Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2020, 01:42   #181
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Re: General consensus on Ultra Anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
I specifically wanted an Armageddon anchor.
Look to the left at the avatar
High windage, 60 ft, 70 tonne.
Weight in the bow is not an issue.

As I guessed, your anchor is overkill that helps you not experience its design issues.

You surely don't need the UA80/176, the maximum you need is the UA60/132.

We might even keep you as happy as you are with the 70kg Manson Supreme with only 45kg/100lbs ULTRA. That should tell you something about our anchor design.

Would you like to give it a try and test the UA45/100 on your boat against the 70kg Mason Supreme with the same test conditions?
Old 02-03-2020, 01:56   #182

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra Marine West View Post
As I guessed, your anchor is overkill that helps you not experience its design issues.

You surely don't need the UA80/176, the maximum you need is the UA60/132.

Overkill you say yet the considerably lighter and less windage Fleming I mentioned earlier carries the 80kg ultra anchors.

Why would they need such a large anchor if they are as good as you claim?
Old 02-03-2020, 02:07   #183
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Overkill you say yet the considerably lighter and less windage Fleming I mentioned earlier carries the 80kg ultra anchors.

Why would they need such a large anchor if they are as good as you claim?
I guess you refer to the Fleming 65'. They are putting the UA60/132 to these boats at the factory as per our recommendations. If that was an older Fleming and the user bought it afterward, they might have overkilled, too.

Here is our logic, we recommend the UA60/132 for your boat and as a user you can go one size smaller UA45/100 or one size bigger UA80/176.

I see that we are limited with the performance of a 70kg Manson Supreme in your case so I am offering you to give a try to the UA45/100.

What do you say?
Old 02-03-2020, 07:16   #184

Boat: Trintella 47

I sold my 88 lb Rocna because it failed to set if I went over 1.3 knots, and dragged several times with wind change. I bought a 99 lb Spade for my 47’, 40,000 lb boat.
My Spade has never dragged.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:19   #185

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
Completely agree, as I have expressed it here earlier. Which makes it even tougher for the manufacturer to offer the 12 months trial at no costs to participants. Because if it works as well as the one I have now, I am not keeping it at 3 times the cost (after the 1/4 discount) just because it sparkles. On the other hand, if I observe superior performance, I will not mind the price since I am in their target group income wise. Judging by Dockhead’s comments, which do make logical sense, there is a good chance I will.

If it equals the performance of my Spade, I'm keeping it, and the Spade, which conveniently breaks down by removing the bolt, will go into the bilge as a spare. Notwithstanding Noelex's observation, I have always heard from everywhere that the performance of the Ultra is equal to the Spade. But the proof of the pudding is in the eating, so we shall see. I will actually try to fit both on my double bow roller so that I can try them both out in the same spots.

I have studied the price list now and the Ultra is not actually as expensive as I thought it was. It's actually only about double the cost of the Spade of the same size. Considering the galvanizing issues with the Spade, the Ultra will pay for itself the first time you replace the Spade because you can't regalvanize it and it looks bad.

The big downside however is if you lose it. Double the loss. I have never lost an anchor (knock on wood), but it's likely that you will one day if you anchor a lot in the rocks, as I do.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 02-03-2020, 11:30   #186

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory 27

Hi folks - A few posts have been removed from this thread as they wandered too far afield of the intended topic: Ultra Anchor.

Thanks for your patience; please stay on topic

Community Rules | Advertise on Cruisers Forum
Contribute to Cruisers Wiki | Document your Adventures at Sail Blogs
Old 02-03-2020, 11:41   #187

Quote:
I guess you refer to the Fleming 65'. They are putting the UA60/132 to these boats at the factory as per our recommendations..
Yes, a Fleming 65, which is actually the same length as us on the waterline ( if measuring overhangs we are closer to 70ft)
It is also a full 20 tonne lighter, so understandably could get away with a smaller anchor.

Quote:
. If that was an older Fleming and the user bought it afterward, they might have overkilled, too
Overkill?
When its blowing its tits off with horizontal hail, conditions are so bad that radar, GPS and depth sounders no longer get a signal (yes, we have been there) I doubt anyone has ever said "Gee, this 70kg anchor is a bit of overkill, I wish we would have bought that 60kg one instead"
I am sure the opposite would be true - you can never have to much anchor when the SHTF

Quote:
Here is our logic, we recommend the UA60/132 for your boat and as a user you can go one size smaller UA45/100 or one size bigger UA80/176
Here is my logic - if you rely on an anchor for a great nights sleep and in some cases, survival, bigger is better - not smaller.

Quote:
I see that we are limited with the performance of a 70kg Manson Supreme in your case so I am offering you to give a try to the UA45/100.

