Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2015, 02:14   #16

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Dragged Anchor

I do not think having water inside it will effect it structurally, but I would very diligently inspect everything inside and outside the boat for cracks. Half the plastic boats around get osmosis occasionally and it does not effect them structurally.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 05:13   #17

Boat: Valiant 42

The main concerns would be the rudder attachments in the boat, not the part that is broken off at the bottom. It's hard to see damage inside the boat sometimes. Look at the bulkhead that holds the rudder shaft in place. Look where that bulkhead attaches to the boat. Is it cracked or otherwise damaged. Is any water coming in around the rudder shaft log? Are the rudder bearings loose or any bolts bent or broken?

It should not take more than a couple hours for an experienced yard to inspect the inside of the boat for structural damage. If they find damage then you have the answer. Even if they don't find any damage don't put a lot of pressure on the rudder until the boat can be hauled and inspected thoroughly. Use less sail than usual and trim the sails so not much rudder is needed to maintain course. A lot of weather helm puts more pressure on the rudder shaft and attachment points.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 05:29   #18

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

Doesn't look too bad. Check inside the boat at the base of the tube that the stock comes up through for any major cracking. If none, the structural integrity of the boat (as far as this problem is concerned!) is probably fine. The main concern, as you know, is water ingress. These rudders are made with a stock that has tangs welded onto it. Then they pour foam in around it and glass it. The foam is not closed-cell and will absorb water fairly readily. The danger is that if the water reaches the point where the tangs are welded to the stock it will accelerate corrosion at the weld points, then one day you're sailing along and the tangs break free, so the stock is turning but not the rudder.

If you just want to put it off for a couple of weeks though you should be fine. There are various epoxy-based products that will adhere and cure under water. I like the '5-minute epoxy' stuff, though you might need a couple of tubes for an area like yours. It's very easy to work with, even under water, and you can stick it on with your hands and no other tools necessary.

I've never dropped the rudder on your particular model but if it's like a Beneteau First 375 it should be very easy and can even be done in the water. Just a collar around the top of the stock and a bolt going through it, plus removal of the steering quadrant by undoing 4 bolts and splitting the two halves off.

I just finished completely re-building my own rudder last year. It can be a big project, so don't leave it too long otherwise you'll end up having to strip it right back to nothing and start from scratch.
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 05:30   #19
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Yep that slime is pretty much inline with a week in st martin lagoon! My advice, do not leave st martin with a dodgy rudder, or dodgy anything. Trinidad? That's crazy!! You're in a perfect place to get services and repairs. The rudder can probably be dropped in the water and repaired on deck and refitted in the water if it's anything like my rudder, but even if it's not it needs to be fixed before leaving. Book a haulout for this arvo if you can't pull it in the water and re splash tomorrow. Job done and happy sails with the old man
monte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor