Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2020, 12:04   #1

Free Stuff on my Anchor

Free stuff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CFCC410D-C885-4F9D-80A8-E967B4B1F6CB.jpeg
Views:	156
Size:	388.9 KB
ID:	221027  
Tar34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 16:24   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Free Stuff on my Anchor

Funny, they don't hold very well like that, do they?!

Lots of evidence of previous activity around anchorages that have been in use for hundreds of years. Most of that line looks soft. In Rozelle Bay in Sydney, Oz, we picked up some old rusting steel cable. Kind of hard to know what to do with it. Wish we had taken it to the Waterways (at the time) office.

Ann
Old 10-08-2020, 16:58   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Well, over the years we've picked up a lot of different things, including a stainless kitchen sink and drainboard... household style, not yottie. Mostly just a nuisance, but just a few weeks ago we scored a ~50 foot length of nice new bright blue 8 mm double braid with a shiny s/s snap shackle on one end. Looked like a spinnaker sheet from a smallish yacht. We were anchored around 100 m from the local YC's starting line, and boats commonly reach back and forth in the area prior to starting, and I suspect it went overboard during such a maneuver. Asked around, posted a notice on the bulletin board but no claims, so now it is part of a handy billy on board.

But mostly it has been smelly, nasty junk...

Jim
Old 10-08-2020, 18:27   #4

Boat: Jarkan King 40 12m

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Funny, they don't hold very well like that, do they?!

Lots of evidence of previous activity around anchorages that have been in use for hundreds of years. Most of that line looks soft. In Rozelle Bay in Sydney, Oz, we picked up some old rusting steel cable. Kind of hard to know what to do with it. Wish we had taken it to the Waterways (at the time) office.

Ann
Hey Anne. Last time I was in Rozelle Bay (Western end) I got a supermarket trolley in reasonable condition; the time before one of those hire style pushbikes; but it was in very poor condition!!!!!!!!
Bruce K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 18:44   #5

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

The other way around. A friend picked this one up from their deck last week when the other boat broke off their mooring. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6120.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	221041
Apparently the chain could be broken free by hand.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 19:26   #6

[QUOTE=JPA Cate;3205643]Funny, they don't hold very well like that, do they?!

Anne
Scary thing is I reset my anchor about a year previous, “temporary mooring”. I visit boat almost daily. The area has a 6’ tide and alternating 1kt current. Depth is 18’ and I run 100’ chain 6’ nylon snub. There were times I thought I detected almost imperceptible drift but GPS position on chart showed relatively static position within the margin of accuracy. I would periodically test the anchor by powering back on it and she never budged an inch. I assumed she was well dug in to the mud bottom. The photo was taken three days before a pending tropical storm/hurricane when I decided to check my chain and reset anchor and boat further away from others in the anchorage. Looks like my static position was less than I observed. This CQR has held up in several gales but always with more than a little distrust.
Tar34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 20:21   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfelsent View Post
The other way around. A friend picked this one up from their deck last week when the other boat broke off their mooring. Attachment 221041
Apparently the chain could be broken free by hand.
Didn't do the stanchion and lifeline much good, did it!?

One of the things we questioned, once, was a low bucks cruiser who bought cast off chain from a Mexican fisherman. He cut a foot off it, where the worst looking links were. The next weekend, in about 20 kn. the ferro boat dragged ashore, damaged the boat (the bouncing on the hard sand mushed part of the stern quarter), and I don't know what happened to them after that. Bunch of cruisers helped them for a while. Unfortunately, the kind who think the help is owed them and take advantage, and insensitive to local custom.

Ann
Old 10-08-2020, 20:50   #8

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Free Stuff on my Anchor

No photo but I once caught about a 40 foot tree. Not a stump or log but an entire tree. Branches and all. It three of us to get it up off the bottom and unhooked.

Tags
anchor