What do you say?
If you are offering a smaller anchor as a freebie for sure, send it out, I could always go a better spare (spares are currently 80 and 100lb plough and 80lb delta)
But I am not buying a smaller anchor to replace a larger proven model based on here say and theory.
I value my sleep, vessel and ultimately our lives too much for that.
Old 02-03-2020, 12:14   #188
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Yes, a Fleming 65, which is actually the same length as us on the waterline ( if measuring overhangs we are closer to 70ft)
It is also a full 20 tonne lighter, so understandably could get away with a smaller anchor.

Overkill?
When its blowing its tits off with horizontal hail, conditions are so bad that radar, GPS and depth sounders no longer get a signal (yes, we have been there) I doubt anyone has ever said "Gee, this 70kg anchor is a bit of overkill, I wish we would have bought that 60kg one instead"
I am sure the opposite would be true - you can never have to much anchor when the SHTF
Here is my logic - if you rely on an anchor for a great nights sleep and in some cases, survival, bigger is better - not smaller.

If you are offering a smaller anchor as a freebie for sure, send it out, I could always go a better spare (spares are currently 80 and 100lb plough and 80lb delta)
But I am not buying a smaller anchor to replace a larger proven model based on here say and theory.
I value my sleep, vessel and ultimately our lives too much for that.
Anyways, I got it. UA80/176 is too big for you and UA60/132 and UA45/100 are too small So our offer is not working for you.

We have so far four forum members taking our offer and we are still waiting for others to come and this way ULTRA can prove itself to that forum members, too.
Old 02-03-2020, 13:11   #189

While sailing through the South Pacific I made it my mission to help others anchor in a manner that did the least damage possible to coral.
I watched dozens of anchors set, I’m a Rocna guy, however The Ultra sets faster, and digs in deeper than any of them.
If I had the money I’d buy one.
Old 02-03-2020, 14:01   #190

Quote:
Anyways, I got it. UA80/176 is too big for you
I believe it would be, without modification to my roller setup
I am not 100% sure

Quote:
and UA60/132
which you never offered and would most likely be adequate - but I demand MORE than adequate in my anchoring gear.
I daresay the similar sized Manson supreme would also be adequate, but the same rule applies.
Quote:
and UA45/100 are too small
which you did offer and would be adequate as a day anchor IMHO

BUT, my day anchor is my storm anchor
I dont get to pick and choose weather, every day is a potential storm day and I am not changing 100+ pound anchors for fun.

Quote:
So our offer is not working for you.
The offer of an undersized anchor and using me as a guinea pig is not much of an offer, thanks but no thanks.

Quote:
We have so far four forum members taking our offer and we are still waiting for others to come and this way ULTRA can prove itself to that forum members, too.
Great.
I do hope you get some comparing at the heavy end of the spectrum.
I fully expect the results to be good, but I am very sceptical of any "modern" design that claims it can have the same holding power as other "modern" designs for a 33% decrease in size without any actual testing to support that claim.
Old 02-03-2020, 14:02   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregfreed View Post
however The Ultra sets faster, and digs in deeper than any of them.
Evidence?
Old 02-03-2020, 15:30   #192

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 53

Quote:

I'll give it a try. Sounds like a very nice offer on an anchor I was considering anyway. Looking forward to it.
Thanks.
Old 02-03-2020, 16:52   #193

What is the offer? Try and buy or try and return?
Old 02-03-2020, 17:02   #194

Boat: Barlow, Ex Trawler 13.85m

3 different boats always used the Ultra never an issue set easily looks good last experience with my trawler 20 ton, 60 kg Ultra monsoon front came thru at anchor wind gusted to 79 knots never moved an inch chain stretched to max boat bucking and snapping on the chain no problem. Best insurance I ever paid for.
Unlike an insurance company the Ultra does “not answer back” just does the job.
Old 02-03-2020, 17:36   #195

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

After boating for over 60 years, I’ve found that most anchors have good performance in certain bottoms under certain conditions and not so good under other conditions and bottoms. People have told me how happy they were with anchor A because it held during the storm even though it cost several times what most paid for their ground tackle. The boat anchored next to them didn’t drag either and they had a $100.00 Danforth. During the same storm, the guy using premium anchor B dragged so the anchor was blamed even though the storm was forecasted accurately and the scope was about 2 1/2:1 allowing the surge to yank the expensive anchor free.
YouTube has anchor tests with short scopes that should pull must anchors free. People watch the videos and become convinced that the short scope creating a steep angle to the anchor is fine and if any dragging occurs, it’s due to a bad anchor design. I’ve been using an anchor for many years that a few consider obsolete. Other than in soft mud, the Bruce anchor has always held, and I’ve been anchored in many storms. It had difficulty penetrating hard bottoms until the edges were sharpened with a grinder a few years ago. I still keep a Danforth for overnighting over mud.
Most realize that anchors have good points and weak points. By understanding these strengths and weaknesses, the cost of a super premium anchor can be avoided and the boat can still remain hooked when the winds howl and the sea blows over the deck.
Closed Thread

Tags
anchor, grass