Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2009, 13:42   #1

Electric Windlass for Beneteau 361?

Hi Everyone,
My husband and I just purchased a 2000 Beneteau 361 and are contemplating adding an electric windlass. Do any of you have suggestions? Thanks!
Vonniej425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 14:04   #2

I have an 18000# sloop and use 200' of chain. The windlass is a Maxwell which is a vertical with both chain and rope gypsies. 1200# rating should be enough.

Any serious cruiser needs a windlass and chain. Takes the stress out of anchoring. Use an anchor snubber.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 14:12   #3

A manual windlass would be far easier to install, plus you don't have to worry about battery drain, maintenance, etc. Depending on your particular circumstances and the kind of cruising you plan to do, you might want to try a manual first.... you could always change to an electric later, and sell the manual.

In any event, the best kind of electric windlass is one that can also be used in manual mode.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 15:42   #4

I did the manual to electric upgrade when I went serious about cruising and not paying for moorings every day.

If you anchor often skip the manual and install the electric. It's expensive but you make it back quickly in savings from moorings and dockage. Plus being anchored out is MUCH nicer.

The Maxwell does work as a manual, AND can be used as an electric winch to hoist someone aloft! I suspect others do as well. A manual will still kill your back.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 17:32   #5
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
I opted for the Lewmar V3 for my 33 morgan. 1930lb advertised pull. Manual kit costs extra. Overkill , but we live at anchor most of time. Oversized anchor makes sleep come much easier in a blow. We've encountered times where current holds us broadside to wind and ground tackle really gets a workout.
Steve
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 18:15   #6

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock
Vonnie,
Just checking; you don't have a manual windlass now do you ?
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:42   #7

Vonniej425

try Anchorlift www.anchorlift.com , reliable and reasonably priced.
Dolphin should be OK for your boat; also Shark 15 kg anchor may be of use.
vacendak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:59   #8

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Thumbs up Maxwell

Vonnie--

The foredeck of the 361 was designed to accomodate a vertical windlass that will allow you to manage ground tackle from both bow rollers so long as you have an open gypsy. You may find that your best option for equipment will be had by contacting Beneteau as we've found that parts purchased through the Company are far less costly than the same parts on the secondary market. That said, you may find that the windlasses currently available through Beneteau are not to your liking (I don't know what brand they are at this point). While our yacht is somewhat larger than yours, we found that the Maxwell vertical windlass offered the best combination of value and reliablilty and have been very happy with our selection.

In any case, good luck...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2009, 18:31   #9

Beneteau 361 Lewmar V-2 windlass installation

I am in the process of installing a Lewmar V-2 windlass to handle chain and rope on my 2001 model 361 sailboat. I was having a problem gettting the front cover off, where the windlass would be installed. Beneteau suggested that I use a razor blade knife to cut the sealant, but that did not work. I was able to get it cut by using a thin plastic counter top backsplash material (APC panel # B50-17). I was able to get a corner of the backsplash material under the back of the cover and work it around on both sides, one side at a time. I have also found a route for the 2/0 wire needed to power the windlass. I am still in the process of installing the system and may wait until the end of the sailing season to actually finish it.
Dave Boodey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2009, 21:15   #10

Thanks for your help and guidance!

Hi Everyone,
Thank you so much for your suggestions! We might not get this done until the season is over. We are too anxious to get out there. It helps to get info ahead of time. I'm so glad I found this site and that so many people are willing to share. Thanks again!
Vonniej425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 10:16   #11

Re: Electric Windlass for Beneteau 361?

This is an old thread, so not sure anyone will reply, but it's nice to try to keep things in the same topic/thread.

I just bought a 2000 Beneteau 361 and looking to add the Lewmar V2, as that seems to be the one that will be a direct fit. There are two versions - Gypsy only and Gypsy/Drum. I am not sure which one I really need. I'd appreciate any help in understanding the difference.
dblanken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 10:21   #12

EDIT: Sorry, I see this a zombie thread. I responded to the original poster. I'd go for the drum also. It can be handy some times.
The gypsy is at the bottom, the drum is above that. It can be useful for tie off, or a second rope rode etc. I dont believe it's a ton more $ in the scheme of things...?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 10:21   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

We have a chain and rope drum and the sheets are always catching it. Since we only use chain if I replace it, then gypsy for chain only for us and low profile at that.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 10:26   #14

Thanks, I was thinking that gypsy only because of the low profile but wasn't really sure what the drum was used for. Sounds like it's for rope only, but the gypsy will work for either rope or chain?

Lewmar V2 Vertical Windlass Kit - Gypsy Only
Rope / Chain Gypsy, Power: 12 Volt DC, Watts: 700, Draw: 80 Amps
G4 Chain Size: 5/16", Line: 5/8" 3-Strand or 5/8" 8 Plait
Finish: Stainless Steel, Maximum Pull: 1433 lbs, Boat Length: 20 to 45'
dblanken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 17:14   #15

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 361

The rope drum (capstan) can be used as an electric rope winch. I have a Maxwell RC8-8 with capstan on my 361. When unfurling the headsail, the lazy sheet may catch on it, but I avoid that by pulling the lazy sheet into the cockpit first.

I admittedly have only used the capstan once. On the Maxwell, you can release the clutch for the chainwheel so that you can use the capstan independently.
matt87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau