Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2020, 10:27   #211

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Re: General consensus on Ultra Anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra Marine West View Post
What do you think about Swan sailboat owners?

I have no thoughts on Swan sailboat owners.
Never had any experience with them.

Riv owners on the other hand we get to see regularly.
Old 07-03-2020, 16:01   #212

Boat: Barlow, Ex Trawler 13.85m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
60kg anchor on a 20 tonne trawler -- now that is robust sizing!

Kudos to you I would do the same if my windlass and bow roller could handle it.
Sorry guys size confusion in my head because the US uses weird measurements.
Should be 45kg anchor 100 lb on my current trawler. First Ultra was 27 kg 60 lb
I take from all this the Ultra is a very good anchor.
Old 07-03-2020, 16:39   #213
cruiser

The wind was blowing no more than 15 knots today as we watched another Rocna owner go dragging past our Ultra equipped boat. Mud bottom and the Rocna came up clogged up with thick mud caught in the hoop. They were unable to reset so went to another area in Falmouth Harbor to try again. There seems to be a pattern developing here.
Old 07-03-2020, 16:43   #214

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluechart View Post
Here are my observations regarding the different types of anchors.'
(I've been sailing for 50+ years, mostly in the SF Bay area, Pacific Northwest, Caribbean, Bahamas, Mexico, Sea of Cortez, etc.)

There are ~4 styles of anchors:
1. Danforth (Danforth, Fortress, etc.)
2. Claw (Bruce, Claw, etc.)
3. Plow (Delta, CQR, etc.)
4. Spade (Rocna, Manson, "Spade", etc.)

I've used them all, and here are my observations:

The Danforth Style anchor is probably the best holding anchor, but difficult to secure in a bow roller on a sailboat. (My backup anchors are Danforth and Fortress.)

The Claw Style anchor is probably the worst holding anchor.

The Plow style anchor is a very good holding anchor, although in severe conditions I've noticed they do "plow" along, so there is some movement.
(In this category, I've noticed the CQR Plow the hardest to set, and the first one to loose the set - and not regain the set by itself.)

The Spade Style is probably the best holding anchor. (In this category I've noticed the Mantus is most difficult to clean because of the assembly nuts, and I have had many difficult times trying to set the "Spade" anchor. I've run a fleet of 6 boats in SF Bay for the past 8 years, and we have switched all the anchors to Rocna Spade Anchors - never have we had a problem setting the anchor, or loosing the set.)

Here is another independent anchor study, with holding capacities which you may find helpful.

https://www.petersmith.net.nz/boat-a...ce-testing.php

Independant? Would that be the same Peter Smith of Rocna fame?

Oh, and your testing results appear to be at odds with Steve Goodwin of s/v Panope's results!

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Old 07-03-2020, 16:47   #215

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Independant? Would that be the same Peter Smith of Rocna fame?

Oh, and your testing results appear to be at odds with Steve Goodwin of s/v Panope's results!

For that last bit, testing outright holding power will likely give very different results to testing setting performance, reversals, etc. (especially at short scope). An anchor can be easy to set well but not hold all that strongly or it can be a pain to set but hold like a portable mooring in a straight pull.
Old 07-03-2020, 17:20   #216

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrinocoFlo View Post
The wind was blowing no more than 15 knots today as we watched another Rocna owner go dragging past our Ultra equipped boat. Mud bottom and the Rocna came up clogged up with thick mud caught in the hoop. They were unable to reset so went to another area in Falmouth Harbor to try again. There seems to be a pattern developing here.
There's more to it if they dragged in 15 kt winds. Probably 1:1 scope.
Old 07-03-2020, 17:22   #217

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
There's more to it if they dragged in 15 kt winds. Probably 1:1 scope.

