Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 07:58   #1

Boat: SKOOTA Power Catamaran, 40ft
Do I need to buy an anchor before fitting a hinged bow roller?

I'm completing a 40ft cat after the original builder died five years ago. He had already bought a 24V Lofrans Kobra windless, a hinged bow roller, this one (https://www.force4.co.uk/item/Force-...Bow-Roller/TDP

He also has what I think is an anchor stop, in order to take the strain off the windlass once the anchor has set? I've reasoned that the 'flap' must be opened before operating the windlass (otherwise the anchor wouldn't drop), and then placed back down to lock the anchor and relieve the strain of the chain and anchor off the windlass. Is that right? See the video here:

Should I fit this lock once everything else is in place? ie. the last thing to fit.

Looking at the bow roller (mine is the one for anchors up to 20kg), there are six holes. If the roller is positioned so the roller doesn't hit the front of the boat, the four rear holes are positioned where the deck I think is 60mm thick (two 18mm plywood sheets, either side of 20mm Airex foam board and all epoxied together). Should I bolt all the way through this with nuts underneath? The front two holes are at the front of the boat above the cross beam, which is about 150mm thick. Should I bolt all the way through, or just use some 80mm M8 bolt screws? I've made a terrible film here:

I really don't want to get this wrong, so maybe I need to get an anchor first to check how it is all going to sit. I think he was thinking of a 16kg Delta anchor.

Any help, much appreciated.
altruistica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:02   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Do I need to buy an anchor before fitting a hinged bow roller?

Considering that the anchor stop will take all the anchor strain, it needs to be fitted with a backing plate underneath the deck, a nice big thick plate, and each thru' bolt paired with a nice big washer.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:03   #3

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Yes! I would say to choose your anchor first prior to bolting everything down. Anchors vary widely in dimensions, including shaft length, curves, etc. I would highly recommend viewing Panope's videos to form your own opinion on what anchor to get. Skip the Delta--it is OK, but not the best. https://www.youtube.com/@flygoodwin

Typically a 40-foot cat would require at least a 20kg or larger anchor.
Old Today, 08:06   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

A 16 kg anchor seems to be a bit on the light side for a 40' cat, and I would consider upgrading the size and also adding a secondary anchor.

Forgot to add, that an anchor stop is designed to hold chain, if your rode is all chain is one thing, but if you use a chain/nylon combo, it will not hold nylon.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:12   #5

Boat: SKOOTA Power Catamaran, 40ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Considering that the anchor stop will take all the anchor strain, it needs to be fitted with a backing plate underneath the deck, a nice big thick plate, and each thru' bolt paired with a nice big washer.

Thanks for the reply. The anchor stop base, seems to be between three and five millimetres in thickness. Should I be looking for something the same dimension as the base, in five millimetres thick stainless then?
altruistica is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor