Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2016, 01:53   #61

Re: Electric windlass? Yea or nay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
On a 30' boat, if your healthy and strong I wouldn't consider any windlass. If not then an electric windlass is a great addition.
At that size, I would say it's nice but not needed.

We have a similar size boat and it's not a big deal. You motor up pulling in the slack. Cleat it off when vertical and use the motor to dislodge the anchor and then pull the rest up easily.

Of course, we typically anchor in less than 15' of water. In 100' with all chain, it would be more of an issue.

Much larger and yes, it starts to become necessary.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 04:41   #62

Boat: Rafiki 37

Thanks Jim/Ann and all who shared their experience and wisdom on this. Like I said, I don't have nearly the NM under keel as you folks do. I always listen and try and to learn.

I can say, I've been caught in a couple of 50+ knot lee shore scenarios on Lake Superior. (So far, no hurricane though.) Not fun at all . I've always managed to get off using our trusty manual windlass. Would I have liked to have a hefty electric at those times -- YOU BET YA! But I lived to tell the tale.

Nothing wrong with a stout, reliable electric. Especially one which could be operated manually. So far, we've not had any situations which couldn't be managed with our manual windlass. I can certainly see age and cruising grounds being major factors in this decision.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:03   #63

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Edit: It also seems that a hydraulic windlass operated by an electric pump to move the fluid would require far less electrical power and long heavy gauge cables. Any thoughts?
And a simple hydraulic pump installed on the iron genny you have two ways to run the hydraulics. Makes even more sense for someone having hydraulic thruster(s). Oversizing controls and hoses the only plausible thing left to go wrong is a leak in the system but having a gallon of oil for spare there's "leeway" to get it solved without a hassle. Just IMHO...

BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 06:43   #64
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom Mabru 40 open SF

Most Good electric windlasses could operate manually with a handle, some could drop the chain fast without using the motor... Send us some pictures of your actual setup

QUOTE=JiminVA;2140987]My venerable Simpson-Lawrence HySpeed manual windlass just broke. I may be able to get the broken parts, but am also wondering if I should just use that as an excuse/opportunity to install an electric windlass.

I have a 30', 12,000 pound sailboat with a 33# Bruce anchor and 40' of 3/8" BBB chain plus rope rode. I normally anchor in the Chesapeake in 8' to 20' of water. (Hope to be venturing further afield next year.) Several folks I know have told me that I will realize how great having an electric windlass and all chain (yup, I'd buy new chain too) can be as soon as I upgrade. Part of me likes the KISS of the manual windlass. But I can see several advantages of the electric...including the fact that my wife could raise the anchor if she wanted to do that instead of taking the helm.

I realize everyone's situation is different, but if you switched to an electric windlass were you happy with the change? Any advantages, disadvantages I haven't thought of?[/QUOTE]
170122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:00   #65

Quote: "Imho, one should suit one's windlass's capabilities to the types of sailing and areas one intends to be:

Bingo, Ann!

I, for one, love reading your posts, even if there is no way in Hades that I will ever do a transpac in TrentePieds. It's an old, old truism that you fit out for the waters you are going to be in.

I have no doubt that Insatiable II verges on being what I refer to as a "real ship" ;-) just as I have no doubt that TrentePieds does not. She is a toy, and her trade is in benign waters. My constant comments about "keeping it simple", and about relying on Mr. Armstrong and the fundamental skills of the sailorrman, are motivated by a desire to provide something for the noobs that is realistic and immediately implementable.

The person, be he man or woman, who picks up a three-thousand-buck Catalina 27 needs "stuff" (material and intellectual) that differs from what you use in Insatiable, just because of the difference in displacement, complexity and cost.

But I - I get great pleasure from being told by someone "who has seen the movie" what it takes to be sculling around (safely) where the coconuts grow. So keep up the "horror stories" :-)

Salut

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:49   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenton View Post
If you don't have the physical strength to pull up a 35# anchor you are a danger to yourself and your crew. What use are you when the **** hits the fan. Save the money and get a membership in a gym.

