Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2015, 17:02   #16
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
re: Do I need a Swivel on my Anchor?

I'm not hard core either way, but...

1. When I upgraded my anchor, I removed the swivel and found an incipient crack hidden inside.

2. If you do not have a swivel, it is critical to align the chain from gypsy to anchor. Having a sharp grove in the roller helps too. You may occasionally get a 1/2 twist anyway, but they are easy to work out by twisting the chain with a gloved hand while lowering a few feet. Normally it comes out on its own next time you lower the anchor.
Old 09-08-2015, 17:29   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Something I don't understand. With the swivel do you still have to manually orient the anchor so the shaft enters the roller in the correct orientation? If you have 12 - 18 inches of chain between the anchor and the swivel it seems to me that you will still have the same orientation problem. Even without that length of chain how in the world does the swivel ensure that the anchor is correctly oriented on retrieval? What am I missing here. Or is it just that it makes it easier to orient the anchor in the correct direction? I've never used one and never had a problem.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 17:55   #18

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755

It makes it easier to orient the anchor but it doesn’t happen automatically. And, speaking from experience, it's one more thing to worry about.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
www.travellingwithgeorge.blogspot.com
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 17:58   #19

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Something I don't understand. With the swivel do you still have to manually orient the anchor so the shaft enters the roller in the correct orientation? If you have 12 - 18 inches of chain between the anchor and the swivel it seems to me that you will still have the same orientation problem. Even without that length of chain how in the world does the swivel ensure that the anchor is correctly oriented on retrieval? What am I missing here. Or is it just that it makes it easier to orient the anchor in the correct direction? I've never used one and never had a problem.
It does not happen every time but it works most of the time The balance point of a Rocna seems to orient itself with straight ahead as it comes up, magic. If you have only 1 shackle the odds are worse. If you have 2 shackles the odds are better and if you have a swivel the odds are even better still.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 18:42   #20
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
Still,if it took a hurricane to deform the swivel, it does show the strength of this type of swivel.
You might want to keep a close eye on that swivel of yours (X-Ray vision might help ;-))... Sure didn't take a hurricane to cause this one to fail...

Not sure it would have made any difference had it been properly affixed to the shank to begin with, either...

Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude

And to the OP, your new anchor will be identical to mine, which can be manhandled if need be without too much fuss... In that case, Just Say No to Swivels...

;-)
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 18:54   #21

Of course it would make a difference. That is a totally stupid way to attach something to the anchor. This ain't rocket science.
Old 09-08-2015, 19:12   #22
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Of course it would make a difference. That is a totally stupid way to attach something to the anchor. This ain't rocket science.
It certainly is, but while I agree that running the pin of any swivel or shackle is the wrong way to go, I'm not sure one can say definitively that would have been the cause of that particular type of failure...

Not quite as clear cut as the more common mode, to my eye...

Old 09-08-2015, 19:26   #23

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

That Kong swivel failed because the screw backed out of it. The instructions clearly state that Locktite is to be used on the screw. I suspect it was not.

This is no different than not mousing a shackle and losing the anchor.

In this case, the failure was not due to the swivel itself. The speculation that the "pin broke" is wrong - the "pin" (screw, actually) holding the missing part on has almost no load on it at all.

I'm not just defending the Kong swivel - I have used them before and know them well. We do not currently use one.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 19:37   #24

It came unscrewed. I am very happy to see how ductile they are. I was thinking they might crack at the base of the fork. Does not look like it. I don't see any loctite on the threads.
Old 09-08-2015, 19:51   #25
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
That Kong swivel failed because the screw backed out of it. The instructions clearly state that Locktite is to be used on the screw. I suspect it was not.

This is no different than not mousing a shackle and losing the anchor.

In this case, the failure was not due to the swivel itself. The speculation that the "pin broke" is wrong - the "pin" (screw, actually) holding the missing part on has almost no load on it at all.

I'm not just defending the Kong swivel - I have used them before and know them well. We do not currently use one.

Mark
Thanks for the clarification, Mark...

If it comes to the integrity of a vital component of my ground tackle system being dependent on a smear of Loctite to be immersed in seawater for prolonged periods, I think I'll take a pass...

;-)
Old 09-08-2015, 20:18   #26

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

In the first photo, the threads are sheared off.

Just pointing that out if others are interested. I don't know swivel from shinola.
Old 09-08-2015, 20:56   #27

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

If you suffer from twisted chain, and only then, you need a swivel. Some do, many don't.
If it is an anchor orientation on retrieval issue, get an anchor straightener - NOT a swivel - different issue, different solution.

If you use a swivel (because use has proven you NEED one for your particular setup), those failures above are caused by side loads, where these swivels are not at their best. Installing 4 or more links of chain between the anchor and the swivel means that the swivel can never side load. You should NOT have a swivel direct to the anchor stock, although many do.
Old 09-08-2015, 22:43   #28
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthenorth View Post
It makes it easier to orient the anchor but it doesn’t happen automatically. And, speaking from experience, it's one more thing to worry about.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
Travels without George
The Ultra anchor swivel orients the anchor in the proper direction every time. It's one of the primary reasons for getting one.

Why does everyone keep showing cheap over the counter swivels as examples for not getting one? Buy a high quality swivel for 3-4 times the price of the junk... and stop worrying and fussing with your anchor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	107050  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 05:04   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

^^ it is interesting that the ultra swivel fork is attached directly to the anchor shank, which is generally viewed as a "no no" (possible side loading on the fork), but it is (I think) the only way to make this sort of swivel flip the anchor.

Ken, the kong's are not "cheap over the counter swivels". (http://www.kong.it/en/2-products/ite...chor-connector).
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 05:26   #30

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
If it comes to the integrity of a vital component of my ground tackle system being dependent on a smear of Loctite to be immersed in seawater for prolonged periods, I think I'll take a pass...
I understand your purpose is to pile general hate on swivels Jon, but the above sentence doesn't make much logical sense. Why is the necessity of a smear of Loctite any different than a proper mouse of a shackle? And what does being "immersed in seawater for prolonged periods" have anything to do with it? The Loctite or mouse is necessary regardless.

With your reasoning, you should stay away from other immersed marine components relying on Loctite for their assembly - most folding and feathering props, for example.

FWIW, I have had more mousing wire break/chafe/corrode over time in my experiences than Loctite giving way (zero on that last one).

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor