Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2021, 17:34   #1

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse
Fortress Anchor Actual Weights

This isn't a complaint or criticism, just an interesting observation and maybe a conversation. I have a FX-37 that came with my boat and an FX-85 that I just picked up for a decent deal. Both are the newer Red lettering models. I know that prior to this there were models with Black and Blue lettering. I don't know what changes were made, but I noticed that both of my anchors weighed in around 14% higher than the weights listed by Fortress. The FX-37 which is supposed to weight 21lbs came in at 24lbs, and the FX-85 is supposed to be 47lbs and weighed in at 53.5lbs. Has anyone else noticed this? I wonder if they made changes to various dimensions that tweaked the weight up a bit and never changed their stat chart.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 18:19   #2

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'
Re: Fortress Anchor Actual Weights

I just weighed a "red letter" FX-16 with mud palms installed. Claimed weight is 10 pounds. My scale measured it at 10.63 pounds.

I am happy to get a bit more for my money than less.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 18:36   #3

Thanks Steve. It would make sense that if they made an improvement between the black/blue model and the red model that increased a dimension somewhere, that it would show itself more in the larger sizes. Or perhaps the change was only made to the larger sizes. I was somewhat hopeful that my bathroom scale is just a few pounds high, but I weighed the FX-37 with a fish scale that I used to weigh my mountain bikes with (in a much thinner past life), and it came out pretty much at 24lbs on that as well.

I'm guessing that they beefed some part of the design up a bit, which I am certainly not complaining about.
Old 05-01-2021, 18:53   #4

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Just a guess.... Perhaps the published weights are purposely conservative so as to keep people with inaccurate scales from feeling like they have been cheated.
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 19:00   #5

Yeah, perhaps. It's interesting, especially with the data from your anchors, where a few brands real weights come in quite a bit under, a few come spot on, and then a rare few are actually over. It does seem like a product that wouldn't be hard to be pretty spot on with though.
Old 06-01-2021, 01:46   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Interesting.
Mud palms, shackles, etc?

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, fortress