Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2020, 02:23   #241
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Re: General consensus on Ultra Anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Do you really think most boat owners are that clueless?
They would need to have an idea for insurance, registration, marina berth and slipping.

It doesn't cover displacement/weight

If your calculator puts a lighter anchor on a heavy displacement, high windage boat yet puts a heavier anchor on a light low windage boat its pretty obvious its broken.
This from an ex boat builder with 40 years in the industry,, aluminium super yachts to composite lightweight multihulls , so I believe I have "general knowledge" about design.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
I received an Ultra Anchor today, as per Ultra Marine West's generous 1 year trial offer. Shipping container is in pristine condition.

As I mentioned previously, my boat is still on the hard, so the best I can do for now, is to attach the Ultra to the anchor chain, and report on how the anchor stows in the bow roller.

Unfortunately, I have had a mild fever for about a week, and am on a self imposed bed rest/lock down due to Corona Virus.

Stay tuned.......

And thanks again to Ultra Marine West.

Steve

Attachment 210714
We thank you for giving ULTRA a chance to prove itself and I am sorry to hear about your health issues Steve. We wish you a quick recovery.
Old 19-03-2020, 15:29   #242

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Got the Ultra attached to the chain and stowed in the roller.

First of all, I'll say that this is a very impressive anchor. Workmanship is flawless. Design looks smart. I love that this anchor is one piece, has no laps/gaps, and has no exposed dissimilar metals. Anchor came with one of the nicest Owners Manual that I have ever seen.

The chain attach point is a CIRCULAR hole that does NOT allow the boss of my shackle to pass through. This means that I must use 2 shackles (instead of 1) to attach the chain (see pic). This is a minor complaint, but for me (a person who does not use a swivel) a slotted hole would have been slightly better.

Note that the ear of the shackle pin is interfering with the (admittedly small) opening of my bulwarks. This is not an issue during retrieval. However, during deployment, I had to give the chain a "kick" to get the anchor free. This is most certainly an issue for me and ONLY me as this bulwark opening is unique to my boat. This simple solution is to cut off most of the "ear" of the shackle pin and drill a new, smaller hole for the safety wire.

The anchor is a good fit in my roller and is without question, the shiniest thing on my boat. I'll leave it up to the reader to decide if that is a good aesthetic thing or not

My anchor testing has revealed (to me at least) that the issue of "mud sticking to anchors" is not insignificant and it is possible that this Polished Stainless Steel finish will help.

I look forward to discovering some of this anchor's "sea floor" characteristics.

Launch date unknown at this time.

Steve

Old 19-03-2020, 15:44   #243

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

Looks nice, I look forward to your review.

Does it stop pulling in because the roller hits the end of the shank, or because the shank gets too tall for the opening?
Old 19-03-2020, 16:13   #244

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post

Does it stop pulling in because the roller hits the end of the shank, or because the shank gets too tall for the opening?
Good eye, Muaddib

The shank is too tall for the opening. If I keep this anchor, I might make the opening larger by grinding. Then again, having the shank "wedged" in place is not necessarily a bad thing.

I'll mention that all of the other anchors that I have tested (except the unmodified Manson Supreme) have a "shorter" shank (in this general region) than the Ultra.

Again, this situation is probably unique to my boat.

Steve
Old 19-03-2020, 16:16   #245

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

Looks good Panope. I can't wait to see you try her out.

I have to jump in on this one.

Simi 60, I respect your knowledge, and experience, but you do seem to have an ax to grind. No anchor manufacturers have such a specific list of criteria as you mentioned to help one choose an anchor. They give you a ballpark, for the average (in this case) Mono sail, mono power, cat sail, cat power. That's two more options than I've seen anywhere else.
In my opinion, YES most boat owners are clueless as to the area of the sides of their boats, or frontal area on catamarans.

I'm sure most of us didn't know your history, so there's no reason Ultra would. I think you're taking this too personally.

As Ultra said, I have also run into many boat owners who had no clue as to what their boat's displacement was. Not an idea at all. Go ahead, at your next stop, and ask.

Keep in mind, "most" boat owners aren't cruisers. I'd hope most folks crossing oceans, or doing long term cruising would have an idea what their boat's displacement is. But most boats are dock queens, or, at best, week-end toys. I've shaken my head many times when talking about boats, and finding out how few actually know their boat's specs. Most sailors know their draft, but I've run into quite a few power boaters (planing boats) who didn't know how much water they needed to float.

Oh, and catamarans, these days, are seldom "low windage".

Peace.
Paul.
Old 19-03-2020, 18:55   #246

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIT View Post

I have to jump in on this one.

Simi 60, I respect your knowledge, and experience, but you do seem to have an ax to grind.
No axe to grind

Quote:
No anchor manufacturers have such a specific list of criteria as you mentioned to help one choose an anchor. They give you a ballpark, for the average (in this case) Mono sail, mono power, cat sail, cat power. That's two more options than I've seen anywhere else.
Yes, and when in doubt, as I was I contacted the manufacturer.
I sent length, draft, displacement and a couple of pics.
I also gave a description of intended usage and expectations.

