Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2016, 05:48   #46

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Re: First Nights at Anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I must have phrased it wrong with two people thinking it was nit picky. It was meant to be positive. If he can anchor on the lake anchoring on the "ocean" should not be a problem. My error, sorry.
Thanks! No worries. I'm on my last days as work, seeking taps in on my phone. I was not taking the time to be specific.

Maybe you are right about anchoring. We are still alive, boat intact, even though we get shifting gusts of wind that make tthe boat heel both ways in 15 mintues.....
Old 22-10-2016, 06:18   #47

Boat: Grand Soleil 52

To be the first time you went out to anchor, and with that weather, I think you did a lot of things right! Good luck with the next trip
Old 22-10-2016, 08:54   #48

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundtackle View Post
Well be my guest Don, let me hold the door for you. You can have the very first post bragging rights, make it a goody.
ce
Oh thanks! Just the thread I want to be the first poster on! Now let's see, stupid based on what actually ended up happening or what almost/could have happened ?... I'll have to think about that one...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 09:03   #49

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
There must be a thread somewhere, but if not we really need one titled "the stupidest things I've ever done...." I have a few too!
If people were honest, it might be one long thread. I could add a bunch.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 18:57   #50

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Kelkara; thanks for your story. I had sleepless nites like yours and I was on a MOORING! Woke up multiple times each nite...once thought the mooring chain had parted...once thought the mooring line had worked free from both bow cleats...finally just stayed up and read until dawn...good stuff...
dave
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 21:40   #51

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Wow, thanks everyone ... glad to know I'm not alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Nice story. Where is your harbor and what anchorages?
First night was at Russell Island at the south end of Saltspring. Then I planned on sitting out the storm in Montague Harbour which I hoped would be the most sheltered place around - it was still really windy, but of course there were absolutely no waves ... and had I continued to drag, there were bail out options, like the National Parks mooring buoys, or the fuel dock at the marina - but I was glad not to have to attempt one of these manoeuvers during the storm.

After the storm I then stopped for the night in North Cove on Thetis Island, which was so sheltered from the SE wind that it was like a mill-pond. Then the last day was upwind back to Cowichan Bay, I turned on the motor just before Maple bay as it was getting dark. Running Samson Narrows in the dark at full ebb was interesting ... I could still see the shorelines so I knew I had plenty of space but I couldn't see the eddies, and I caught one unaware and the boat did a complete pirouette in mid channel!

My depth sounder is calibrated and my chain is all measured out - I'm ready to go again ...

I've got this thing that is a bit like a big bungy cord that I was using as a snubber - but I guess I didn't leave enough slack in the chain - or maybe you guys will tell me that this thing is a waste of time and I need x-ft of nylon rode to make a good snubber.

thanks again for all your comments ... and I've still got a lot of reading to get through in the anchor-photos thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chain.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	133772   Click image for larger version

Name:	snubber.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	133773  

Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 01:11   #52

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Kelkara, about a snubber line: we used to use nylon 3 strand; now, we use nylon (for real) double braid. It will take you a while to work out exactly what will work best for you. Since you have little chain, your nylon rode back of it will be providing lots of stretch. You might think about going to 8 plait. It has a lovely "hand" and flakes down very easily. Downside is that it snags easily on protrusive objects. There are instructions online for splicing it. Truly lovely line.

Ann
Old 25-10-2016, 08:58   #53

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Since you have little chain, your nylon rode back of it will be providing lots of stretch.
Thanks Ann, but I'm hoping to find a few anchorages not so deep that my 210ft of chain would be considered little.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 13:53   #54

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
Thanks Ann, but I'm hoping to find a few anchorages not so deep that my 210ft of chain would be considered little.
Kelkara, Sorry, I thought you had a boatlength of chain, only, clearly, I was mistaken. My apologies, sir. You will be needing a snubber. I've never seen one like that, but proof of the pudding is in the eating, and apparently it worked well for you. If it ain't broke, etc....

Ann

Tags
anchor