Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2019, 11:30   #16
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Florida Private Moorings

In case someone thinks otherwise, I haven’t seen a real answer posted yet.

And I doubt that local towns control placement of a mooring in Florida or they would be able to control anchoring (they can’t). Yes there are resisting to both and mooring as noted. But that post 15 copy/palate talks about “permitted”, so the question still who issues these permits?
Old 29-03-2019, 12:14   #17
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

If it is not explicitly banned, the law actually says "not permitted,

then it is legal.

Obviously something being permitted has **nothing** to do with anyone requiring any permit, nor permission.

In practice you just do it. If someone ever shows up claiming to know more than you do, deal with it at the time.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 12:27   #18
CLOD

that's just assuming stuff and looking for an issue
Old 29-03-2019, 12:29   #19

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

My data on this is very dated but it might help point you in the right general direction. I worked for the Florida Department of Natural Resources back in the 80s and a number of their functions were split between the Florida Wildlife Commission (FWC) and the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) when the agency was dissolved. At the time you either had to have riparian rights or own the bottom to put down a private mooring. You had to get permission from adjacent land owners with riparian rights, any which could veto your request. You then had to get a permit from DNR if in Salt Water or from The Florida Game and Fresh water fish commission if in fresh water. If I remember correctly if it was in navigable waters you also had to get a permit for the US Army Corp of Engineers. You also had to get a permit from the Department of Environmental Regulation. I suspect that all these functions are spread out between the FWC and Department of Environmental Protection. If you don't have Riparian rights or own the bottom by having some sort of ancient historical ownership before Florida became a state you had virtually no chance of putting down a legal private mooring in Florida. Even with Riparian rights the ability of neighbors to veto meant that you had very little chance of getting a private mooring permit. As evidenced by the lack of private moorings in Fl I suspect that not much has changed, but if you wish to pursue it I would start with the FWC and DEP.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 12:39   #20
CLOD

Based on the boats here around me that are on moorings, the bar has to be very low. So I doubt it involves landowner "rights". I found info on the FWC site that talked about "mooring" but what they were really talking about were docks.

Since so far it doesn't appear that you need to a permit to drop a mooring as long as it meets the very few "not allowed" items. I'm pretty surprised there aren't more boats on moorings in Florida.
Old 29-03-2019, 12:51   #21
cruiser

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...fl-132062.html

http://tulasendlesssummer.com/florida-anchoring-laws/

I see many references to, other than these exceptions, local governments are forbidden from regulating anchoring.

Just use a couple anchors together, keep it looking nice, use it regularly, get along with others.
Old 29-03-2019, 12:58   #22
CLOD

a link to an old CF thread that doesn't answer the question is unless

only a link to a valid government type of site with the permit process is acceptable

everything else is just rumor
Old 29-03-2019, 13:11   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Based on the boats here around me that are on moorings, the bar has to be very low.
Sounds like you are making the assumption that all those moorings you see are legal/permitted/whatever. I doubt that they are. More likely is that -- as others have discussed already -- these people decided to drop a mooring and "ask forgiveness rather than permission." If the day ever comes that they get questioned about it, they will probably find out that their moorings are not legal.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 14:18   #24
cruiser

And the worst that happens is they have to haul the anchors / engine block / whatever up and maybe move it over around to the next cove past the town line.

If there is a fine, likely less than what an official mooring would have cost over the years.

Flip side of the nanny state, spending all kinds of time and energy trying to track down someone to give permission for something they could just go ahead and do.
Old 29-03-2019, 16:54   #25
CLOD

You know, I’m not really interested in the normal Internet “stuff”, just a real answer that can be verified.
Old 29-03-2019, 16:55   #26

Boat: Voyage 430

Quote:
You know, I’m not really interested in the normal Internet “stuff”, just a real answer that can be verified.
Why do you suppose the US has so many lawyers?
ThereAndBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 17:10   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:

Then how about researching it your self and posting your findings?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 17:47   #28
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Then how about researching it your self and posting your findings?
I am and this is part of it.
Thanks for your help!
Old 01-04-2019, 15:09   #29

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
I'm not trying to get one and there are no "local harbormasters" in Florida.

The port authority is the Harbormaster here in STA. They are pretty much the highest authority that you could contact.

http://www.staugustineport.com
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 15:47   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I researched this in depth a few years ago wondering about setting a mooring in the St John's River and came up similar answers to that posted by Capt Bill with some differences. Basically could not get any answers from state or local authorities but a definite response from the Corp of Engineers that yes they would have to permit any permanent mooring.

There were some details to who, why and how someone would qualify for the permit which I don't recall at the moment. However after all the research my conclusion was don't ask, don't tell, set one where you don't block anyone or attract attention and no one would care, at least in the river. Dropping one in front of Mar a Lago might get more of a response.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, mooring