Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2020, 13:57   #31

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Dock lines so loud

The observation is correct.

Multiplait / octoplait line as a dock line is quieter than twisted triple strand.

I am not sure if nylon vs polyester there is any noise difference.

I have two tricks that always work but do require some work:

- add a rug swab under the lines, to avoid any contact with gunwale,

- thoroughly wet the cleats and the lines with fresh water.

As long as the lines do not touch the gunwale, and while they are wet, they will remain whisper quiet.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 07:13   #32

Boat: Catalina 350

I’ve had the same problem with both my spring lines. I found just loosening one of them a little bit corrected the problem. Sure she moves a little bit but she’s quiet.
rick bertram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 07:42   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We find 3 strand has too much stretch. The noise is probably the line extending and recovering through the fairlead. Our boat is heavy, 40 tons, so the stretch is big enough to see and even 1-1/2 inch 3 strand would burn through in days. We had to change our anchor snubber to 1 inch dynema with Kevlar antichafe.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 08:13   #34

Boat: 2013 Aquila Power Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by moctrams View Post
I wrap a plastics bag that I get from grocery store around the lines where it goes thru the cleat.
I read this in Stress-Free Sailing: Single and Short-handed Techniques Book by Duncan Wells AND it works....
lhuff35204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 08:49   #35

Creaking and groans are part of the boat experience. And I'm sensitive to noise. Just part of the deal.
Poche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 09:20   #36

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

If the creaking and groaning is coming from your dock lines and not from your back, knees and shoulders you are in great shape. Music to sleep by.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 10:10   #37

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

Not sure if you mean the same thing but the RYA recommend OXO (its also a brand of beef stock in UK) one full turn to the furthest horn, diagonally over the top, under the horn then diagonally across the previous lay, then another full turn, job done. I don't believe it is necessary to create the cross twice which OXXO would seem to imply, or is it meant to imply, round, crossover, cross back over then round again so basically the same as OXO, OXO being a graphic (visual) description and OXXO being a verbal description (round, cross, cross, round)
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 11:34   #38

Boat: Princess 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
We find 3 strand has too much stretch. The noise is probably the line extending and recovering through the fairlead. Our boat is heavy, 40 tons, so the stretch is big enough to see and even 1-1/2 inch 3 strand would burn through in days. We had to change our anchor snubber to 1 inch dynema with Kevlar antichafe.
Maybe your lines are too small in diameter if the stretch is too much. I suppose you need a compromise between stretch amount and the jerking action that could damage cleats if the lines are too big a diameter.
markdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 14:02   #39

Boat: Sold the most recent one but there's always another boat!

I had used 3 strand nylon line from WM for decades, new line with each new to me boat and as needed. Five or six years ago I found that the new WM 3 strand I bought was noisey almost from the beginning. Trust me, if it's noisey on your boat, it's noisey to the boat or boats next to you. After trying a couple of remedies (some that I've seen mentioned here), I gave up and bought some good quality double braid nylon docklines from Defender. No more noise.
GOsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 16:45   #40

I've replaced chafe guards, loosened lines, wrapped chafe areas with plastic bags, and poured liquid dish soap on lines. The best thing I've found is to rub a bar of soap on the lines where they are squeaking. It lasts until there's a good rain then I'll reapply when they start squeaking again.
Runswithhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 18:01   #41

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martkimwat View Post
Not sure if you mean the same thing but the RYA recommend OXO (its also a brand of beef stock in UK) one full turn to the furthest horn, diagonally over the top, under the horn then diagonally across the previous lay, then another full turn, job done. I don't believe it is necessary to create the cross twice which OXXO would seem to imply, or is it meant to imply, round, crossover, cross back over then round again so basically the same as OXO, OXO being a graphic (visual) description and OXXO being a verbal description (round, cross, cross, round)
OXXO is a chain of small food stores everywhere in Mexico and I think I saw them in Panama as well.

I don't know from these X and O descriptions, what the RYA is thinking about whether or how to tuck the final end of the line. I don't believe just taking another wrap without a tuck, is quite enough. And that tuck should never be on the round turn, since then it can be very hard to loosen.

I think "One or two round turns then figure 8" is the best description of what we usually find most cruisers using. The last cross of the figure 8 is twisted as applied on the horn so that it lies parallel to the previous cross and has that final, very necessary tuck. Super easy to remove but will stay in place.
Old 14-04-2020, 08:39   #42
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

OXXO: Round turn (full belay, not 3/4) Crossing turn, Locking cross turn, Round Turn. OXXO is explainatory to the steps involved, not necessarily a visual representation. I did not invent the term, it is fairly common in many modern European sailing schools these days.

If you did not understand the term watch the attached video from my post. It was not long. I put it in there just for that very reason. No, the video does not use the term, calling it the European cleat hitch version instead. But regardless, the narrator ties the same exact hitch, as well as the standard US/Canadian cleat hitch and a modified euro with extra turns for oversized cleats/undersized lines.

While the exact terminology is unimportant, the way the cleat hitch gets rendered is. It's your boat in the end. If people want to tie a Gilligan knot go right ahead. If you can't tie a knot, tie a lot.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock