Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2020, 17:47   #196

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse
Re: General consensus on Ultra Anchor

I think your missing about half of the claimed benefit of new-gen anchors. The first claim is that most of them set very well and very quickly in most bottom types, even with fairly low scope, whereas some/many older anchors are more sensitive to bottom types.

This aspect, you are saying, is not that big a deal because you use older style anchors with good results when they are properly set with proper scope. Fine.

The other claim, that a lot of people find very attractive is that these new-gen anchors do very well at automatically resetting very quickly in a wide variety of bottoms when there is a significant wind shift. I think this is the bigger benefit, because there is pretty good evidence that older style anchors don't do well with this.
Old 02-03-2020, 17:54   #197

Boat: 1983 hunter 31, hull number 58

Just put a 35 lb mantus m2 on my hunter 31 and so far all is good
Fits nice and tight in bow roller. I did it for its resetting capacities since I often anchor in tidal waters.
Old 02-03-2020, 17:58   #198

Boat: Outremer 55L

I’m looking to upsize my current Spade S140 (galvanised 30kg). I’m perfectly happy with the Spade’s performance in our 3 years of experience with it - we’ve had it drag once on catching a branch as it set, but never other than that. Short setting distance, happy on short scope, and as our bow roller system was designed for it, fits our rollers very well. Comes up backwards sometimes but flips around on its stock as it comes into the first roller. But it’s too small for a SHTF anchor for our boat (lightweight but high windage catamaran).

Options we’re looking at are a larger Spade (S180 45kg or S200 55kg) or Excel 9 (50kg). Excel is considerably less expensive than the Spade. M2 is too new and unproven and relatively expensive imported down here and the Vulcan is not proven to my satisfaction.

Regarding the deal, we aren’t in either the US nor Turkey, but even if we were why would I pay triple for an anchor that performs as well as or perhaps slightly better than what I’ve got now? I certainly don’t believe that the Ultra is a third generation of anchor design that is as far ahead of new generation anchors as they are of the older anchors. Panope’s testing would convince me, but not anecdotes from others who are not doing systematic testing of multiple anchors.

Other than shiny bling, is there a functional reason to buy a stainless steel anchor?
Old 02-03-2020, 18:15   #199

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

There was a pretty involved thread about the poor galvanization of Spade anchors and the cost/difficulty of re-galvanizing them. If I recall, more than one person suggested it may be worth getting the stainless version. Once you look at the cost of stainless versions of all the major new-gen anchors, the price of the Ultra is not an outlier. If it performs as well or better than a Spade (or others), then you get a good anchor at a reasonable (relatively, within context) price that is also nice looking.

If you think it's preposterous to pay for a stainless anchor, then don't. But picking on Ultra for being the same price as a lot of other stainless anchors seems pointless.
Old 03-03-2020, 01:39   #200
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Yes, a Fleming 65, which is actually the same length as us on the waterline ( if measuring overhangs we are closer to 70ft)
It is also a full 20 tonne lighter, so understandably could get away with a smaller anchor.

Overkill?
When its blowing its tits off with horizontal hail, conditions are so bad that radar, GPS and depth sounders no longer get a signal (yes, we have been there) I doubt anyone has ever said "Gee, this 70kg anchor is a bit of overkill, I wish we would have bought that 60kg one instead"
I am sure the opposite would be true - you can never have to much anchor when the SHTF

Here is my logic - if you rely on an anchor for a great nights sleep and in some cases, survival, bigger is better - not smaller.

If you are offering a smaller anchor as a freebie for sure, send it out, I could always go a better spare (spares are currently 80 and 100lb plough and 80lb delta)
But I am not buying a smaller anchor to replace a larger proven model based on here say and theory.
I value my sleep, vessel and ultimately our lives too much for that.
It looks like we had a small misunderstanding, I am offering you all UA80/176, UA60/132 or even UA45/100. Pick and test.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:17   #201

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 49

Here are my observations regarding the different types of anchors.'
(I've been sailing for 50+ years, mostly in the SF Bay area, Pacific Northwest, Caribbean, Bahamas, Mexico, Sea of Cortez, etc.)

There are ~4 styles of anchors:
1. Danforth (Danforth, Fortress, etc.)
2. Claw (Bruce, Claw, etc.)
3. Plow (Delta, CQR, etc.)
4. Spade (Rocna, Manson, "Spade", etc.)

I've used them all, and here are my observations:

The Danforth Style anchor is probably the best holding anchor, but difficult to secure in a bow roller on a sailboat. (My backup anchors are Danforth and Fortress.)

The Claw Style anchor is probably the worst holding anchor.

The Plow style anchor is a very good holding anchor, although in severe conditions I've noticed they do "plow" along, so there is some movement.
(In this category, I've noticed the CQR Plow the hardest to set, and the first one to loose the set - and not regain the set by itself.)

The Spade Style is probably the best holding anchor. (In this category I've noticed the Mantus is most difficult to clean because of the assembly nuts, and I have had many difficult times trying to set the "Spade" anchor. I've run a fleet of 6 boats in SF Bay for the past 8 years, and we have switched all the anchors to Rocna Spade Anchors - never have we had a problem setting the anchor, or loosing the set.)

