Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2020, 10:00   #151
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Re: General consensus on Ultra Anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
I'll do it too. I have (so far) tested Rocna, Manson Supreme, Spade, Excel, Sarca, Fortress, Bruce, Delta, CQR, and other anchors. Eventually, I hope to cover all legacy and new, top rated anchors.

Steve
Perfect. Your boat is in the USA, isn't she?
Old 01-03-2020, 10:02   #152

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra Marine West View Post
Perfect. Your boat is in the USA, isn't she?
Port Townsend, Washington State.

My boat is currently on the hard. Boat will launch this Summer.

Most of my testing has been focused on 20kg/45lb anchors.

Steve
Old 01-03-2020, 10:07   #153
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Port Townsend, Washington State.

My boat is currently on the hard. Boat will launch this Summer.

Most of my testing has been focused on 20kg/45lb anchors.

Steve
Great. That works just fine. We have the UA21/46 that we can send to you whenever you want.

My email is erkutay@ultramarinewest.com Send me an email whenever you are ready.

Please share the picture of the ULTRA here once you got it then keep on sharing your thoughts freely here once you find a chance to make a test with the Ultra.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:13   #154

Boat: Tartan 40

Now this thread got interesting!!
Old 01-03-2020, 10:25   #155

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Great. That works just fine. We have the UA21/46 that we can send to you whenever you want.

My email is erkutay@ultramarinewest.com Send me an email whenever you are ready.

Please share the picture of the ULTRA here once you got it then keep on sharing your thoughts freely here once you find a chance to make a test with the Ultra.
No problem. Photo and initial impression. I'll then give your anchor the same test that the other anchors received and and post the video to my "Videos of Anchors Setting" thread (and YouTube, of course).

Steve
Old 01-03-2020, 10:26   #156
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Hi all,

I don’t want to be limited to the Dockhead and Panope.

They sound like well experienced with the new generation anchors, and their thoughts after tests will be so helpful for all of us, but if there is anyone else here with a new generation anchor who wants to make his own tests, this deal is still on.

More boat owners doing the same tests in the USA will erase all other possible questions. There is no limit here (the only limitation is that you have to be in the USA) whoever is interested in taking that test deal, please announce here that you will do it and get in touch with me from erkutay@ultramarinewest.com

Once again,

Anyone else who has a new generation anchor such as Rocna, Vulcan, Spade, Manson Supreme, Mantus Anchors, Excel, etc. somewhere in the USA.

-We will send the same size ULTRA by paying the transport cost.
-We will not Invoice for 12 months.
-In those 12 months, you will test the ULTRA against the anchor you have in any way you want and share your thoughts freely in that forum.
-After 12 months, we will take the ULTRA back again by paying the transport costs, or we will give you a 25% discount on the ULTRA you had so that we will let you purchase the ULTRA as Pre-Owned by being its original owner.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:30   #157
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
No problem. Photo and initial impression. I'll then give your anchor the same test that the other anchors received and and post the video to my "Videos of Anchors Setting" thread (and YouTube, of course).

Steve
Sounds great so we have a deal and we are doing it whenever you are ready.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:10   #158

If you had an aluminum model, I’d be in!
Old 01-03-2020, 11:18   #159

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Let’s talk about the high range of long-range cruisers—Hallberg Rassy made the ULTRA standard like Fleming and many others for all their boats, too.

Please see the below picture.
Bad for HR to limit anchor selection the customers can make by that design configuration.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:21   #160
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
If you had an aluminum model, I’d be in!
ULTRA only comes in SS but you can test a SS anchor against your aluminum model.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:25   #161
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
Bad for HR to limit anchor selection the customers can make by that design configuration.
Good for HR if they already put the best possible option for their design configuration so their customers wouldn’t worry about the anchor selection at all.

Here you still have a chance to test the ULTRA against the anchor you have and if you find the anchor you have better than the ULTRA, you can then reach out the HR with your test results and tell them they are doing wrong by making the ULTRA standard for their boats.

Why don’t you use it?
Old 01-03-2020, 11:58   #162

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Great offer but hard to test if better.

Example, the anchor we have instant sets, has never dragged in weed, sand, mud, currents, strong reversing currents and has held us in 80knots of wind and multiple 60+ and 40+ storms over the past 4 years.
To me that's a 100% success rate.

How can you measure "better"
At best it will be "as good"

You'd really need to find someone who's other brand of new gen anchor is not working to test it on.
Old 01-03-2020, 12:05   #163

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Good for HR if they already put the best possible option for their design configuration so their customers wouldn’t worry about the anchor selection at all.

Here you still have a chance to test the ULTRA against the anchor you have and if you find the anchor you have better than the ULTRA, you can then reach out the HR with your test results and tell them they are doing wrong by making the ULTRA standard for their boats.

Why don’t you use it?
I agree, if HR is confident that it is the best option overall in all bottoms and all conditions, it is Fine. However, I seriously believe that it is up to the customer to make that determination.

Regarding your offer to CF members to test Ultra for a year, I think this is a brilliant marketing move - my compliments! Even if people do not provide verbatim, you will have a published table of who participated and who decided to keep the anchor. Even at 25% discount this would be a good testament to the performance benefits they actually observed. The manufacturer’s cost to sponsor the program should be a few thousand dollars, which is like a millisecond of a TV commercial time cost. This is really a good marketing move, congratulations! I see no reasons not to participate on conditions you outlined. Will send you an email in a moment.
Old 01-03-2020, 12:07   #164
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Realistically, would a turn of wind or current cause a boat to back over its anchor at 3.5 knots? Conditions of the test do not seem to conform to the parameters of sensible anchoring.

Mine could! A couple of weeks ago, we were moored with the wind blowing in the high 20's, gusting 30's. When we moved to a different spot, about a mile away, we went under bare poles and no engines, just for fun. We did 6 knots, a good bit faster than anticipating. We certainly were at 3.5 knots or more, within an anchoring reversal difference.
Old 01-03-2020, 12:08   #165
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Hard to test if better.

Example, the anchor we have instant sets, has never dragged in weed, sand, mud, currents, strong reversing currents and has held us in 80knots of wind and multiple 60+ and 40+ storms over the past 4 years.
To me that's a 100% success rate.

How can you measure "better"
At best it will be "as good"
It might still set quicker, it would hold better with short scope. You wouldn't move as much as you used to with wind direction changes. It wouldn't come upside/down. It might come up clean, it would set better to your bow roller etc.

There is no way to understand the difference without giving a try to the ULTRA.

Don't forget, there is always something better.

Tags
anchor, grass