Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-02-2016, 09:36   #1

Does anyone know more about this boat? It seems pretty amazing.

I was recently in Tortola looking for a catamaran for my family and came across this boat. It seems like an awesome vessel with the refit /upgrades done. Does anyone know more about her. It seems like it would be a perfect world cruiser for a family.
Any non sales / broker info or history on the boat builder etc. would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Paul

BVI Yacht Brokerage | Custom 65 Catamaran for sale 123 Hulls
GreenIssue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 10:30   #2

Boat: Grand Banks 49
Re: Does anyone know more about this boat? It seems pretty amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenIssue View Post
I was recently in Tortola looking for a catamaran for my family and came across this boat. It seems like an awesome vessel with the refit /upgrades done. Does anyone know more about her. It seems like it would be a perfect world cruiser for a family.
Any non sales / broker info or history on the boat builder etc. would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Paul

===

If you are in Tortola and seriously interested, I'd suggest stopping by the Doyle sail loft and speaking to the manager, Bob Phillips. Bob is a good guy who knows just about everybody in Road Town. If he doesn't know the boat he can probably point you to someone who does.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 11:04   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne.b View Post
===

If you are in Tortola and seriously interested, I'd suggest stopping by the Doyle sail loft and speaking to the manager, Bob Phillips. Bob is a good guy who knows just about everybody in Road Town. If he doesn't know the boat he can probably point you to someone who does.
Thanks wayne.b!
Old 29-02-2016, 11:12   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

It is a big baby and an older boat (meaning - it has many 15 years old systems). Unless you know exactly what you are doing, step lightly.

I have worked on a similar (still, a bit smaller) cat and she was to much for a man and woman (no kids) family. I worked with my own crew (of one).

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 11:21   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
It is a big baby and an older boat (meaning - it has many 15 years old systems). Unless you know exactly what you are doing, step lightly.

I have worked on a similar (still, a bit smaller) cat and she was to much for a man and woman (no kids) family. I worked with my own crew (of one).

b.
It seems as if almost all of the systems have been replaced in the refit over the past three years, that's one of the reasons it seems so attractive and why I am looking for more info. She is big though, that's for sure!
Old 29-02-2016, 12:13   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
It seems as if almost all of the systems have been replaced in the refit over the past three years, that's one of the reasons it seems so attractive and why I am looking for more info. She is big though, that's for sure!
Green,

Always treat information from potential seller or from their BROKER with utmost caution. This is nothing about not trusting people and everything about seeing where your (and other parties) interest is. If you buy a boat, it will be up to you to check which systems need replacement and which have been replaced. This takes some experience.

You may start with asking the broker which EXACTLY systems have been replaced, and to what extent. Some systems, in some boats, are very difficult to replace (e.g. mast wires, bilge tanks, etc.). Some systems are very expensive to replace (engines, standing rigging, sails, teak decks, etc.).

I can only tell you what I know from my narrow perspective of someone who researches and checks out, then gets boats ready for what you pointed at (world cruising) - and I am not a professional surveyor yet (much as I have due professional training for applying). Very very many boats of this age need up to 100% on top of the purchase price, fewer need 30 to 50% extra. And, when working on projects, even given our joint experience with owners, we still hire our own surveyors for any expensive, large and complex yacht.

Not to take anything from this particular boat, which I have never been on. PLS see my words of caution only as a general bell that may ring at one place along your road to boat ownership (which is an amazing thing and well worth pursuing).

Let us know what she is like when you fly in to have a closer look!

Big hug,
barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:56   #7
35S

Quote:

Thanks,
Paul

Hi Paul.

In my humble opinion I think it is a lot of money for the year model and being a custom might make it difficult to sell later.

If you Google for example second hand Fountaine Pajot Eleuthera you may find a nice 60ft vessel with a reputable shipyard in full swing for back-up and support and a very serious blue water cruiser. Much more recent and possibly better equipped model for far less.

But like I said just my 2c worth. Happy hunting.
35S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:07   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Nice looking, seemingly good value - but resale value? Big to manage? On going maintenance costs shall be substantial - sails, rigging, haul out costs, insurance? antifouling? Mooring costs? If these are not a concern then follow through......good luck.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:16   #9

Not trying to be rude, but I am looking for information on this specific boat. I appreciate the input, but I am not looking for opinions as to why I should not look at this boat or why I should be looking at another boat etc. I am trying to reach people who have solid information on this particular boat.

Thanks,
Paul
Old 01-03-2016, 15:24   #10

Boat: Lagoon TPI

This cat was designed and built for Richard and Leigh Ford. They now run a charter brokerage in Fl. You can google Richleigh Yachts inc.
A crew in the late 90s were Tess and Richard (not the same). They have a B&B "Sandals Guest House" in St Francis Bay, South Africa. I think they did one or two trips Caribbean/NY, but mainly BVI.
old pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 16:01   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by old pirate View Post
This cat was designed and built for Richard and Leigh Ford. They now run a charter brokerage in Fl. You can google Richleigh Yachts inc.
A crew in the late 90s were Tess and Richard (not the same). They have a B&B "Sandals Guest House" in St Francis Bay, South Africa. I think they did one or two trips Caribbean/NY, but mainly BVI.
WOW! That's great thanks old pirate!!!!
Old 08-03-2016, 14:34   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Let's keep to the topic, and avoid the personal attacks. A number of posts have been deleted.