Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2020, 11:12   #271

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'
Re: General consensus on Ultra Anchor

For clarification, when I measure "tip weight", I am simply placing a scale under the tip (of the fluke) while the anchor is on it's side. See the photograph in my above post (the scale surface is made of glass).

I am in no way trying to determine how much the tip of the anchor would weigh if cut off from the anchor.

Sorry for any confusion.

Steve
Old 02-04-2020, 12:32   #272

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
Pressure that the tip exerts on a support surface is a more fundamental parameter.
As in the downward force of gravity?
Old 02-04-2020, 13:33   #273

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
Tip weight and center of gravity coordinates are completely different parameters with a very weak correlation that is more dependent on the anchors' topology than the mass concentration at the tip. Pressure that the tip exerts on a support surface is a more fundamental parameter.

In simpler terms for simpler minds -- Panope measured with scales the force exerted at the tip where it meets the seabed. This correlates well too -- duh -- the force exerted at the tip where it meets the seabed. Right?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 02-04-2020, 13:39   #274

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
As in the downward force of gravity?

What a complex concept!

I can't believe we are overcomplicating it to this degree -- even we! The only thing Panope missed was the different weight of steel and lead in water vs air. This will slightly change his % tip weight calculations -- the real force on the tip of lead ballasted anchors will be slightly greater than he calculated, to the extent that the lead is disproportionately in the tips of those anchors.

All kudos to Panope -- just fantastically useful work you've done. You and Noelex have single handedly -- maybe double handedly -- advanced the art of anchoring by miles
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 02-04-2020, 14:03   #275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
I have weighed the Ultra anchor on the same scale that was used to measure numerous other anchors. I'll list the data for each using this format: Anchor name, claimed weight, measured weight, tip weight, and tip to total weight ratio.
Do you have this data for the Rocna?
Old 02-04-2020, 14:42   #276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Do you have this data for the Rocna?
Sadly, I do not.

It was a borrowed anchor (for just the afternoon) and I did not have my act together.

Steve
Old 02-04-2020, 16:08   #277

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

Thanks Panope, for your fantastic research, and videos. You've really done a great job. Your videos are genius! I'm a big believer in testing critical equipment to their extremes, and your setting and resetting at 3 knots (or so) is exactly what I think should be done. It's not a normal reset, it's an extreme reset, and if it works then, it'll work when you really need it to work.

I had pretty much decided on the Spade anchor, since I don't like roll bars, but your videos really "tipped" the scales for me. The spade was by far the most convincing set, and reset, in my opinion. And, as you may know, we opted to buy one last year. So far, we're quite pleased.

If I might guess at another factor, which would only count for the Ultra anchor. The shank is full of air. Which might also help it to keep the business end to the ground. Not that it'll make a big difference, but my old Bruce has such a heavy shank, it couldn't help but land with the shank on the ground. That makes me think that this anchor would be even more inclined to get into the setting position, than the weight balance would suggest. Does anyone remember that anchor that was marketed, about 10 years ago, with a float attached to the shank? Similar concept?

I'm not suggesting anyone should study this, or measure it. It's just an observation I thought I'd mention.

Cheers all.
Paul.
Old 03-04-2020, 04:11   #278

Quote:
Got the Ultra attached to the chain and stowed in the roller.

First of all, I'll say that this is a very impressive anchor. Workmanship is flawless. Design looks smart. I love that this anchor is one piece, has no laps/gaps, and has no exposed dissimilar metals. Anchor came with one of the nicest Owners Manual that I have ever seen.

The chain attach point is a CIRCULAR hole that does NOT allow the boss of my shackle to pass through. This means that I must use 2 shackles (instead of 1) to attach the chain (see pic). This is a minor complaint, but for me (a person who does not use a swivel) a slotted hole would have been slightly better.

Note that the ear of the shackle pin is interfering with the (admittedly small) opening of my bulwarks. This is not an issue during retrieval. However, during deployment, I had to give the chain a "kick" to get the anchor free. This is most certainly an issue for me and ONLY me as this bulwark opening is unique to my boat. This simple solution is to cut off most of the "ear" of the shackle pin and drill a new, smaller hole for the safety wire.

The anchor is a good fit in my roller and is without question, the shiniest thing on my boat. I'll leave it up to the reader to decide if that is a good aesthetic thing or not

My anchor testing has revealed (to me at least) that the issue of "mud sticking to anchors" is not insignificant and it is possible that this Polished Stainless Steel finish will help.

I look forward to discovering some of this anchor's "sea floor" characteristics.

Launch date unknown at this time.

Steve

I'm looking forward to your video featuring the Ultra anchor. Would you recommend going with a bow mounted Ultra, combined with a stowable Fortress/Guardian anchor as a stern anchor?

By the way, the link in your signature to your thread about videos of anchor setting is broken. There's a "https" too much in it.

Keep up the good work
Old 03-04-2020, 09:00   #279

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misbehaving View Post
I'm looking forward to your video featuring the Ultra anchor. Would you recommend going with a bow mounted Ultra, combined with a stowable Fortress/Guardian anchor as a stern anchor?

By the way, the link in your signature to your thread about videos of anchor setting is broken. There's a "https" too much in it.

Keep up the good work

I'll wait until after my testing before I give a recommendation about the Ultra. That said, the many favorable reports from users and the general characteristics of the anchor (similar to spade) would lead me to GUESS that the Ultra will be a fine performing anchor. However, my predictions about anchor performance have been wrong before.

The combination of a "single tooth", non-articulating bow anchor and a Danforth/Fortress as a secondary/stern anchor is arguably the current "state of the art" for a 2 anchor arsenal.

And thanks for the heads-up about the link in my signature. All fixed now.

Steve
Old 03-04-2020, 12:27   #280

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I'll wait until after my testing before I give a recommendation about the Ultra. That said, the many favorable reports from users and the general characteristics of the anchor (similar to spade) would lead me to GUESS that the Ultra will be a fine performing anchor. However, my predictions about anchor performance have been wrong before.

The combination of a "single tooth", non-articulating bow anchor and a Danforth/Fortress as a secondary/stern anchor is arguably the current "state of the art" for a 2 anchor arsenal.

And thanks for the heads-up about the link in my signature. All fixed now.

Steve

Steve, you should put the bow of that shackle through the anchor, not the pin! That way you won't lever the shank unnecessarily.
Walt Whitman
Old 03-04-2020, 13:14   #281

Dock,

The pictured shackle arrangement is the only one possible because the Ultra anchor's chain attach hole is ROUND (not slotted) and therefore will not let the boss of the shackle pass.

This was hashed out a few pages back.

Steve
Old 03-04-2020, 13:26   #282

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

Also, sort of the cause for the Ultra Swivel thread, that you've contributed to...
Old 03-04-2020, 13:48   #283

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Dock,

The pictured shackle arrangement is the only one possible because the Ultra anchor's chain attach hole is ROUND (not slotted) and therefore will not let the boss of the shackle pass.

This was hashed out a few pages back.

Steve

Oh, sorry. Not paying attention! But a round hole of sufficient size should be ok, no? Is the hole simply too small?
Walt Whitman
Old 03-04-2020, 15:22   #284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Oh, sorry. Not paying attention! But a round hole of sufficient size should be ok, no? Is the hole simply too small?
Yes, hole was much too small for the boss of a 7/16" shackle to pass. I use 3/8" BBB chain so I suppose I could try a "high strength" 3/8" shackle (crosby 209a). I'll check this at the next opportunity.

Steve
Old 03-04-2020, 15:41   #285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Steve, you should put the bow of that shackle through the anchor, not the pin! That way you won't lever the shank unnecessarily.
I'm curious how this would "lever the shank"? Anchors on larger vessels always have the pin through the hole in the shank - it actually has a name "anchor ring". I think the only reason we typically do otherwise, is that most of us join straight to the chain and don't have a larger "joining link" at the end of the cable.
Closed Thread

Tags
anchor, grass