Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2018, 18:29   #31
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Fabricate spade anchor

I worked on engine coolant formulas that were patented. It took a lot of work to develop and prove the chemistry both in the lab and in long-term vehicle fleet tests. And yet it is super easy for someone to analyze a sample and copy it. Even so, we suffered from knock-offs that infringed to varying degrees, but we did not pursue most of them. The two products are still on the market. So yes, IP matters. There are also frivolous patents.

What struck me funny is "looking for plans" for a specific anchor. Just buy one, measure it, and return it the next day. Who needs plans?

If I were seriously interested in developing a new one I would measure the major ones and then build a family of interchangeable, adjustable parts, and play until I understood the interplay.

I'm guessing I would learn that there is no optimum, so long as the bottom varies. There would also be differing optimums for scope and resetting capability. If I were a welder I might play with it, but interest is not quite enough.
Old 25-08-2018, 20:12   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Good on yer mate!
Like yr design, hope ya don't mind if I copy it in s.s.
cheers
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2018, 20:21   #33
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Thinwater! Have you no mercy?
Who needs to buy one and return it, and generate all that paperwork and wasted cashier time, when all you have to do really is take a protractor and a ruler and squat down next to the anchor for a while?
"Can I help you?"
No thanks, I just need to see if it will fit the locker.
Everybody just as happy, less work for the underpaid guys.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2018, 20:31   #34

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

I'll be getting a couple knocked out soon enough.
Do the maths on a 200lb new gen anchor and you'll understand why
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2018, 22:26   #35
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Thinwater! Have you no mercy?
Who needs to buy one and return it, and generate all that paperwork and wasted cashier time, when all you have to do really is take a protractor and a ruler and squat down next to the anchor for a while?
"Can I help you?"
No thanks, I just need to see if it will fit the locker.
Everybody just as happy, less work for the underpaid guys.

Yes, obviously. I was not fully serious.
Old 25-08-2018, 23:44   #36

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I didn't realize that you had your boat back in the water for testing the anchor, so good onya for persevering.

Jim
My Hemoroid is back again, Hahahaha,

So, Good onya, is actually an insult, To an Australian,
You should leave Aussie slang to the Aussies, You fail badly at it,
Or did you mean it, as it is,

I dont need my boat in the water to test an anchor,
Substrate covered in water makes no difference to substrate not covered in water,
An Anchor will either dig in or it wont,
Water becomes a lubricant, Making the anchor dig in easier,
But you already knew that, Hahahaha
My Anchor digs into Compacted crushed rock, Im more than happy with that,

As for what my anchor is made from, You wouldnt have a clue,
You can always try tho, Googles your friend,

I listed the material in my anchor for the OP, He will know what I am talking about, You, Hahahahaha

I would have made mine from Stainless, But I didnt have any scrap SS laying around the yard thick enough for it,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 00:39   #37

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
My Hemoroid is back again, Hahahaha,

So, Good onya, is actually an insult, To an Australian,
You should leave Aussie slang to the Aussies, You fail badly at it,
Or did you mean it, as it is,

I dont need my boat in the water to test an anchor,
Substrate covered in water makes no difference to substrate not covered in water,
An Anchor will either dig in or it wont,
Water becomes a lubricant, Making the anchor dig in easier,
But you already knew that, Hahahaha
My Anchor digs into Compacted crushed rock, Im more than happy with that,

As for what my anchor is made from, You wouldnt have a clue,
You can always try tho, Googles your friend,

I listed the material in my anchor for the OP, He will know what I am talking about, You, Hahahahaha

I would have made mine from Stainless, But I didnt have any scrap SS laying around the yard thick enough for it,
Gosh Mr B, when you said that your new design anchor "works a treat" I thought you had actually anchored a boat with it, repeatedly and successfully. Guess not. So, I'll retract my insulting good onya... feel better now? And I'll try very hard to not use Australian Slang when corresponding with you in the future.

You may not believe this, but I actually hope that your anchor design works for you. I appreciate folks who design and build things for their boats (or cars or bicycles or airplanes) and applaud when they succeed. So, when you return from your circumnavigation of Oz (something that I have not done) and report that the anchor worked well for you, I will happily congratulate you and be impressed with your skill in design and fabrication.