Or they never got it set in the first place (and possibly clogged it up in the process preventing it from setting on its own) so it couldn't do anything useful when it saw some load.
Old 07-03-2020, 18:01   #218

Interesting that none of the Anchor test include the Ultra. Why?
My cruising buddy has an Rocna rarely can he set in one manoeuvre in the same location as me.
Old 07-03-2020, 20:36   #219

So Uncle Bob, have you used an Ultra ?
Old 07-03-2020, 20:53   #220

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iains boatyard View Post
So Uncle Bob, have you used an Ultra ?
No, had a delta, dragged regularly, replaced with a rocna which the rep was adamant was the correct size, dragged less but still dragged and came up with large chunks of the bottom, now have an Excell with which I am very pleased.
The ultra is an interesting looking anchor, (great boat bling ) which I have seen in use a couple of times and has held appropriately. Definitely agree that it is an expensive item.
Out of curiosity, in which part of the world are you located?

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Old 07-03-2020, 21:29   #221

Currently Thailand, hard sand, soft sand, mud, sloppy mud, coral bottoms
My Trawler is not a “ bling boat” I bought the first one after Rocna had all the drama when they out sourced their manufacture to China and had shank bending breaking due to inferior steel.
Pity you are not able to try one they certainly work for me. It has worked in some serious tropical storms one of which spun me in 360 circle.
Pricey but dam good insurance compared to those companies that take your money and run!
Old 08-03-2020, 01:25   #222

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Pricey but dam good insurance compared to those companies that take your money and run!
So, which companies are those? A big, general accusation with nothing to back it up.

Jim
Old 08-03-2020, 08:18   #223

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iains boatyard View Post
My cruising buddy has an Rocna rarely can he set in one manoeuvre in the same location as me.
If he can't set it first time every time, he is doing something wrong. He needs lessons.
Old 15-03-2020, 20:14   #224

Boat: Outremer 55L

I’m looking at options for shoreline rope reels. Ultra have a very good looking one that I was checking out (though I’m likely going to order a less expensive one from EasyRoll). While I was on the Ultra site (https://www.ultramarine-anchors.com) I saw their anchor size calculator.

Now, the funny thing I saw is that rather than radically undersizing the recommended anchor size as I’ve read on this thread, the calculator actually oversizes the suggested anchor! I’m a 54 foot long sailing catamaran and the recommendation is for the UA60 - a 60kg anchor! Wow, that’s big.

By reference, for an Outremer 51 (new generation, slightly smaller and slightly heavier than our classic 55L) Spade suggests the S140, a 30kg anchor. That happens to be our current anchor. Going up two sizes for storm yields the S180, a 45kg anchor. Sarca Excel suggests #6, a 30kg anchor. Going up one size for multihull and two for storm yields the #9, a 50kg anchor.

I guess Ultra anchors aren’t as efficient as they claim and need more weight to work as well as other new generation non-roll bar anchors? Weird.
Old 15-03-2020, 20:49   #225

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
I’m looking at options for shoreline rope reels. Ultra have a very good looking one that I was checking out (though I’m likely going to order a less expensive one from EasyRoll). While I was on the Ultra site (https://www.ultramarine-anchors.com) I saw their anchor size calculator.

Now, the funny thing I saw is that rather than radically undersizing the recommended anchor size as I’ve read on this thread, the calculator actually oversizes the suggested anchor! I’m a 54 foot long sailing catamaran and the recommendation is for the UA60 - a 60kg anchor! Wow, that’s big.

By reference, for an Outremer 51 (new generation, slightly smaller and slightly heavier than our classic 55L) Spade suggests the S140, a 30kg anchor. That happens to be our current anchor. Going up two sizes for storm yields the S180, a 45kg anchor. Sarca Excel suggests #6, a 30kg anchor. Going up one size for multihull and two for storm yields the #9, a 50kg anchor.

I guess Ultra anchors aren’t as efficient as they claim and need more weight to work as well as other new generation non-roll bar anchors? Weird.
Its a totally ridiculous calculator.

60kg for a lightweight low windage cat
45 kg for a heavyweight high windage powered vessel
Anyone with half a clue would recognise that our vessel at 70,000kg needs a considerably larger anchor than you.

Something is definitely broken.
Closed Thread

Tags
anchor, grass