace the "copy" CQR at the same time with a Delta and bought a Fortress as a second anchor. Funds were (and still are) tight so it was the Delta for us rather than a Rocna or a Spade, at twice the price. If we go long term sailing we would add a Spade as the main anchor as they advise 15kgs for us over the recommended 10 kgs for a Delta or Rocna. However no complaints from the Delta, we tend to anchor in sheltered spots for obvious reasons and it has never failed to set.

If I were you, well I would change out the CQR for either the Delta or Spade.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:24   #3

Boat: Mason 43
CQR

We are what you might call reluctant converts to the CQR. When we bought our boat (a Mason 43), we also bought an aluminum Spade (A140) which turned out to be a waste of money. The alum. Spade would not set in any but the most ideal conditions (too light, I imagine, since the steel ones are reportedly better). So we reverted to the 45# CQR that had come with the boat. It was supposed to be a temporary situation. Yet for the next five years we used that CQR--from Alaska to Mexico, across the S. Pacific and in New Zealand. The only time we dragged was in Mazatlan--but that wasn't the fault of the anchor (we had been unable to set the anchor, but did not move because we wanted a good Wi-Fi signal; we got blown into better holding ground by a thunderstorm). Keep in mind, we live on anchor--when we're not underway, we're on the hook.

Finally, in NZ, we had the chance to acquire a larger CQR for a decent price--a 60# CQR knock-off by Manson. We thought about buying a different type of anchor, but for us that would be like going from something that we know works to something that we're unsure of.

Those that say you should have different types of anchors for different types of holding ground don't seem to understand how much work it is to switch out 45#-60# anchor. It is not practical. The CQR will set in any decent holding ground; if it doesn't set, we move the boat.

I could get into a theoretical discussion of why we like the CQR, but that's been done so often. In the end, we use the CQR because it has never let us down. We still have the Spade, which I'll sell to you for, say, $20; but you'll have to come to NZ to pick it up.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:48   #4

The Delta will set easier and faster. The CQR will do a little better in a wind shift. I prefer the Delta... albeit with a wary eye toward major windshifts. Not sure I would change one for the other if I already had one.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:06   #5

Boat: Mason 43
Speed of Setting vs. Reliability in Windshifts? Hmmmm. Which do you think is more important? Frankly, I have no idea which anchor sets faster. Our CQR either sets or it doesn't. But we don't use a stop-watch and haven't entered any anchor-setting races (don't you just hate those anchorages where everybody is racing for same damn spot?).
Old 06-01-2010, 10:10   #6

We have a Delta, 1 size up, best anchor we've ever had, biggest problem is getting it to let go when we want to leave. But we have a Manson Supreme on order, also 1 size up, likely won't fit the bow roller but I'll figure something out.
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:36   #7

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
I replaced a Bruce with an oversized Delta for my boat last year - Even at the locations infamous for poor holding, it set and held through squalls and current. Have never used a CQR but I highly recommend the Delta anchor.
Sailndive345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:42   #8

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
I got rid of the CQR and bought a Delta. We dragged often with the CQR but not with the Delta. Also, I don't have to worry about crushing my thumb anymore.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 21:31   #9

Thank you for all the input. Anchors are such an important item. And also very opinin forming. I was out this weekend didnt use my CQR. Instead I was using a Danforth 12H thought I would give it a try with 6ft of 3/8ths chain 5/8 nylon anywhere from 3:1 to 5:1 scope bottom conditions were ideal (columbia river sand some times mud and sand ) that little sucker dug in to China. It was kind of nice didnt need the windlass I had the Anchor line in a mesh bag I bought from West marine I was able to get 200ft of 5/8ths 3 strand and 6ft of 3/8ths BBB chain in the small bag. I think Im going to keep the CQR. Actual what Im going to do is go to the Boat show and really check into the anchors side by side. I know one thing for sure and that is Im going to buy a Fortress FX-16 . To add to my anchor supply I figure if that 12H worked the FX-16 is going to be perfect its really nice to be able to drop the hook and handle the anchor on the foredeck easily. I also have a FX-55 and a FX-37. You can see Im a Fortress fan there customer service is second to none.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	heading south.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	424.0 KB
ID:	12513  
Old 13-01-2010, 10:19   #10

yea... a big Fortress literally thrown over the bow saved my boat once... (70mph+ squall...180 degreee wind reversal, the Delta had been dug in for 10 days and came out with the bottom still attached to it!) boat stopped about one boat length from the beach with the rudder skeg touching bottom occassionally! The anemometer was pegged at 71mph and the engine was in gear at 2400 rpm....
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 11:54   #11

Boat: Schock 35
Personally, I am a Fortress fan, especially so since I do not have a windlass on the boat and must haul the anchor manually. My other anchor is a Davis Talon XT, which in my opinion, should be looked at by anybody considering a Delta.

03anchor
Tom Spohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 14:27   #12

Holy cow sounds like a close one. Also sounds like the Delta was doing its Job. What size was it. What size Fortress did you use? The Shank im holding in the photo is a FX-55.
Old 13-01-2010, 14:42   #13

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
I bought a Fortress FX-33 as a 'spare' for Layla some time ago and have not even assembled it yet - It seems to have two different fluke angles possible; for 'generic' use around SE US and Northern Bahamas/Abacos, which one of these angles is recommended?

Also, do you keep the Fortress assembled full time? If so, where do you store it so it's ready to use on short notice as Cheechako mentioned?

Not meaning to steal the thread of course thought it is related enough...

Fair winds and peaceful anchorages!..

Sailndive
Sailndive345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 14:59   #14
cruiser

Delta is a much better anchor and much easier to build. Lay both the Delta and CQR on their side on hard packed sand and see which one has the point pointed in the right direction. No moving parts, and a shank that can slice thru sand on the delta are also pluses.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 15:05   #15

I keep my FX-37 in the bag in the closet I can assemble it in less than a minute. Be up on the fore deck in another minute. I keep the shackle with a piece of wire ready to use on the shank. My FX-55 I keep behind seete cushion with two 3/4 in wrenches zip tied to the shank and the shackle on the shank with wire. The FX-16 I will keep assembled all the time. The lower setting is for sand the upper soft mud Fortress says use the sand setting most of the time. And keep the mud palms installed.

Tags
anchor, cqr, delta