Now, despite your little digs at my lack of knowledge, I didn't comment on your selection of materials for the anchor before, so I will now: they sound quite reasonable, overkill in fact if the scantlings are normal, and I see no issues there. Seems that you have chosen well. Do I have a clue? Why do you care? Until you just now brought it up, I'd expressed no opinion on either the design or the materials bill.

By the bye, Brian, in American usage, calling someone a "Hemoroid " isn't very nice. Probably falls outside of the local "be nice" rule, but I've a pretty thick skin so will just ignore it.

Jim
Old 26-08-2018, 01:36   #38

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
What struck me funny is "looking for plans" for a specific anchor. Just buy one, measure it, and return it the next day. Who needs plans?
Worked for Manson... or so I am told......
Old 26-08-2018, 01:41   #39

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Gosh Mr B, when you said that your new design anchor "works a treat" I thought you had actually anchored a boat with it, repeatedly and successfully. Guess not. So, I'll retract my insulting good onya... feel better now? And I'll try very hard to not use Australian Slang when corresponding with you in the future.

By the bye, Brian, in American usage, calling someone a "Hemoroid " isn't very nice. Probably falls outside of the local "be nice" rule, but I've a pretty thick skin so will just ignore it.

Jim
Jim... 'Good onya' can go two ways.. depending on the tone of voice....

Hard to do tone of voice in print....

You sent it in a positive way.... it was received in a negative way...

Such is life as some bloke once said....
Old 26-08-2018, 01:47   #40

Boat: Island Packet 40

"Goodonya" is one of those linguistic dichotomies which can be used in both a complimentary and sarcastic way, it's actual meaning depending entirely upon the context in which it is used.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 03:41   #41

Boat: naver 29

Get in touch with or search for threads by bonaparte_eu, he designed his own. Spade style anchor, he's posted a few threads on it both here and other forums
martinworswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 06:08   #42

Boat: Pearson 33-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinworswick View Post
Get in touch with or search for threads by bonaparte_eu, he designed his own. Spade style anchor, he's posted a few threads on it both here and other forums

Link to one of his threads in post 8 of this one. The last post in that thread is a link to a video of a bit of testing, where it appears that his design is superior to the others tested in the same conditions, but I'm no anchor expert. The video did seem to put a hush over the crowd of naysayers, though.
My favorite post of that thread is the Chinese proverb, "The man who says it can't be done, shouldn't interrupt the man who is doing it." Seems like legit advice, but I'll fall for anything.
Fence Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 06:13   #43

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
There is nothing better than saying, I made it myself and it does work,
I do agree with many things...... just not going to build a car.
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 07:04   #44

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Mike, here in the States it would not be any kind of rights violation. Anyone is welcome to download the patent filings for anything, and use them to build one of the same thing for their own personal use. No commercial use--just personal use. (Having a paid employee build one for their bosses personal use, debatable but likely no one will bother about just one of them.)
I don’t mean to belabour this point HS, but this is not how I read your patent law, nor how patent law works in any other common law country that I am aware of. According to my brief research your law clearly states a patent violation occurs once someone makes the patented item without permission of the patent owner. Personal use is irrelevant to the actual legal infringement, although I’m sure in practice it results in few actions.

From Wiki:

Quote:
"In the United States, a valid patent provides its proprietor with the right to exclude others from practicing the invention claimed in that patent. A person who practices that invention without the permission of the patent holder infringes that patent.

More specifically, an infringement occurs where the defendant has made, used, sold, offered to sell, or imported an infringing invention or its equivalent.”
I’m sure in practice there would be few legal actions brought against someone making an item purely for personal use. But the law (and all the legal beagles I could find online) makes it clear that it is not legal.
Old 26-08-2018, 07:10   #45

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
"Goodonya" is one of those linguistic dichotomies which can be used in both a complimentary and sarcastic way, it's actual meaning depending entirely upon the context in which it is used.
Goodonya, Versus, So, Goodonya, Emphasis is on the SO,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, fabric