Here is another independent anchor study, with holding capacities which you may find helpful.

https://www.petersmith.net.nz/boat-a...ce-testing.php
Old 03-03-2020, 14:44   #202

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra Marine West View Post
It looks like we had a small misunderstanding, I am offering you all UA80/176, UA60/132 or even UA45/100. Pick and test.
Thanks for that.

But as mentioned, I believe the 132 would be a step down or at best on a par with what we have now
And the shank on the 176 is too long unless I was to do some fairly expensive modifications to my stainless work.

Unless it was a "free " anchor, it would not be a financially viable proposition.
I don't think you are offering me a free anchor, right?
Old 04-03-2020, 00:57   #203
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks for that.

But as mentioned, I believe the 132 would be a step down or at best on a par with what we have now
And the shank on the 176 is too long unless I was to do some fairly expensive modifications to my stainless work.

Unless it was a "free " anchor, it would not be a financially viable proposition.
I don't think you are offering me a free anchor, right?

Testing it for twelve months is free. If you don't like it, you will send it back. If you like it, you will purchase it with a 25% Pre-Owned anchor discount.

However, your boat has to be in the USA and it looks like you are in Australia so if that is the case, my offer is not working for you at all. However, if you are looking for a better anchor, ULTRA Anchor is available in the Australia, as well. Riviera is using them standard on most of their boats.
Old 04-03-2020, 02:58   #204

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Riviera is using them standard on most of their boats.
Not much of an endorsement

Many in this part of the world believe that Riv owners lack actual seamanship but try to make up for it with an oversupply of blue underwater lights and shiny things.

The Gold Coast lights up with luxury for the R Marine Jones Riviera Raft-Up – Experience Magazine
Old 04-03-2020, 03:09   #205
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:

Many in this part of the world believe that Riv owners lack actual seamanship but try to make up for it with an oversupply of blue underwater lights and shiny things.

The Gold Coast lights up with luxury for the R Marine Jones Riviera Raft-Up – Experience Magazine

Thanks for sharing that beautiful picture
Old 04-03-2020, 03:12   #206
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:

What do you think about Swan sailboat owners?
Old 04-03-2020, 03:39   #207
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
What do you think about Swan sailboat owners?

I asked it, but when I read that it doesn't sound right. Please don't answer that question. That will be out of the ULTRA Anchor topic. I also have to note that I disagree with you about the Riviera owners, I hope we don't have any here, by the way.

Below you can see two pictures from Nautor Swans world premiere.

Swan 54 has an open bow and it comes with the ULTRA Anchor, ULTRA Flip Swivel, and ULTRA Bow Roller set, while they could out a roll-bar anchor easily there.

Swan 65 comes with the ULTRA Anchor and ULTRA Flip Swivel, she has the bowsprit where a roll-bar anchor could be an issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Swan 54.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	209990   Click image for larger version

Name:	Swan 65.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	209992  

Old 04-03-2020, 04:06   #208

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

Quote:
I asked it, but when I read that it doesn't sound right. Please don't answer that question. That will be out of the ULTRA Anchor topic. I also have to note that I disagree with you about the Riviera owners, I hope we don't have any here, by the way.

Below you can see two pictures from Nautor Swans world premiere.

Swan 54 has an open bow and it comes with the ULTRA Anchor, ULTRA Flip Swivel, and ULTRA Bow Roller set, while they could out a roll-bar anchor easily there.

Swan 65 comes with the ULTRA Anchor and ULTRA Flip Swivel, she has the bowsprit where a roll-bar anchor could be an issue.
Wow, I'd hate to have to go forward and mess with anchoring gear on a new Swan! What would keep you on board? The bow pulpit offers no protection at all.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:50   #209

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iains boatyard View Post
3 different boats always used the Ultra never an issue set easily looks good last experience with my trawler 20 ton, 60 kg Ultra monsoon front came thru at anchor wind gusted to 79 knots never moved an inch chain stretched to max boat bucking and snapping on the chain no problem. Best insurance I ever paid for.
Unlike an insurance company the Ultra does “not answer back” just does the job.

60kg anchor on a 20 tonne trawler -- now that is robust sizing!

Kudos to you I would do the same if my windlass and bow roller could handle it.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 04-03-2020, 06:04   #210
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
60kg anchor on a 20 tonne trawler -- now that is robust sizing!

Kudos to you I would do the same if my windlass and bow roller could handle it.

We often get a confusion with "60" at the ULTRA.

We have UA27/60 which is 27kg and 60lbs.
We have UA60/132 which is 60kg and 132lbs.

I need to know the length and windage of the boat as well to understand it better but the maximum we recommend for a 20 ton Trawler is UA35/77 so I am closer that it is the UA27/60.

However, honestly if it really is the UA60/132, any same size new generation anchor can hold a 20ton trawler at that size.

The user needs to confirm which one he actually has.

Tags
anchor, grass