Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2016, 03:03   #16

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Electric windlass? Yea or nay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
Speaking of weight at the bow.... When I added a Maxwell VWC and 200 feet of chain and a spare anchor all of which was at the bow (most in an anchor locker) I never noticed the bow down... so whatever the weight it did not impact the trim. If that is the case... what was the impact of all this weight at the bow?
That's 100kg of chain, 50lbs+ for the windlass, another 30lbs for extra deck reinforcing & backing plates for things. Then another 20lbs for the #2 roller, plus another 50lbs, for the #2 anchor. On top of 100lbs for the chain & rode for the #2, & of course, 50lbs+ for your primary anchor.

So, total 525lbs+/- & you didn't notice the difference? That's the equivalent of parking a Harley Davidson on your furling drum! Quite literally.
Try taking it all out & going sailing, then add it back in & go out in the same conditions. There's a Huge difference. As in 1/4-1/2kt easily.

And all of that mass, right up in the bow surely contributes to pitching. Which is both unpleasant from a motion standpoint, as well as slow. And it's why racers are so fanatical about keeping weight out of the ends of boats. To include, inventing; first, the reverse transom, & then the open (AKA no) transom. Sans ANY stern under the deck side wings on many designs. Just open shelves at the deck edges to sit on, Zero vertical structure in the "cockpit".

Also, consider this. 25yrs ago, going to G4 chain was considered extreme amongst most cruisers, & that the weight savings wasn't worth it. Now the movement's towards G7, even as suggested by Rocna. So as to get better performance out of your ground tackle package, for less weight up forward.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 03:09   #17

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Definately a good size electric.

It was one of the first things I got rid of when I purchased mine. The manual one was strong enough but way too much effort needed I thought.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 04:27   #18
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

On a 30' boat, if your healthy and strong I wouldn't consider any windlass. If not then an electric windlass is a great addition.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 05:36   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
That's 100kg of chain, 50lbs+ for the windlass, another 30lbs for extra deck reinforcing & backing plates for things. Then another 20lbs for the #2 roller, plus another 50lbs, for the #2 anchor. On top of 100lbs for the chain & rode for the #2, & of course, 50lbs+ for your primary anchor.

So, total 525lbs+/- & you didn't notice the difference? That's the equivalent of parking a Harley Davidson on your furling drum! Quite literally.
Try taking it all out & going sailing, then add it back in & go out in the same conditions. There's a Huge difference. As in 1/4-1/2kt easily.

And all of that mass, right up in the bow surely contributes to pitching. Which is both unpleasant from a motion standpoint, as well as slow. And it's why racers are so fanatical about keeping weight out of the ends of boats. To include, inventing; first, the reverse transom, & then the open (AKA no) transom. Sans ANY stern under the deck side wings on many designs. Just open shelves at the deck edges to sit on, Zero vertical structure in the "cockpit".

Also, consider this. 25yrs ago, going to G4 chain was considered extreme amongst most cruisers, & that the weight savings wasn't worth it. Now the movement's towards G7, even as suggested by Rocna. So as to get better performance out of your ground tackle package, for less weight up forward.
I think that's heavier than what I have... 5/16" chain and two 35# anchors. but I get the point... It's probable less than 250 pounds. I could remove the back up anchor... but not much else. I am not a racer ... and they have no ground tackle... so there's not much I can do practically...

Thank you for the reply!
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 06:01   #20

Boat: Sabre 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
On a 30' boat, if your healthy and strong I wouldn't consider any windlass.

+1, but I don't know you.

I'm young and lifting 100' of 5/16 G4 attached to 45lb ground tackle has not yet been a problem for me. I'm spending the $2k+ elsewhere for the time being, but the windlass remains high on possible upgrades in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:22   #21

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Not much of an option for OP but nobody having a hydraulic windlass or capstan?
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:27   #22
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

ok girl here, OLD one!---- i have a perfectly capable ha ha ha electric windlass(came with boat) which is undersized in my opinion for my heavy fat bottomed boat. so i got a manual one which is also a lil undersized. i been hand lifting 30 KG of bruce and all chain rode for 5+ yrs.
ok getting a lil tired of that.
so i am seeking a heavier than i need one of each. if both in one unit, more the better. but it must be oversized.
done with this hand over hand stuff. except in fishing. then hand over hand is superior.
oh yeah.. electric ALWAYS fails when ye least wish it to fail...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:19   #23

