Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2021, 10:40   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 349
Dock wheels - who used them?

Curious if anyone here uses the corner dock wheel fenders on their home slips. Last experience using them was over 10 years ago on a 34’ American Tug. Problem with them for that boat is that they would just quickly push your bow to the other side and have your crooked quickly when entering. However, that’s was with a powerboat that was much wider in the bow versus the tapered effect of a sailboat where I think it would be useful to help even out things as the widest part of the boat enters which, at that point, you are almost done.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 11:31   #2

Boat: J/42
Re: Dock wheels - who used them?

I have one - maybe a bit bigger than I need, but it was cheap on Craigslist. I try not to need it but in a crosswind or mis-judged turn it can save a go-round. I'm in a twin slip with a very expensive looking power boat on the other side and not much room to spare. Better to roll along the dock than risk scraping the other boat. Also sometimes warp into the slip by pivoting around the wheel.

I usually back in due to the prevailing winds and advantageous prop-walk. But that can mean less fine control. (Funny thing - six or eight years ago, I was the only one who backed in. Now almost everyone on that side of the dock does it. Could it possibly look as if I know what I'm doing?? Weird!)
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 11:59   #3

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

We had one on our "home" slip in Mexico - it was a standard feature of all slips in the marina. Some days it was very useful. I'm thinking of putting one on our new home slip - there are some sharp corners to get around and somedays the wind is not helpful in avoiding them.
Old 05-06-2021, 13:33   #4

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Dock wheels - who used them?

I tried one for a while about ten years ago. It worked but be aware that even white ones pick up dirt, air pollution, etc and leave black marks on your hull. I went back to relying on careful maneuvering and spotting a fender if necessary.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 14:55   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
I tried one for a while about ten years ago. It worked but be aware that even white ones pick up dirt, air pollution, etc and leave black marks on your hull. I went back to relying on careful maneuvering and spotting a fender if necessary.
I plan on having covers that I can wash anyways. Thinking of getting into single handing, sounds like these might be very useful to have.
Old 06-06-2021, 09:46   #6

Boat: Catalina 30

We have a 30' boat in a 45' slip, so width is not a problem. We tied large fenders horizontaly at a few points on the slip edges and enter using a spring line to pull us to one side while the other dock and spring lines are secured.

That said, there is never anything wrong with belts and suspenders.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 10:40   #7

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2

I had one at my previous slip, but my current one has a cleat on the corner and a piling just past that makes it difficult to install. Maybe if I bolted a 4x4 extension diagonally or such, but thus far I’ve managed to do without. I’d fit one if I could though.
Redline452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 10:47   #8
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

there is one already on the finger pier of my slip. I'm sure one day my boat will bounce off of it .. hopefully not into my neighbor's boat .. but so much better than hitting a hard metallic corner
Old 06-06-2021, 10:58   #9

My wife has been saying that we don’t need it. I’m just thinking, it’s a brand new boat, why not have it. For those that do have it, do you go for the largest size?
Old 06-06-2021, 11:43   #10

Boat: Tartan 3800

The wheels are only effective in a fairly narrow set of situations. I like permanently installed fendering on my home slip which covers a larger set of misalignment/wind drift scenarios and which obviates the need to handle fenders aboard at the beginning and end of daysails.
Old 06-06-2021, 13:18   #11

Boat: Grainger Spoonbay 38ft Trimaran

We use one on either side of the slip for our trimaran
Click image for larger version

Name:	15AA11F1-5EC3-4BC9-AB26-D42F8B427642 2.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	413.1 KB
ID:	239847
Old 06-06-2021, 15:37   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterkenny View Post
My wife has been saying that we don’t need it. I’m just thinking, it’s a brand new boat, why not have it. For those that do have it, do you go for the largest size?
That’s funny - because I bought mine because my wife was so nervous when we docked (and she wasn’t even driving! LOL). She was nervous that a corner was going to gouge her baby! I called them her training wheels! But - that isn’t meant in a demeaning way. While I don’t “need” them, it has made docking easier, especially since our wind is often quartering or across the dock. If I get pushed to that side, the wheel just holds us off and rolls along. I’d buy them again. The other advantages is occasionally a fender will ride up and onto the dock. The wheels are always there to keep you centered. Yes - protect your baby!

An interesting side note: our latest boat is so beamy that I literally have to squeeze between them for the last 1/3 as I motor in. So, size, as always, is a consideration.
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 16:50   #13

Boat: Herreshoff 28 modified ketch- wood

I removed one that was black, left marks and was located too close to the cleat. I replaced it by bending some of that molded bumper material on around the corner. The YC was throwing away some of its old stuff. Works well, no big bounces or marks. I’m more worried now by the other side which are big rocks.
bailsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 12:33   #14
PJS

Boat: 2008 40' Sea Ray Sundancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
The wheels are only effective in a fairly narrow set of situations. I like permanently installed fendering on my home slip which covers a larger set of misalignment/wind drift scenarios and which obviates the need to handle fenders aboard at the beginning and end of daysails.
I couldn't disagree more... wheels work in a wide array of situations.
I have a wide beam (13'6"), good bow overhang and very tight fairway into my slip with current and side wind pushing into the dock. The wheel is great protection from the corner of the dock and provides the ability for my crew to focus on other areas like neighbors boat and tending fenders.
Due to the overhand angle and the location of the corner in relation to the point slip entry, it is more difficult to tend a fender than allow the wheel to fend off.
As a matter of fact, fenders just "roll" off the corner and do not remain in position as the boat glides into the slip; a wheel does.
I use a large wheel with a cover and have not had any smudges or gouges.

For those who think or are worried about bouncing off and hitting the neighbors boat, I contend, you are going too fast. I have had no issue with "bouncing" off the wheel and, in fact, aligns the beam from midship aft.
PJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 12:55   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJS View Post
For those who think or are worried about bouncing off and hitting the neighbors boat, I contend, you are going too fast. I have had no issue with "bouncing" off the wheel and, in fact, aligns the beam from midship aft.
My experience was on a completely different hull type than a sailboat. The beam was carried far more forward so, when combined with the wind, would quickly get you out of shape. I think on a sailboat, it would be very helpful given that you should be getting a lot more of the boat into the slip before those would come into play.

Tags
dock, wheel