The advantage of a windlass (manual or electric) on the Chesapeake is that it allows me to use an anchor wash down hose to clean the chain before it comes on board. That prevents me and the boat from getting covered in thick mud. That's what the bottom is here. My current approach is to crank the windlass with my left arm and use my right arm to operate to wash down hose. So, as much as I appreciate your concern for my safety and that of my crew, this is not about strength.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
JiminVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 17:17   #67

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post
I know its not the cruisers forum "way" to read all of the OP's question before
scaring the bejesus out of everyone with horror stories of escaping from lee shores during gales on 46 footers with electric windlasses. BUT

The OP has a "small" sailboat with 12 meters of chain and the rest rode.

I'm sure a manual windlass will do just fine for your purpose .

If you want to go for the electric version just remember you may need to upgrade your electrical system as well.

I have a 2 speed manual muir windlass on my 12000lb catamaran and whilst at times I have thought an electric one would be nice I love the simplicity .

Been fine for the last 17 years.

PS I also like to row the tender (no motor)
Yes, I've noticed that some folks don't read the OPs very well... like you, who failed to note that the OP said he hoped to go further afield, and to change to all chain rode. That future development was the situation I was trying to address

So, I was not "scaring the bejesus" out of him, I was answering his question which was relative to anyone that had changed from manual to electric windlasses... which I had done.

The OP has had one bad experience with a manual windlass. Knowing how poorly designed the SL Hyspeed windlass is, I'd hate to see him waste money repairing his.

But, of course, he makes the final decision, and is free to ignore any and all suggestions found on CF.

Jim
Old 12-06-2016, 19:03   #68

But then why would you stray south of Mooloolaba? If you sail in the Tasman Sea, trouble is always around the corner.
pdenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 19:11   #69

Kidding aside, the more you rely on costly fancy gear the more exposed you are. But then I'm from New England where in parts of which self-reliance is the highest virtue.
Old 12-06-2016, 19:45   #70

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
But then why would you stray south of Mooloolaba? If you sail in the Tasman Sea, trouble is always around the corner.
Not sure to whom that comment is aimed, but if it is me, well, imo Tasmania has some of the very best cruising grounds that we have yet encountered. The price of crappy weather at times is ok with us... and we leave when it gets too cold for us troppo types.

Jim
Old 12-06-2016, 20:09   #71

Just joking. Everyone has their druthers. On the sea as elsewhere, people rely on equipment which sometimes doesn't work when needed. Electric winches require large amounts of current, which sometimes isn't there. I spent close to ten years in Oz full time cruiser. Many times had two or three anchors out. How do you handle that situation. I know many a sailor who would be literally lost if their GPS failed and thus begins an infinite regress of backups and the natural fades.
Old 12-06-2016, 20:24   #72

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

You know, guys,

I, too, believe in self reliance and in planning for needs. We have never allowed our battery capacity to be so low we couldn't run the windlass. I could not (certainly) hand over hand our anchoring gear alone, but like we said earlier, that's what long sheets with chain hooks are for. What I don't get is why, in our way, we are not self reliant? It is our planning and execution upon which we rely.

For those of you who may be unaware of the feature, CF allows one to post one's sailing history, on their profile. Ours are there.

Ann
Old 12-06-2016, 21:00   #73

Sorry. You know us Yanks. I honestly didn't mean to dis you. Please accept my apology.
Old 12-06-2016, 21:17   #74

Boat: Rafiki 37

Hey! No one messes with the Cates and their well-grounded and far too humble wisdom (sure you two aren't Canadians?). Ann & Jim are two of the main reasons I hang out here. They've definitely got me questioning my affection for my old manual Plath.

Why go fast, when you can go slow
Old 12-06-2016, 21:27   #75

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Sorry. You know us Yanks. I honestly didn't mean to dis you. Please accept my apology.
No harm, no foul. Don't worry about it.

And Mike, thank you for the kind words. I would be greatly honored, even delighted to be considered an honorary Canadian. A great privilege, indeed for a California girl.

Your Plath may be a whole lot better bit of gear than the [poorly engineered, according to Jim] Simpson Lawrence we had on I-1. Also, without the electric windlass, you will anchor more conservatively simply because you understand your vulnerability, that it will take longer to get the anchor up. Mostly, it doesn't matter. Mostly, one doesn't have to do it in a hurry..... And, when you have it, you do tend to rely on it.

Ann

Tags
electric, wind, windlass