Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2021, 09:37   #1

DIY Bridle

I'm thinking of making a bridle like the pictured example. I know how to do the 3 eye splices, but am wondering which splice is used to attach the 2nd line into the standing line here where the blue arrow is pointing. I can't find anything anywhere online on how to do this "V" splice. Any suggestions? I'm using 3 strand, so I think the brummel splice is out of the question.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3 Strand Bridle.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	463.2 KB
ID:	245926  
roadrunner65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2021, 15:10   #2

Boat: Yankee Dolphin 24'
Re: DIY Bridle

In 3-strand, it is a "side splice", literally the same as an eye splice without the loop, though this version appears to use more tucks. I don't see the end tucks for the 2 back-to-back spices, however I expect them to be where the seizing is. Or, you could use one long length and use a good racking seizing at the middle eye. I'd use 2 seizings, one for the eye and one to hold the legs together.

If you had access to line that holds it's lay better than most synthetics, you could in theory unlay 1/2 of the length, make the extra-long eye splice, re-lay the line back together, and then do the final eye splice. It is, however, very tedious and VERY difficult to re-lay the line with equal loading on each strand. I've only done it to make some small-ish grommets quite some time ago, and I had to redo it a couple of times to get it right.
tenchiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2021, 17:03   #3

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

It looks to me like an eye splice has been put into rope A with a seizing at the upper limit of the splice. Then, rope B has been spliced into rope A from a point above the splice, down to the splice, over the seizing, then continuing to the throat of the eye with a taper. After which, the thimble was forced into the loop.

I first thought it was a modified **** splice, but I don't think so. [The word that the editor starred looks like the word cut. Google it.]
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2021, 23:17   #4

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

i know this is sightly off on a tangent, however why splice it ?

we had a rigger replace our bridle a little while back, and he was adamant that the whipped eye he always makes was better than a splice. we're full time live-aboards so anchor an awful lot and the bridle has seen some seriously heavy conditions. still looks like new

i'd send a pic but it's under water at the moment...

another option is to use 2 seperate legs, each eye-spliced onto a ring

cheers,
Old 26-09-2021, 00:16   #5

Boat: Hunter 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenchiki View Post
In 3-strand, it is a "side splice", literally the same as an eye splice without the loop, though this version appears to use more tucks. I don't see the end tucks for the 2 back-to-back spices, however I expect them to be where the seizing is. Or, you could use one long length and use a good racking seizing at the middle eye. I'd use 2 seizings, one for the eye and one to hold the legs together.
Have closer look!

The only whipping is hard against the thimble. The dark patches 1/2 way along the long splice is the heat melted ends of the two splices that form the long splice, an eye splice for the thimble and a long splice for the left-hand bridle.
Old 26-09-2021, 06:31   #6

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

40 South,

I think you are right. I mistook the brown area in the middle as a seizing. By comparing it to the fused strands on the eye splices at the ends of the bridle ropes it does look like the ends of fused strands. I now think the maker made an eye splice in one rope around the thimble. then made a splice into that first rope with a second rope beginning above the eye splice and working down to the eye splice, and finally fused the six protruding strands in three groups of two at that point.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2021, 08:18   #7

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

I made my own bridle a couple of years ago as per your photo, used an eye splice for the section you have highlighted. Has worked fine.
ilenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2021, 08:57   #8

Thanks for all the great advice. As far as the "side splice" goes, how many tucks would you recommend. I know the standard eye splice is 5, but would the other splice be more robust by adding more since there is no loop?
roadrunner65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2021, 18:25   #9

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner65 View Post
Thanks for all the great advice. As far as the "side splice" goes, how many tucks would you recommend. I know the standard eye splice is 5, but would the other splice be more robust by adding more since there is no loop?
From memory I did about 8 or 9. This site saids for mooring, towlines, and other long term or critical applications, seven tucks are recommended.

https://www.animatedknots.com/eye-splice-knot
ilenart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bridle, DIY