Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2019, 08:34   #46

Boat: Island Packet IP440 - Moondance
Re: Dyneema sleeve to protect the snubber

I’m interested in using a soft shackle like some of you suggest. Does it not slip when the tension relaxes on the snubber, for instance when the boat sails from side to side or when there is no wind? I have hooks on my snubbers, but they are a PITA, so thinking about going to other a rolling hitch. Thanks.
rhpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:32   #47
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhpike View Post
I’m interested in using a soft shackle like some of you suggest. Does it not slip when the tension relaxes on the snubber, for instance when the boat sails from side to side or when there is no wind? I have hooks on my snubbers, but they are a PITA, so thinking about going to other a rolling hitch. Thanks.
The soft shackle goes through a link so can't slip. Works really well.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:02   #48

I think you need to consider some other factors first. 5:1 is way too short. 5:1 might be fine in 2’ or 3’ in calm water with a lightweight boat. The standard is 7:1 in light to moderate conditions and 10:1 in heavier conditions. The depth measurement is from the now sprit to the sea floor. In other words, id your now is 3’ above water and you are in 10’ of water your ratio is based on 13’.

You mentioned acrobatics to put the number on. The problem may be in your technique. I set my anchor then attach the number at the no roller. Then east the rode out until the snubber is in the water. Then I secure the anchor line to a secure place on the most being a cleat or Sampson post.

I did this successfully with two anchors during a hurricane. We anchored in the lee of an island and rode the storm out for 3 days.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:09   #49
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhpike View Post
I’m interested in using a soft shackle like some of you suggest. Does it not slip when the tension relaxes on the snubber, for instance when the boat sails from side to side or when there is no wind?...

If they don't open a flogging jib, they won't come off the chain (as explained, they thread through a link). The various knot do not slip because of slack. Just not a problem.

The only disadvantage is that they can be a little fiddly if tight, but making them a little extra long solves that.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:12   #50

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by chouliha View Post
This maybe beyond the general OP statement but here goes.

We have something like 4500+ nights at anchor over the past 35-40 years. Have tried many different types of setups. Here is what works for us. We have a 7’ piece of heavy dynema that runs from the cleat over the bow roller and then attaches to a piece of 3 strand using a double sheet bend. Attaching the 3 strand to the anchor chain with a camel hitch.

Why use this method?

1. Using the dynema first eliminates all chafe because there is no stretch. We do not use any chafe gear. Same piece of dynema is 6+ years of continuous cruising.
2. all the stretch happens beyond the boat.
3. We have never had any issues with the camel hitch coming undone or slipping even with winds of 60 knots.
4. We have used chain hooks in the past but they either fell off or got so rusty we discarded them. It required a thimble to be backspliced onto the 3 strand. We tried them for maybe 100 nights at anchor so gave them a decent test before deciding we did not like them

This idea was provided by Evan Stargazer.

I am not saying this is your answer but only what works for us.

Good luck with your choice

Chuck
Jacaranda
Mo’orea
I absolutely agree with Chuck's points about not having a snubber stretch where it passes over a roller or other hard point. We previously ran a 1/2 nylon snubber over the spare bow roller. In heavy winds and good solid 2 ft chop at Cape Aghulas the snubber stretched and heated and started to chafe at the roller. I passed it through a plastic water hose for chafe protection. The hose melted quickly and the chafe continued.

I ran a non stretchy line over the bow roller and then secured it to the snubber so that all the stretching occurred off the boat. Problem solved.

BTW, I use a chain hook to secure the snubber to the chain.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:33   #51

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Just to add to the mix....

This setup has yet to be tested in anger but cautiously confident it will work OK no doubt with a few tweaks along the way.

No chafe, the elastic part of the snubber won't touch anything, short length of dyneema thick goes through the bow roller. The nylon will go through a decent pulley where it diverts next to the cockpit.
No need to bring in a load of chain to get to the snubber connection if you want to let more chain out.
No slimy snubber that's been in the water for ages with a few jelly fish tentacles to deal with.

Sorry, but I don't quite see how this will work, the snubber will stretch as wave action loads and unloads the total rode. The short piece of dyneema will move in and out as the snubber stretches and recovers. This will cause chafe on the dyneema, to say nothing of what happens as the knots or joints between chain and dyneema and dyneema and nylon pass over the rollers, back and forth.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:51   #52
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Sorry, but I don't quite see how this will work, the snubber will stretch as wave action loads and unloads the total rode. The short piece of dyneema will move in and out as the snubber stretches and recovers. This will cause chafe on the dyneema, to say nothing of what happens as the knots or joints between chain and dyneema and dyneema and nylon pass over the rollers, back and forth.
Ive tested small diameter d12 max dyneema for weeks on end as short links in mooring warps and springs passing through cleats and rubbing against some steel during a typical very nasty uk winter with a 10t steel boat getting thrown about in a marina. Chafe close to zero. No problems at all in the joins. Hard to imagine how a section of larger diameter would suffer in tbe slightest running over a roller(only the dyneema would touch the roller) . Incredibly tough stuff d12 max.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 12:03   #53

Boat: Island Packet IP440 - Moondance

Thanks. Makes perfect sense. I will try it next time.
rhpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 13:09   #54

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

We have used a victory hook for 3 years full time
Gently caresses the chain, no point loading like a hook
The only time we found it drops off is if its on the bottom or, we don't have enough loose chain loop and that was early days, never happened since.

If big weather is coming in and i am running out the full length of our 20mm nylon snubber, I simply tie some cord through the hook and into a link.

Its seen 80+ knots and sustained 50+ with no issue with high windage, 60 ft and 65 tonne hanging on it.

Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 15:56   #55

Boat: Allied 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
We have used a victory hook for 3 years full time
Gently caresses the chain, no point loading like a hook
The only time we found it drops off is if its on the bottom or, we don't have enough loose chain loop and that was early days, never happened since.

If big weather is coming in and i am running out the full length of our 20mm nylon snubber, I simply tie some cord through the hook and into a link.

Its seen 80+ knots and sustained 50+ with no issue with high windage, 60 ft and 65 tonne hanging on it.

The ones we have tried we could not get off the chain when the chain was under load.

Is your hook easily removed when the chain is tight as when cranking it up and the chain is just before the windlass?

Tags
dyneema, rot