Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2016, 09:41   #1

Boat: PT-11
Extremely Disappointed in Maggi Chain

My boat had a load of Maggi Aqua4 chain (or whatever they called their G4 back then) that was original to its build in 2004. It was superior chain that I changed out in 2015. It was really only showing a bit of rust where the links connected, but I had the opportunity to replace it and wanted to lighten my ground tackle load. I purchased Maggi Aqua7 chain in a size smaller - 5/16”. It is essentially equivalent in strength to 3/8” G4 chain, and it saved me well over 100lbs on the foredeck.

However, after about a year on the boat the chain started showing alarming amounts of rust and corrosion. Now, after a year and a half, I need to replace it ASAP. This is far to soon for this chain to rust away. The galvanizing on the Aqua7 is not the smooth, hard finish I had on the Aqua4. It is lumpier and seemingly softer. In any event, it is all gone and the bare surface of the chain is rusting. I have heard other reports that Maggi Aqua7 galvanizing does not stand up, and now I have first hand experience.

The most concerning part of this whole episode has been the response of the Maggi company to our issues. The premature corrosion issue was quickly acknowledged and a new chain promised… and promised and promised. But never delivered. Despite what I deem to be the best intentions of Maggi’s US supplier, I have to conclude that I have been given the runaround, perhaps in an attempt to wear us down so we let it go and buy some competitor’s chain. If you want a sense of the degree of runaround we have been given, read the correspondence in the attached file, which begins in April 2016 and ends in December 2016 with me basically saying “Bueller, Bueller?”

This is a major chain manufacturer and supplier to the marine industry. I think the boating public needs to know about the quality of the chain they are selling and the customer service that backs it up. I warned them I would write posts such as this and take other steps. This is one way in which the individual customer has some power in this internet age. So why not exercise it? Buy Maggi chain at your risk.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Maggi Chain Correspondence.pdf (67.9 KB, 310 views)
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 10:10   #2

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: Extremely Disappointed in Maggi Chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
My boat had a load of Maggi Aqua4 chain (or whatever they called their G4 back then) that was original to its build in 2004. It was superior chain that I changed out in 2015. It was really only showing a bit of rust where the links connected, but I had the opportunity to replace it and wanted to lighten my ground tackle load. I purchased Maggi Aqua7 chain in a size smaller - 5/16”. It is essentially equivalent in strength to 3/8” G4 chain, and it saved me well over 100lbs on the foredeck.

However, after about a year on the boat the chain started showing alarming amounts of rust and corrosion. Now, after a year and a half, I need to replace it ASAP. This is far to soon for this chain to rust away. The galvanizing on the Aqua7 is not the smooth, hard finish I had on the Aqua4. It is lumpier and seemingly softer. In any event, it is all gone and the bare surface of the chain is rusting. I have heard other reports that Maggi Aqua7 galvanizing does not stand up, and now I have first hand experience.

The most concerning part of this whole episode has been the response of the Maggi company to our issues. The premature corrosion issue was quickly acknowledged and a new chain promised… and promised and promised. But never delivered. Despite what I deem to be the best intentions of Maggi’s US supplier, I have to conclude that I have been given the runaround, perhaps in an attempt to wear us down so we let it go and buy some competitor’s chain. If you want a sense of the degree of runaround we have been given, read the correspondence in the attached file, which begins in April 2016 and ends in December 2016 with me basically saying “Bueller, Bueller?”

This is a major chain manufacturer and supplier to the marine industry. I think the boating public needs to know about the quality of the chain they are selling and the customer service that backs it up. I warned them I would write posts such as this and take other steps. This is one way in which the individual customer has some power in this internet age. So why not exercise it? Buy Maggi chain at your risk.
I really hope it was a bad batch because last year I put Maggi Aqua7 chain on my boat. I will post about it when I go to my boat, some months from now. You got me worried
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 10:19   #3

Higher tensile chain = higher propensity to rusting.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 10:22   #4

Somewhat, yes. But how can you sell chain as anchor chain that will lose its galvanizing within a year?
Old 20-12-2016, 10:37   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Higher tensile chain = higher propensity to rusting.
Yes but any mild steel will rust in very short order if not protected, this was a failure in the protection or it wouldn't have rusted.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 12:23   #6

Boat: Liberty 458

Can you post some pics?

Galvanizing quality can vary greatly. This used to be less of a problem with the good shops whose employees had tons of experience.

These days it's like pulling teeth getting lot and batch details and certificates of conformity.

I blame the retirement of most of the milspecs and milstds.

I'd look to see if your chain has an NSN or is on a federal government purchase list. If it is then you might be able to find test and cert data.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 12:39   #7

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

I just put on 300' of new Aqua4 chain a couple of weeks ago. I hope it lasts longer than your experience.

Is the shorter lifetime due to HT steel, or lax QC at Maggi?
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 12:45   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by accomplice View Post
I just put on 300' of new Aqua4 chain a couple of weeks ago. I hope it lasts longer than your experience.

Is the shorter lifetime due to HT steel, or lax QC at Maggi?
I don't know. Had hoped to figure it out but couldn't get a straight answer. I did have success with old Aqua4 however.
Old 20-12-2016, 12:46   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
Can you post some pics?

Galvanizing quality can vary greatly. This used to be less of a problem with the good shops whose employees had tons of experience.

These days it's like pulling teeth getting lot and batch details and certificates of conformity.

I blame the retirement of most of the milspecs and milstds.

I'd look to see if your chain has an NSN or is on a federal government purchase list. If it is then you might be able to find test and cert data.
There is a pic in my blog. SVNeko.com. I doubt it is used by the US military as it is Italian made but could be wrong.
Old 20-12-2016, 22:36   #10

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

How long galvanizing lasts also is effected by the type of bottom. Rocks, even sand can beat up chain. Especially in tides where you reverse direction twice a day. Polluted harbors, especially ones where the locals don't have sewage treatment is tough on metals in the water. Also with all chain, if you have a stray voltage problem, it can zap galvanizing off in no time. I had that happen.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 09:14   #11

Ironic - from their Marine Catalog
http://www.maggigroup.com/pdf/Nautic.pdf
---------------------------------------------
Assured Reliability

Being a chain manufacturer is only the beginning: what makes us stand out
is our knowledge of the boating industry technological requirements and our
strong passion.

Maggigroup® has strived to improve the performance benchmark and
reliability of anchor chains by manufacturing a newly conceived product thanks to its well proven background and its innovation.

The AQUA range is the outcome of this know-how, designed for customers
looking for performance and reliability above market standards.
crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 10:07   #12

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

One of the rules I remember is that you can regalvanize G4 chain without too much loss of strength, but not G7 chain, because the hot galvanizing process changes the heat treat of the steel.

It could very well be that the orginal G7 galvanizing process is a compromise, design to retain strength rather than maximize corrosion protection.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 11:36   #13

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'

Seconded. As Don states. If regalvanizing cannot be done due to annealing of the heat treated chain, it seems reasonable that the initial galvanizing process would be biased towards minimum temperature and time.
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 12:18   #14

Galvanizing is done at 800+ temp right? Steel annealing requires 1400-1600 degrees IIRC. Not sure any tempering at all will occur at 800.....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 12:20   #15

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Contact your insurance company and see if they will cover a replacement. It's a potential liability and if it got around that they were insuring a bunch of bunch of boats with unsatisfactory chain that is claimed as being satisfactory... that is a problem they can resolve.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote