Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2018, 10:20   #121
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Fabricate spade anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
That’s easy … b/c it wasn’t adequately set & dug-in, with appropriate rode and anchor, for the conditions.

Come here, so I can throw a beer can at you!
Old 31-08-2018, 11:39   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
The roll bar was added for two purposes. One to add weight to the tip, much like the lead in the Spade, just not as effectively. Second to stop the anchor landing upside down.
The roll bar on a Rocna/Mantis actually decreases the percentage of anchor weight on the tip until the tip catches. I think this is what you meant by "not as effectively". Once the tip catches, the roll bar weight is in a good spot for adding to downward force on the tip.
Unlike the Rocna, the Spade has internal lead, placing about 50% weight on the tip as opposed to 33% for the Rocna. One could argue that the Spade is better for some bottom conditions an the Rocna is better for others.

What if a "hybrid" anchor combined the internal lead ballast of the Spade with the roll bar of the Rocna? Perhaps it WOULD make sense then to make the roll bar light weight. If someone files a patent on this, please call it a "Spocna" or maybe a "Cyanadigger". Thanks in advance.
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 12:11   #123

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
The roll bar on a Rocna/Mantis actually decreases the percentage of anchor weight on the tip until the tip catches. I think this is what you meant by "not as effectively". Once the tip catches, the roll bar weight is in a good spot for adding to downward force on the tip.
Unlike the Rocna, the Spade has internal lead, placing about 50% weight on the tip as opposed to 33% for the Rocna. One could argue that the Spade is better for some bottom conditions an the Rocna is better for others.

What if a "hybrid" anchor combined the internal lead ballast of the Spade with the roll bar of the Rocna? Perhaps it WOULD make sense then to make the roll bar light weight. If someone files a patent on this, please call it a "Spocna" or maybe a "Cyanadigger". Thanks in advance.
Being a long time Spade anchor user I can't see any benefit by adding a roll bar. The Spade never lands wrong or tries to flip. Adding a roll bar would just make it more awkward to fit.
I'd go with the Spocna branding for marketing. Has a nice ring. Make sure you trademark it so people can argue if the patent and copyright rules apply.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 13:02   #124

Quote:
Being a long time Spade anchor user I can't see any benefit by adding a roll bar. The Spade never lands wrong or tries to flip. Adding a roll bar would just make it more awkward to fit.
I'd go with the Spocna branding for marketing. Has a nice ring. Make sure you trademark it so people can argue if the patent and copyright rules apply.
Good call.
Done. It's mine now:
Spocna™

I would think that using platinum in this new Spocna™ would be better that lead, as it has TWICE the mass density. I calculate that i could get closer to 70% of the weight in the tip instead of 50%, which would be solid platinum of course. Now then, where to find cheap platinum for this 3rd generation anchor...
Old 31-08-2018, 13:20   #125

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Good call.
Done. It's mine now:
Spocna™

I would think that using platinum in this new Spocna™ would be better that lead, as it has TWICE the mass density. I calculate that i could get closer to 70% of the weight in the tip instead of 50%, which would be solid platinum of course. Now then, where to find cheap platinum for this 3rd generation anchor...

Have you tried EBay?
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 13:22   #126

Boat: Tayana 47

I’d just buy a real SPADE and be done with it. They have a lifetime warranty and I can tell you from personal experience they actually stand behind their product 100%! I’m an engineer and love to tinker too so I can understand that you feel you can duplicate and possibly even improve on their design, but it might not be that simple. They tested and refined its holding power and the way it balances and lands on the bottom and how it resets when the wind reverses direction and many other characteristics of a good anchor. When you change anything about an anchor that can effect other facets of it. No doubt you can design and build a very nice anchor but I’m sure this isn’t your first rodeo so you know that you can almost always think of a way to improve on your first attempt at anything. So by the time you buy the materials, spend time considering all issues and the time designing and constructing the anchor, then the galvanizing, you’re going to have significant time invested. But if your boat is like mine there’s always a long list in the back of my mind about improvements or fixes I want to get to so that time could probably be better spent addressing other issues on your boat, and take advantage of all the small refinements SPADE has included, along with their lifetime warranty, by buying the real thing. Good luck!
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 13:49   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
Have you tried EBay?
Yeah, platinum is about $30K per Kg. It will cost about $750,000 I think.
Prolly just get another Spade after all....
Old 31-08-2018, 14:31   #128

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Yeah, platinum is about $30K per Kg. It will cost about $750,000 I think.
Prolly just get another Spade after all....
Depleted uranium is the way to go. 2/3 more dense than lead and available at $5 per pound - some restrictions apply.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 15:03   #129

Quote:
Depleted uranium is the way to go. 2/3 more dense than lead and available at $5 per pound - some restrictions apply.
Good idea! But- Ever since the end of the Silk Road, it has become difficult to get that stuff.
Old 31-08-2018, 15:34   #130
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Go with tungsten. Readily available, 50% denser than lead. Used for counterweights in elevator systems. Not a bad compromise between "denser" and "damn expensive".
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:21   #131

Love the anchor
Maybe be that's a new life ne for your business?
369thegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:37   #132

Fabricate spade anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Go with tungsten. Readily available, 50% denser than lead. Used for counterweights in elevator systems. Not a bad compromise between "denser" and "damn expensive".
Nice idea. Tungsten is really tough to machine but you could make a tip-of-the-spear piece for about $100/lb. as W helicopter parts cost about that much. Instead of (in addition too?) the Spade’s lead ballast chamber, you could bolt on a tungsten cutting edge. For my old $3000 Spade, I might pay $1000 for such a plate if the dense 10 pounds on the top really made a difference?
Old 02-09-2018, 13:28   #133

The point is, anchors are expensive and anyone fiddling around with various designs to make a better safer less expensive version needs support .
I reckon there is always something better.
369thegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 14:25   #134
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Forget what anchors cost. What's it gonna cost to actually hire out a boat and do objective side-by-side testing of any new anchor versus a couple of existing designs on four bottom types?

Ahuh.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 14:30   #135

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
I’d just buy a real SPADE and be done with it. !
$6000 vs under $500 for a bugel/supreme bolt together hybrid of same size.
I'd rather have a spare anchor or two and a few thousand litres of diesel thanks
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, fabric