Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2019, 14:36   #1

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan
Finding anchor locations

Do anchor points show on charts? I was using google to see where a boat could be anchored around Vancouver and it only shows two spots, both need to be registered, and both have limitations on time.

Are there areas outside of harbors where a boat can anchor for a few days or weeks?

When you arrive at a new location, how do you determine where you are allowed to anchor?

I realize this is a newby question, I have never looked at a chart, so go easy on me.
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 14:48   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Finding anchor locations

Not all small boat anchorages are marked on charts.. and some that are have been turned into mooring fields..
If I decide I want to anchor a while as I'm travelling along I check the chart for likely bits of coastline and depths, obstructions, bottom etc and if all looks good and is sheltered in the prevailing weather I head in and drop the hook.
If no one comes out to chase me away in a few hours I know I'm good to anchor there..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 14:59   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Finding anchor locations

Active Capt. Is real good for showing accepted anchorages and reviews as to whether there is surge, good holding etc.
I’ll often just find a nice looking spot when we are going down the ICW etc . and just anchor.
I know of no requirement that says you have to use only charted anchorages, however most do, they will jam up around the anchor symbol, where there is a whole mile of good anchorage.

But I’m only talking overnight or maybe two days, stay a long time and you may incur some local LEO’s attention, depending on where you are.
I tend to anchor where there is nothing, no houses etc.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 17:47   #4

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)
Re: Finding anchor locations

Another option is to check: https://www.zuluwaterways.com/
Although not sure how well anchor locations are entered for your area.
Add-it later: just checked and they are quite a few.
Old 02-02-2019, 18:16   #5

Boat: Rafiki 37

Or Waterway Guide (for the east coast and GL of North America … not much yet on the west).

In Canada you are generally allowed to anchor anywhere as long as you are not obstructing a channel or hindering navigation of others. Obviously you should select an area with adequate protection from expected winds and seas. And while it is generally not illegal to anchor close to land structures, it’s bad form to hang too close if it can be avoided.

There are some local restrictions in more popular, typically urban areas. Some municipalities have bylaws restricting or managing urban anchorages. But as a general rule in Canada, anchoring does not require permission.
Old 02-02-2019, 18:19   #6

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

+1 for Zulu waterways
Old 03-02-2019, 09:48   #7

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

Active Captain is a good source. One of the best sources on Inside Passage anchorages is the Douglass "Exploring" series of cruising guides, like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Exploring-Sou...C7F78XT2K4FFW8

Study the charts together with Douglass - that's how we got educated.
NewMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:07   #8

I have always assumed you can anchor unless the chart says "no anchoring".

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:19   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I have always assumed you can anchor unless the chart says "no anchoring".
Certainly (mostly) true in Canada, and I believe the USA. Can’t speak for other parts of the world.

I was going to add that when I’m travelling in new areas I first consult the charts to identify what look like good anchorages. Protection from wind and seas, appropriate depths, topography, and urban development all factor into identifying possible spots.

If I have secondary sources, like guides or access to electronic tools like Active Captain or Waterway Guide (I’ve yet to use Zulu) I then look to see what others have said. It’s comforting to get confirmation that others have tried a spot. But be careful, especially of crowd-sourced material like AC. Its quality, especially in lightly travelled areas, can vary considerably.

Of course, not all locations will pan out. Sometimes I’v found what looks like the perfect spot on the chart, but when I get there I just can’t make it work. I try to suss out a few options when travelling into unknown areas.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:48   #10

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
+1 for Zulu waterways
Seems very resource hungry and takes a while to load on a fairly fast 4g mobile connection.
And if you are out of mobile range????

Would rather see all those marks fed onto an opencpn repository so at least then it could be use offline on a actual charting system.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 20:40   #11

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

Get a copy of Sailing Directions for the boat. It describes anchorages in each area along the coast. So do various cruising guides - Waggoner and Dreamspeaker are two of the more popular for the BC coast. You're right about Vancouver itself. Some try the freighter anchorage off Kitsilano but its wide open to the W and NW. False Creek is it and I dont fit under the Cambie St bridge to reach the inner basin. You need to learn to read a chart for your own safety - dont rely on Google. There are chart books available for the southern Gulf Islands and Desolation Sound/Jervis Inlet and they include the relevant Sailing Directions inc anchorage descriptions/limitations for each chart area.
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 21:29   #12

Bugsy, If you are asking specially about off Vancouver, the city, the desodave is right. Waggoners & Dreamspeaker are superb. There are also websites, like Salish Sea, that discuss local material and interests. I doubt much is on AC (dying a slow death under Garmin mis-management) or zulu (new, maybe not yet). The interactive group sourced info is mainly on the east coast of the US, perhaps of Canada, but my experience is not so much on the west coast of either country (I lived in SF for many years, contributed some, but not much was there, and the referenced guides here in BC are far superior). Fair winds.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 22:00   #13

Boat: Macgregor 26S

I was literally looking into this just yesterday and while I can’t help you with specific locations I can tell you that there apparently is a permit you need anywhere on False Creek including English Bay (Kitsilano) which allows you to anchor any 14 of 30 days. Apparently this was done to move liveaboards along. You can imagine the rich homeowners anywhere along False Creek would happily have nothing but gazillion dollar yachts out their windows or nothing at all.

I also learned anchoring off Kitsilano Beach is a terrible idea. Bad exposure as mentioned above and possibly poor holding. Lots of boats meet the shore there apparently.
MacboyCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 22:18   #14

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

I look for and passage plan with the marked anchorages (the anchor signs) on charts so I know where as a last resort I can plan on anchoring or sheltering from weather, but then if/when something looks nice in terms of protection or just aesthetically, and I see a good bottom, I head on in.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 23:53   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
I look for and passage plan with the marked anchorages (the anchor signs) on charts so I know where as a last resort I can plan on anchoring or sheltering from weather, but then if/when something looks nice in terms of protection or just aesthetically, and I see a good bottom, I head on in.
On the Canadian charts, which I’m most familiar with, the marked anchorages are mostly for larger ships. Recreational vessels (i.e. much smaller) can sometimes use them safely, but often these are not the best options.

I use basic charts to find anchorages in new areas. It’s great to get confirmation from others sources, like cruising guides or online sources, but decent charts are usually sufficient.

Tags
anchor