They sized it, I tried to give them more money for the next size up but they said no, the 150lb was more than enough
This is also inline with what other similar sized vessels running "new gen" anchors carry.

To then have another manufacturer claim I should have gone 50lb lighter again, when given the same information with nothing to support that claim sounds a bit pie in the sky to me.

Quote:
In my opinion, YES most boat owners are clueless as to the area of the sides of their boats, or frontal area on catamarans.
Clueless maybe, but they still need to have some idea to come up on a travellift, at least we do in these parts.
Try making a booking with no idea of size and weight, report back.

Quote:
I'm sure most of us didn't know your history, so there's no reason Ultra would. I think you're taking this too personally.
not taking it personally at all.
Just pointing out that they are not or it has not been proven that, these anchors are magic.

If there was some actual evidence to support the claims, different story.

Quote:
Oh, and catamarans, these days, are seldom "low windage".
But the poster who used the calculator, that was mentioned is.
But its beside the point, a 55fter will never have the windage or weight that we have. (outreemer 55L is 10 tonne, we are 70 tonne)
Why then does ultra insist both online and with their calculator that we can have a smaller anchor, 132lb vs 99lb?
Explain the science and logic behind that?
Old 19-03-2020, 19:47   #247

I agree with you, that seems light. I've seen a pic of your boat, and I'd certainly not try a 99 lb anchor for it.

I've just gone to their site, and it seems to recommend a minimum of an 80kg anchor for your boat. Up to 75 feet and 69 tons, that's 176 lbs. I'm not sure where you found the 99 lbs recommendation. Acutally, you'd require the 100kg, since you stated your boat weighes 70 tonnes, not 70 ton.

There's a column for length, and next to it there's a column for weight. You'd have to use whichever is higher, while matching your specs.

176 lbs for up to 69 tons; and 100kg, or 220lbs for up to 93 tons, and 83 feet, for a high profile power boat.

I believe that's heavier than what you're using now; an entirely sensible approach.

Cheers.
Paul.

Old 19-03-2020, 20:12   #248

Keeping in mind that some of that 100kg is lead, whereas your present anchor has none.
I'd assume both anchors have nearly the same area presented.

My conversion between Ton and Tonnes, may have been incorrect; depending on where you live. In USA and Canada, if you say Ton, you mean 2000lbs. I see there's a Uk Ton, which is 2240 lbs. How confusing.

I'm so glad the metric system came along!

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 19-03-2020, 20:56   #249

Simi 60.

I just read post 181, and I see where you get the 99lb anchor idea.

I think that was over the top; full stop.

No 99 lb anchor would be a suitable primary for your boat.

I think the selection table is sensible; but Ultra certainly overstepped on that post.

Peace brother.
Paul.
Old 19-03-2020, 21:05   #250

Quote:
I agree with you, that seems light. I've seen a pic of your boat, and I'd certainly not try a 99 lb anchor for it.

I've just gone to their site, and it seems to recommend a minimum of an 80kg anchor for your boat. Up to 75 feet and 69 tons, that's 176 lbs. I'm not sure where you found the 99 lbs recommendation. Acutally, you'd require the 100kg, since you stated your boat weighes 70 tonnes, not 70 ton.
I got it from their calculator

https://www.ultramarine-anchors.com/anchor

And their rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra Marine West View Post
As I guessed, your anchor is overkill that helps you not experience its design issues.

You surely don't need the UA80/176, the maximum you need is the UA60/132.

We might even keep you as happy as you are with the 70kg Manson Supreme with only 45kg/100lbs ULTRA. That should tell you something about our anchor design.

Would you like to give it a try and test the UA45/100 on your boat against the 70kg Mason Supreme with the same test conditions?
Both say for high profile boat UA45/100 (99lb)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dswed.JPG
Views:	730
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	210917  
Old 19-03-2020, 21:08   #251

Quote:
Simi 60, I just read post 181. I see where you get the 99lb anchor idea.

I think that was over the top; full stop. No 99 lb anchor would be a suitable primary for your boat.

I think the selection table is sensible; but Ultra overstepped on that post.

Peace brother.
Paul.
Yep.
Old 19-03-2020, 21:22   #252

That's a screwy calculator. The Ultra marine West website won't calculate size unless you input length, and weight.

https://www.ultramarinewest.com/products/ultra-anchor

Cheers, and stick to the heavy anchor! We use a Spade 200 (55kg), and wouldn't go smaller than the 45kg as the primary. Not even on a bet!

15m sailing cat, 7.5 tonnes at launch, partially loaded, 10 tonnes to the DWL.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 20-03-2020, 02:53   #253
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
That's a screwy calculator. The Ultra marine West website won't calculate size unless you input length, and weight.

https://www.ultramarinewest.com/products/ultra-anchor

Cheers, and stick to the heavy anchor! We use a Spade 200 (55kg), and wouldn't go smaller than the 45kg as the primary. Not even on a bet!

15m sailing cat, 7.5 tonnes at launch, partially loaded, 10 tonnes to the DWL.

Cheers.
Paul.
Thanks for giving me a chance to clarify this.

When you enter 60' High Profile Power Boat weighing 70 tonnes, our calculator picks the UA100/220, but if you enter 60' High Profile Power Boat weighing 69 tonnes, then it pulls the UA80/176.

As I said, we see these figures as a lead, not as a rule. So the recommended ULTRA Anchor size for Simi 60 is the UA80/176.

He can go one size bigger UA100/220 or one size smaller UA60/132. That is what I would tell him when he comes to me in the first place. However, he has been telling us that he is extremely pleased with his 70kg roll bar anchor, so the UA60/132 would still be the best one for him. He also said that the 80kg ULTRA doesn't fit his boat without significant modifications, plus the 60kg ULTRA would be too small so that he doesn't see an appropriate ULTRA size to test against his 70kg roll bar anchor. That is why I offered him the UA45/100 to make it even easier to get and test against his anchor. I wanted him the first hand experience the ULTRA, but he then took it to another point. I later discovered that he is in Australia and not even qualified for the test deal, but he has been telling us that there is not the right size ULTRA for him to test...

Finally, I wasn't aware of that screw calculator our distributor in Europe uses. We take the boat type, length, and weight into consideration to recommend an ULTRA Anchor, but their calculator doesn't ask for the boat weight. It is not in line with our policies, and I will get in touch with them to fix this ASAP. I apologize for the extra confusion coming from that calculator.
Old 20-03-2020, 03:24   #254
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Got the Ultra attached to the chain and stowed in the roller.

First of all, I'll say that this is a very impressive anchor. Workmanship is flawless. Design looks smart. I love that this anchor is one piece, has no laps/gaps, and has no exposed dissimilar metals. Anchor came with one of the nicest Owners Manual that I have ever seen.

The chain attach point is a CIRCULAR hole that does NOT allow the boss of my shackle to pass through. This means that I must use 2 shackles (instead of 1) to attach the chain (see pic). This is a minor complaint, but for me (a person who does not use a swivel) a slotted hole would have been slightly better.

Note that the ear of the shackle pin is interfering with the (admittedly small) opening of my bulwarks. This is not an issue during retrieval. However, during deployment, I had to give the chain a "kick" to get the anchor free. This is most certainly an issue for me and ONLY me as this bulwark opening is unique to my boat. This simple solution is to cut off most of the "ear" of the shackle pin and drill a new, smaller hole for the safety wire.

The anchor is a good fit in my roller and is without question, the shiniest thing on my boat. I'll leave it up to the reader to decide if that is a good aesthetic thing or not

My anchor testing has revealed (to me at least) that the issue of "mud sticking to anchors" is not insignificant and it is possible that this Polished Stainless Steel finish will help.

I look forward to discovering some of this anchor's "sea floor" characteristics.

Launch date unknown at this time.

Steve

Hi Steve,

I don’t want to open another big discussion here, but we designed the ULTRA Anchor to be used with a swivel. That is why we are using a hole instead of a slot.

The anchor & chain connection with an ULTRA Anchor is so essential. It has to be stronger than the chain connected. A plow anchor starts plowing under extreme load, but the ULTRA will dig in deeper and create higher holding power. So it will force that connection more, and if it is not strong enough, it will break it. Unfortunately, stronger shackles are bigger and too projecting as you are experiencing, plus they sit on the rollers when you recover your anchor, and the anchor might stick to bow rollers upside-down.

The ULTRA Flip Swivel with its slim and rounded body is both more reliable than the chain connected plus with its bridge and nub it turns the anchors the right way up when they come upside-down to bow rollers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	UFS.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	319.8 KB
ID:	210924   Click image for larger version

Name:	UPBR45100 (3).jpg
Views:	50
Size:	436.3 KB
ID:	210927  

Old 20-03-2020, 03:38   #255
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post

We also have a more straightforward solution for such problems. We sell the ULTRA Bow Roller CAR for 2/3 price of the whole bow roller.

For ULTRA Anchor owners only, we can even make a custom CAR to accommodate their bow roller widths and pin diameters in Istanbul and send it to their addresses in the USA.

If Steve wants to keep that anchor after twelve months, I would offer him another good deal on an ULTRA Flip Swivel plus an ULTRA Bow Roller Car so he can fully be ULTRA.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ULTRA Bow Roller Car.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	213.3 KB
ID:	210925   Click image for larger version

Name:	UBRC27 at Princess V58.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	210926  

Tags
anchor, grass