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26
Send a message via Skype™ to Manos1955

Try the electric windlass with a wireless remote control. It will give you a new dimension in your sailing
Manos1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:31   #24

Boat: 1996 49' Krogen Express

I second one of the above comments. My autopilot and my electric windlass are indeed among my best additions for easier cruising and anchoring. Being 70+, and with 120' of chain on a 75# Rocna, I simply move my foot on the deck pedals and smile.
kelbylinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:46   #25

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Why not both? My Lofrans Tigres (horizontal) can be cranked manually or electrically. Belts and suspenders.

Of course, I think that while some failures are inevitable due to design or just exposure (a case for covering up the windlass when not in use, perhaps), others are due to usage patterns. I've seen people on boats draw the WHOLE BOAT to the hook with the windlass. Of course, the better choice is to bring it in vertically and to use the boat itself to break the anchor free when the chain is quite short. You can use the manual to "fine tune" the last few feet.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:50   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminVA View Post
Thanks. I'd go with a vertical model EXCEPT for the configuration of my boat. I have a Nonsuch and to access a below-decks windlass motor I'd have to pull the mast. A horizontal model would be better for me as I can access the motor directly.
Can you access the chain? You will need to.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:54   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Why not both? My Lofrans Tigres (horizontal) can be cranked manually or electrically. Belts and suspenders.

Of course, I think that while some failures are inevitable due to design or just exposure (a case for covering up the windlass when not in use, perhaps), others are due to usage patterns. I've seen people on boats draw the WHOLE BOAT to the hook with the windlass. Of course, the better choice is to bring it in vertically and to use the boat itself to break the anchor free when the chain is quite short. You can use the manual to "fine tune" the last few feet.
Have you actually used it manually? I've not had the Lofrans, but the ones I've had that had the "Manual option" were not really useable, you just had 1:1 ability to make a partial turn , then had to start over... like using an open end wrench you can only turn part circle.
Far easier to use gloves and your arms!
An analogy might be to use an electric drill motor with no power to turn a drill bit by hand...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:01   #28
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingeggs View Post
+1, but I don't know you.

I'm young and lifting 100' of 5/16 G4 attached to 45lb ground tackle has not yet been a problem for me. I'm spending the $2k+ elsewhere for the time being, but the windlass remains high on possible upgrades in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

We have a 35 lb Manson and 50' 5/16" chain on our boat. I offered to buy an electric windlass but my wife refused saying she would rather lift the anchor by hand. I am a lucky man:-)

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:02   #29

Boat: Rafiki 37

I don't nearly the nm under my keel than many here, but I do anchor a lot. Our boat came with a stout Plath bronze manual windlass. I've used it for the past six years with nearly zero problems (I broke the handle once due to metal fatigue).

I'm not spiritually opposed to an electric windlass. They obviously work well, are faster, and are probably easier on the crew. That said I just haven't had any situation I couldn't manage with our manual.

ADD: The speed issue is one people often cite. I guess I'm rarely in that much of a hurry. My morning ritual is to take my second cup of coffee to the foredeck and start cranking away. Haul in to about 2/3:1 while partner finalizes at the helm and get the engine running or sails ready if we're sailing off anchor. Then I finish the haul in with the last few swallows of my coffee.

If your windlass is properly sized it's not hard work. A little repetitive perhaps, but gives you time to enjoy the anchorage one last time.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:03   #30

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Have you actually used it manually? I've not had the Lofrans, but the ones I've had that had the "Manual option" were not really useable, you just had 1:1 ability to make a partial turn , then had to start over... like using an open end wrench you can only turn part circle.
Far easier to use gloves and your arms!
An analogy might be to use an electric drill motor with no power to turn a drill bit by hand...

I have had occasion to use my Lofrans Tigres manually when the deck mounted switch quit. It does work but it is tiring and slow. Each stroke, which is fairly easy, only brings in two links of chain. So with 100' of chain out that is several hundred strokes! It is good to have the ability to use it manually as a back up but much better to have it work.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, wind, windlass