Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2024, 19:16   #16

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: Design of No Anchor area

THANK YOU for asking !

Sun Tzu
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2024, 02:32   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Who is going to maintain the buoy? Ongoing maintenance cost and assumes liability.

Ice area?
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2024, 07:16   #18

Boat: Tartan 3800

Minty,

Typically pipelines and intakes are charted. Contact NOAA to see if they'll do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minty View Post
The current plan is to have the following warnings in place:
  • A sign on the shoreline that indicates No Anchoring as well as the hazard type (Pipeline), with text legible from suitably far away
  • A warning buoy anchored above the end of the pipeline

My questions are:
  1. How far from the buoy would a boater keep clear when anchoring?

Far enough away to minimize the risk that the pipeline/intake is mischarted, the buoy is off station, etc. unless there is some compelling reason to anchor closer, such as a lack of other suitable places to anchor.

Quote:
Would a boater see both the buoy and the sign on shore and infer to keep away from the line between them? Or would they just keep clear of the buoy? The sign on shore and the buoy would be 115 m (380 ft) apart, which seems like quite a long distance.

I think most boaters would check the chart first. If the chart shows a pipeline or intake, they'll make every effort to stay clear.
Old 30-05-2024, 07:36   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your replies! This gives some great context.

The current plan is to have the following warnings in place:
  • A sign on the shoreline that indicates No Anchoring as well as the hazard type (Pipeline), with text legible from suitably far away
  • A warning buoy anchored above the end of the pipeline

My questions are:
  1. How far from the buoy would a boater keep clear when anchoring?
  2. Would a boater see both the buoy and the sign on shore and infer to keep away from the line between them? Or would they just keep clear of the buoy? The sign on shore and the buoy would be 115 m (380 ft) apart, which seems like quite a long distance.

They will figure out a safe distance for themselves. Just give a margin of error for inaccuracies in charts or positions and call it good.

The main thing is to properly mark this. Pipeline hazard is not the same as what you are doing.

You need to make sure local sailing clubs and marinas are informed, and notify the coast guard so that proper information can be send to NOAA for inclusion in charts, and for inclusion in a few Notices to Mariners.

This is a serious hazard and you need to do everything strictly by the books. You can be sued if someone loses his boat because of this, and you missed some notice or another.'

Make sure also that you have all required permissions.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2024, 07:40   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Minty,

Typically pipelines and intakes are charted. Contact NOAA to see if they'll do that.

Far enough away to minimize the risk that the pipeline/intake is mischarted, the buoy is off station, etc. unless there is some compelling reason to anchor closer, such as a lack of other suitable places to anchor.

I think most boaters would check the chart first. If the chart shows a pipeline or intake, they'll make every effort to stay clear.

Proper signage on the shoreline is essential. Make sure there is the right information -- i.e. it's not just a warning about pipelines.

Should also be buoyed properly if it's a hazard to navigation as well as anchoring. Depending on the area covered it might need cardinal marks, rather than an isolated danger mark. Talk to the CG.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2024, 08:45   #21

Boat: 34ft O'Day 1982

Your permit should suffice as source documentation for chart addition:
https://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/...t-updates.html

This is the best way to get obstructions and other things added to the chart; I'm a retired hydrographer/physical scientist with 34 years of charting experience. Other links are below:

https://nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/upda...will-chart-it/

https://nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/upda...l-chart-error/

https://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/...t-updates.html

hydrodawg13 and hydro2
Hydro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 11:05   #22

Boat: Bavaria 38E

Unless the anchored boats are there overnight or unoccupied, dragging into the area is not likely. If the crew is aboard and “up” they will halt any dragging. So it’s doubtful there is much risk to fouling the baskets from such boaters, IMO. But if it’s one of those “boat abandonment areas” there would be risk.

As far as distance away, once again it’s whether the boaters are there for duration or day use. For day use in mild conditions small boats not using chain might veer 3:1 scope, maybe 4:1. So say 100 to 125 ft of anchor line; less if chain. Boaters veering 7:1 to 10:1 scope are setting up for overnight or longer with possible strong winds expected. One size doesn’t fit all despite what is sometimes implied. Inquire of the boating club how their members use the boats. Overnight anchoring might not be permitted. But like as per usual, double the minimum (distance) expected for a boundary, then not worry!
Auklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 11:47   #23

Boat: Bavaria 38E

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your replies! This gives some great context.

The current plan is to have the following warnings in place:[LIST][*] A sign on the shoreline that indicates No Anchoring as well as the hazard type (Pipeline), with text legible from suitably far away
I doubt a sign ashore would discourage anchoring. On a buoy, maybe. Gotta say, signs ashore appear pretty small when viewed from the water. One might not even take notice. To read ‘em, I usually need my binoculars. Otherwise I must come near. Very irritating to come nearshore to read a sign that has deteriorated in visual quality (e.g., faded and dirty from lack of maintenance) only to read “No Anchoring” when not intending to anchor near anyway. Many will ignore it just as with: “No Fishing”, “Dogs Must Be Leashed”, “No Dumping of Sewage”, etc. Few boaters carry binoculars that one could reading anything through while using.

Also. Anchoring is a federal entitlement (maritime law) in nearly all navigable waters of the United States. You might need some real juice to get that to work! Lots of lawsuits over that kind of thing.
Auklet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor