Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2011, 18:29   #16

Boat: Endeavour 42
I used Sailrite's Boat Blanket material. They look nice and are wearing very well.
Trox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 00:32   #17

Re: Fender Covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman View Post
In the UK one can buy a woven material by the metre - pulls over like a sausage skin and sew or cable tie ends inward. Must have similar stuff your side.
God luck
JOHN
You're right. But here knitted material by yard is available too... Have a look for "Roll-Neck" Fender Cover. I'm using them and it's acutally a great Idea.
Toli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 04:05   #18

Or, if you can find an old salt to teach you, weave magic fender covers like these pictured below...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	April01 050.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	406.5 KB
ID:	26097   Click image for larger version

Name:	April01 051.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	406.0 KB
ID:	26098  

Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 14:23   #19

Boat: 50' sloop

Good afternoon,

One of my older fenders ( 26" x 10" - new cost $88+ USD ) has begun to leave marks on the gelcoat. These marks that are difficult to remove. Otherwise, the fender holds air properly and prefer to extend it's life with a cover.

Have some scrap sumbrella and thought I make a fender cover since this fabric is UV resistant and durable. I've just washed and dried a sample piece (12"x12") from the dryer to soften. As Sarafina mentioned, washing helps. It's softened considerably with one wash.

Elf: the re-purposed "sweat pants" idea is brilliant. The simplicity, expense (Goodwill for a practice pair) and the softer fabric is appealing while replacing will be a breeze.

Fender covers help keep the boat looking orderly since fender failure is random and identical replacements aren't always available.

SM
Sailing Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 14:42   #20

Boat: Islander Freeport 36

My wife ordered fender covers from CapeHatterasMarine.com: Cape Hatteras Marine. Boat Mats, Fender Covers, Boarding Mats, Custom Embroidered Mats, Soft-Sided Coolers , and the material looks as good as the day we got them. Granted they are kind of fancy, but they work really good. I don't know what the material is, but they might tell you if you ask.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 14:59   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Here's a look at our 38 year old original gel coat. Maybe some are better, but I'm doing what I can.....

My thought is to keep a clean uncovered fender. The cloth cover can be good at first application, but once it collects the grime and grit pollution coating it becomes an abrasive. I do use Elf's plan with covers made from sweat pants for some older fenders, but if I'm leaving a fender on my freeboard for days at a time. it's clean and uncovered.
Old 19-04-2011, 16:10   #22
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I agree accumulated grime particles and sand embedded in the fender covers, can do far more damage than the plastic fenders themselves. That is why I got rid of the ones that came with the boat

However, if you did want to salvage a bunch of old faded and stained fenders, I wonder if you made up some tight covers using diving suit neoprene (skin out)…..if that might work?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fender